Coronavirus

Xd the great

3 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

I was frankly shocked to find out that some employers require a "doctor's note" to use a sick day. That's ridiculous.

Where I work they are phasing out "sick days" and "vacation" entirely and just lumping it all together as "paid time off" and trusting people to manage which is which for themselves.

In Norway we have 3 x 3 days off who is pretty nice however I just tend to call in and tell I don't feel well and work from home but that don't work for all jobs.  
however students don't. Yes its an reason, lots of people went from high school there they had regular tests on homework to living on an campus having just exams at Christmas and spring was an major shock for many. 
Think 1/3 of the students at my engineering class fell off after first year. So students has to have an 90% attendance to class unless note from doctor. 
That rule got suspended last week as doctors will be busy, but today all higher education switched to home study. 

Poland is going in the same direction. From tomorrow schools will be closed for at least a week. Same with movie theaters and other public locations. All mass events are cancelled.

My workplace is turtling up too. Temperature checks will be mandatory, there will be antimicrobial soap and hand sanitizer in all bathrooms and canteen. All non-critical business travels from and to factory will be cancelled.

And of course stores are besieged and emptied from non-perishables as everyone stock up on foodstuffs, hygiene products etc.

I'm starting to feel like a character in post-Apocalyptic movie LOL

I'm currently at home (Virginia, USA) for Spring Break, and I just got this news half an hour ago.

Yesterday, my mother got a text from one of her friends saying that universities throughout Pennsylvania are moving to online classes. Since this measure is apparently taking effect in Virginia as well, I'm guessing that most other colleges across the USA are following suit.

14 minutes ago, Scotius said:

I'm starting to feel like a character in post-Apocalyptic movie LOL

My brother said that too, only he got specific and said it was like a less deadly version of The Andromeda Strain. Sure, the coronavirus has killed before, but it's not as deadly as most media outlets would want you to believe.

• As long as you wash your hands regularly, and watch where you stick them, you should be fine.
    • That's pretty much common sense, anyway.
  • Like with any virus, it's more likely to kill someone with a weakened immune system such as:
    • older people (especially professors in a university)
      • where they'll come into contact from students coming from who-knows-where
    • immunocompromised people.
      • hopefully, my girlfriend doesn't fall into the "major risk" category.
    • anyone who blatantly neglects their own health.
  • First sign of (actual) trouble, have a doctor check you immediately.

6 minutes ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

hopefully, my girlfriend doesn't fall into the "major risk" category.

and Why would she?

6 minutes ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

anyone who blatantly neglects their own health.

like me.

i'm in the trouble

11 minutes ago, Dirkidirk said:
18 minutes ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

hopefully, my girlfriend doesn't fall into the "major risk" category.

and Why would she?

She's slightly immunocompromised, and she's currently in her off-campus apartment in Blacksburg (one of the places I cannot be anywhere near for the next week). However, I just called her and she said that it doesn't necessarily mean that she's at risk of dying.

• She's more likely to catch it than others, but her immune system can fight it off no worse than anyone else.
    • So long as she watches herself and obey the doctor's orders, which I'm pretty sure she will.
  • She's also not going to panic over something outside of her control. 
    • This also applies to everyone on this forum.
      • That doesn't mean we can't talk about it, though.
    • Even if you're in one of the crisis response teams (then kudos to you), panicking never solved anything.

14 minutes ago, Dirkidirk said:
21 minutes ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

anyone who blatantly neglects their own health.

like me.

I don't know your personal health situation, but I'm talking about people who damage themselves by:

• Being addicted to alcohol/drugs.
    • Then again, that could kill you regardless.
  • Not watching what they put in their bodies
  • Not getting enough sleep/moving around.
  • Not cleaning open wounds.
  • Violating quarantine orders
    • Specifically, entering an infected zone.
      • Unless you're designated medical/rescue personnel, you have to be pretty stupid to do that.
    • EXITING an infected zone is another can of worms.

YOU GET THE GIST

Spoiler

Basically, anyone at great risk of dying REGARDLESS of an epidemic.

Well, BC is going into a two week school spring break next week, so that might help. As long as nobody goes travelling to, say, Seattle...

We have tickets to the Canucks vs Tampa Bay game in exactly one week. It'll be interesting to see if that becomes a "fanless" event.

I think the motto is going to become what I posted over in the Best Quotes thread: "I love the smell of Lysol in the morning."

"If you feel sick have a doctor check you"

Check you for what? If you're in the U.S., there are no tests, because the f#&$!@ing President shut down the pandemic response office early in his term, because "that's never going to happen" so who needs it?

Rationing healthcare is awful. Rationing tests is the apocalypse.

If the government cannot react appropriately to a health crisis then you either need a new government or a new form of government.

Triage nurses should not be tasked with deciding who lives and who dies.

50 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Triage nurses should not be tasked with deciding who lives and who dies.

To be fair, that's actually what triage is by definition.

• Those who are likely to live, regardless of what care they receive;
  • Those who are unlikely to live, regardless of what care they receive;
  • Those for whom immediate care might make a positive difference in outcome.

