Coronavirus

Xd the great

Uh-oh. Russia's clocked in another dozen cases today, including one second-hand transmission from an identified vector, and one kid who spent two days in school before being forced into quarantine.

https://yandex.ru/chat/#/join/e8547709-3a39-4584-9168-b83145d0eb44/1584107376000006

*knocking on wood intensifies*

1 hour ago, Cavscout74 said:

So maybe I'm really dumb here, but unless you have a generator to keep your freezer running, how are loads of meat going to help you if society self-destructs and the lights go out?

It's not about full-on end of the world. We're slowly conducting similar preparations in case we end up subject to the 14-day quarantine - and people in quarantine have been fined for taking the trash. Good neighbors make good snitches.

41 minutes ago, DDE said:

It's not about full-on end of the world. We're slowly conducting similar preparations in case we end up subject to the 14-day quarantine - and people in quarantine have been fined for taking the trash. Good neighbors make good snitches.

As long as nobody spots The Walkin’ Dude aka The Man in Black, aka Randall Flagg, we should be okay 

4 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

As long as nobody spots The Walkin’ Dude aka The Man in Black, aka Randall Flagg, we should be okay 

Haven't seen him, but I have just met this merchant of mirrors...

20 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

LOL. yes here in Norway the main trading site for selling stuff like used cars and furniture also lots of imported stuff are banning sale of virus related items like mask and hand sanitation. Add that hand sanitation is not as good as washing your hands but its easier to use on the go. 

For some reason people are hoarding toilet paper. That one blows my mind, yes its makes sense to have some canned goods and rice, also having bread in the fridge and some very easy to make food like nodes or frozen pizza if nice if you get sick. 
But toilet paper? You don't use much every day, it last forever and its plenty of lower quality substitutes. 

Stuff get weirder, the church has canceled all  the Sunday service, asked people to delay weddings and baptism. They can be done as an private event. 
Funerals can not be delayed, and they have an limit to 30 people in church. while the memorial afterward has an limit of 50 as its an private gathering. 
Now this make some sense as most people dying is old and most attending is their friends and relatives who will also be old and in the risk group exception is their children. 
However its standard that the funeral is open but the memorial is closed 

And yes this is the ultimate  launch window for a video game. 

22 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

And yes this is the ultimate  launch window for a video game. 

Not just video games. Ozon (Russia's Amazon) reports TV subscription sales are up 211% and board game sales are up 80%.

The line to check out at Costco 30 minutes after opening was the length of the store, twice. Started at the registers, went to the back of the store, then turned around came back forward.

Pretty quick though. And everybody was nice and friendly.

2 hours ago, DDE said:

Not just video games. Ozon (Russia's Amazon) reports TV subscription sales are up 211% and board game sales are up 80%.

Yes, yes, yes, but what about KSP sales...?

:)

https://www.al.com/business/2020/03/toilet-paper-manufacturer-in-alabama-says-they-wont-run-out.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=aldotcom_sf&fbclid=IwAR1aiPX_rAVe2eU07iSdlHlyZ4MJ3kUlMrlKWLSmySO15LfVR0QM9mGba-k

Eric Abercrombie, a spokesman for Georgia-Pacific, said the company is seeing two times the normal demand on its retail side.

However, the company says its existing inventory should be enough to meet demand. How? Georgia-Pacific also has a business-to-business side, which supplies offices, theme parks, hotels, restaurants and resorts. As Americans curtail travel and social activities to stem the spread of the virus, the company expects that demand to shrink. While the market picks up in one sector, it is slowing in the other.

“We’re a market-based company, so we’ll continue to review and adjust to meet any demand,” Abercrombie said.

Reiterating that the panic buyers are idiots (and scum).

6 hours ago, magnemoe said:

For some reason people are hoarding toilet paper. That one blows my mind, yes its makes sense to have some canned goods and rice, also having bread in the fridge and some very easy to make food like nodes or frozen pizza if nice if you get sick. 
But toilet paper? You don't use much every day, it last forever and its plenty of lower quality substitutes. 

3 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

The line to check out at Costco 30 minutes after opening was the length of the store, twice. Started at the registers, went to the back of the store, then turned around came back forward.