In the case of the elderly vs younger people, it's very much like combat triage where the trauma surgeon can do 1 operation right now, and one has a 90% chance of living, and the other has a 50% of living, they do the guy with the higher chance. Not saying it's not FUBAR Re: testing, but there is also delay with this test (it's 100% new, since new virus) because of some CDC/FDA interaction, apparently. The 3 cases here in NM were tested by the State, ignoring the FDA/CDC from what I have heard.

55 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

If the government cannot react appropriately to a health crisis then you either need a new government or a new form of government.

Yeah, no to the latter. The former is an election thing ;)

As for rationing healthcare, ALL healthcare is rationed, if demand exceeds supply of care. There are finite providers, they have lives, they have finite reserves of empathy. My friend is an ICU doc. He's fantastic, and exactly the doc you want in the ICU taking care of... anyone you care about. Anywhere, he's among the best anywhere on Earth (my wife who has an opinion that matters in this regime agrees). He's told me he has to dole out his compassion/empathy or he'll lose his mind. His care? Yeah, he sees as many as he can see and do a good job. Too many? Care necessarily suffers. That's rationing. The doc that would be spending 1/3 of their time in a day figuring out exactly how to keep you alive has only 1/24 of their day to spend on you because of too many patients.

Heck, out here in flyover, we simply don;t have enough docs. Everyone want to live in DC suburbs (or LA/Bay Area/Tri-State, etc), no on want so live in the middle of nowhere. We get rationing every single day out here. A friend has a kid with Crohn's. Pediatric GI care here isn't rationed, it doesn't exist at all. They go to appointments in Denver or CA. When my wife rotated through neurosurgery as a resident she was THE neurosurgeon for the entire State that night on call. I suppose that puts my baseline in a different place than someone lucky enough to live in a major metro with 100s of literally every specialty.

48 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I've got spring break extended until Wednesday, and online classes only after that (at UMN). It's gonna be weird...Meanwhile I'm washing my hands and not touching my face in Cancun.

The UV will keep things disinfected, too. As I recall from my own spring breaks there was a certain disinfectant we imbibed... pretty sure nothing could live in my body that week ;)

13 minutes ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

Well Trump just suspended air travel from Europe (except GB) to the US for a month, starting friday. That's uhm kinda big news.

It's small news to me. nobody I know lives or is visiting europe. also wouldn't people then just travel to england or other nearby countries to get to america. really now he just put people in the UK at risk of infection. :/

1 minute ago, Dirkidirk said:

also wouldn't people then just travel to england or other nearby countries to get to america.

Immigration and border control is a little more sophisticated these days than this statement assumes.

2 hours ago, tater said:

To be fair, that's actually what triage is by definition.

LOL, yes. That's actually the entire purpose of triage: separating people into three groups -- 1) those who can wait, 2) those for whom immediate help might save them, 3) those whose chances of recovery are so slim that it's unfortunately better to spend the resources on group #2.

The term as it is used today comes from WW1 and the treatment of soldiers on the battlefield.

Edited by mikegarrison

7 hours ago, Scotius said:

there will be antimicrobial soap and hand sanitizer in all bathrooms and canteen

Which probably should be the default.

I distinctly recall an entire section on that in my current employment contract, LOL.

5 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Rationing tests is the apocalypse.

Apparently the problem isn't even rationing, but that CDC has to revalidate all hospital-side tests, no matter whether those work, once the level of the threat is escalated, putting the entire testing process on hold.

The CDC also goofed up with its own testing kit early in the campaign.

https://www.propublica.org/article/cdc-coronavirus-covid-19-test

It also looks like a problematic third level is private entities who the US feds/state and municipal authorities rely on to broadcast the bad news... and who usually neglect that unstated duty.

https://www.propublica.org/article/should-i-quarantine-because-of-coronavirus-it-depends-who-you-ask

Edited by DDE

Once again, the threat here isn't that the virus is particularly deadly. In the grand scheme of things it's not. But it is very infectious, nobody has immunity, and enough people are going to get it at once to overwhelm healthcare systems.

When that happens it's going to get very bad indeed, so any effort put into flattening the curve or expanding healthcare capacity is not wasted.

Important PSA from Margo Simonyan's outfit:

Also, don't mock others' sense of cleanliness:

Edit: keep calm, but don't carry on. Especially if you're an MP.

Edited by DDE

8 hours ago, tater said:

This isn't going to peak (assuming any non-zero mitigation efforts) until summer. In the US coronavirus era, this is the beginning.

I really, really, really hope it does not progress to levels where interstate travel is prohibited. That is going to pretty much obliterate many of my plans for the next six months — college visits, vacations,  entomology research, and possible trips to MIT to work with the TESS team (and perhaps TESSCon2).

On 2/2/2020 at 11:30 AM, tater said:

The current mortality rate for Coronavirus is substantially higher than the usual flu that goes around, which is obviously concerning. The flu kills on the order of 50,000 people per year in the US alone.

False, the death rate of your flu is higher than the corona virus. The media has hyped up this virus more than it should, happened with SARS, swine flu, Ebola. I bet good money that the Yellow fever would kill more than corona.

32 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

False, the death rate of your flu is higher than the corona virus. The media has hyped up this virus more than it should, happened with SARS, swine flu, Ebola. I bet good money that the Yellow fever would kill more than corona.

False, according to the United States' top expert on infectious diseases.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/anthony-fauci-fact-check-republicans_n_5e695561c5b6747ef116958a