Long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Spoiler

7.jpg

P.S.
Next step:
"Dear buyers! Only 2 rolls per person! Thanks for understanding."

P.P.S.
Will the Amazonian selva survive the human virus?

Edited by kerbiloid

And behold, a pale horse, and he who sat on it, his name was Hand Sanitizer.

Toss a coin to your newspaperman...

On a more morbid note:

Edited by DDE

You know, I'm not buying into the panic however I'm in an interesting situation: My Fiance and my mother are extremely high risk due to health issues. I physically cannot afford to get it as it will most likely result in atleast one death as there is currently no treatment other than treating symptoms. My Mother needs to go to the ER for a cold about 50% of the time where as my Fiance has an autoimmune disorder which results in "Mild" diseases going severe quite easily with her. My employers had to have a meeting with me relating to this as I work in an area with a local outbreak and they had been trying to pull "Confidentiality" BS which doesn't apply to a state of emergency and a pandemic situation. Wish me luck because I promise there will be lawsuits if I contract it due to "confidentiality". For the healthy individuals just wash your hands and avoid your face, if you're in a situation like myself, plan ahead and pay attention. Best of luck lads!

Also, Moscow schools are switching to optional attendance, and Deripaska the aluminum magnate has called for a proper border shutdown.

Alarmingly, the Moscow government announcement included the introduction of isolation requirement for all individuals in the same dwelling... implying that previously this was not done, and this has lead to at least one confirmed case.

3 minutes ago, Chaotic Protocol said:

and they had been trying to pull "Confidentiality" BS which doesn't apply to a state of emergency and a pandemic situation.

Sadly this is not the case. Neither WHO proclamations nor the US SoE (I imagine that's what we're looking at) has no legal bearing; the new State of Emergency would be the 34th active one, and the US SoE regime is too neutered and militarily/outwards-focused to be particularly useful anyway.

Meanwhile, for comparison while we are on the topic, the Moscow government has just reiterated that the outbreak itself is a viable force majeuere.

9 minutes ago, DDE said:

Sadly this is not the case. Neither WHO proclamations nor the US SoE (I imagine that's what we're looking at) has no legal bearing; the new State of Emergency would be the 34th active one, and the US SoE regime is too neutered and militarily/outwards-focused to be particularly useful anyway.

Interestingly it is a gray area from a legality standpoint. You  have grounding for a lawsuit against an employer if they withhold information relating to a deadly disease outbreak on their property without alerting their employees. Now say that were to cause a death you could have a wrongful death lawsuit on your hands as the employer.

3 minutes ago, Chaotic Protocol said:

Interestingly it is a gray area from a legality standpoint. You  have grounding for a lawsuit against an employer if they withhold information relating to a deadly disease outbreak on their property without alerting their employees. Now say that were to cause a death you could have a wrongful death lawsuit on your hands as the employer.

Ah, I thought they were trying to keep you working on-site.

None of the words permitted on this forum are fit to describe the willful concealment of an infection in the workplace.

5 minutes ago, DDE said:

Ah, I thought they were trying to keep you working on-site.

None of the words permitted on this forum are fit to describe the willful concealment of an infection in the workplace.

At the moment I am trying to avoid a leave as there are no confirmed cases at our plant, however they are attempting to withhold information relating to possible outbreaks in the plant in the name of "confidentiality" which is short for "We don't want to lose production or money". Legally I could take a leave over this given the situation with my Fiance and Mother however I also need the money as that leave would not be a paid leave. It's a cluster over here, and I can't even go grocery shopping for my high risk fiance, who is under self quarantine, because the media made it out to "We're all going to die" so all the healthy 20/ 30 year old's are looting stores before I can even get there to buy anything. It's absolutely ridiculous, and reminds me of how much I hate the general public as the majority are selfish you-know-whats. On a side note: I wish I would've bought stock in Charmin right about now.

11 minutes ago, Chaotic Protocol said:

I wish I would've bought stock in Charmin right about now.

Once the panic buying stops, people will be so stocked up at home that they won't buy any more for a long time. (I assume.)