Coronavirus

Xd the great

Unsorted thoughts: 

It's just dawn here, I hear the birds signing. The world did not stop spinning, doesn't care about our insignificant affairs.

TP: Quite funny, isn't it? When I was a kid and learned about the black markets after WW2, THE currency was cigarettes. Now it's TP. Times are changing.

Yes, we will have to live with SARS-CoV-2. Same as with HIV. Both endemic. Mankind still is, will be. We'll adapt. Always had.

Will this be enough for a true wake-up call? I doubt. It's always the principle of the smallest denominator. 

9 hours ago, DDE said:

Also, anyone who's heard the tale of COVID-2019 in South Korea.

Their Northern neighbors did.

4 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

an absurd amount of yogurt,

What can be better than a good old yogurt...

15 hours ago, Flying dutchman said:

Has anyone got potato's ?

Idiot's over here have been buying them like crazy.

The Martian has proven that potatoes are a thing. They are ready to Mars, are you?

4 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

what’s up with people buying toilet paper? Genuinely asking

Soap, salt, matches are the first prepper's friends. Always needed, never decay (if store them properly), always can be exchanged.
Low-quality stone-hard macaroni, too, but better keep them in glass jars.

Toilet paper is for pampered bourgeous aristocracy.
Or for exhange.

Also maybe they are planning to have a several months-long quarantine at home.
So, @DDE is a proper prepper, he bought a sack of it.
Go laugh at him two months later, and I'm not joking.

P.S.
When the corona hype gets finished, I would not want to be a paper seller. Nobody will buy it for a year...

Edited by kerbiloid

5 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

What can be better than a good old yogurt...

Yoghurt. Yuck. You wanna kill me? :D 

6 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

The Martian has proven that potatoes are a thing. They are ready to Mars, are you?

Dunno, can't get any potatoes here atm?

8 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Toilet paper is for pampered bourgeous aristocracy.
Or for exhange.

As I said earlier, back when I was a kid, the black market currency were cigarettes. Now it's TP. Go figure, civilization advances, no?

1 minute ago, VoidSquid said:

Yoghurt. Yuck. You wanna kill me? :D 

I just quoted, see above.
(Also as I pronounce "g" in South dialect manner, it's always "gh" for me anyway, so I can save a letter, lol)

3 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

Dunno, can't get any potatoes here atm?

A potato ATM / potato vending machine is a thing, but anyway the potatoes can be stored and being eaten for months.
Several months under quarantine siege will change you opinion.
They are buying before the prices raise.

6 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

As I said earlier, back when I was a kid, the black market currency were cigarettes. Now it's TP. Go figure, civilization advances, no?

+1

2 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Several months under quarantine siege will change you opinion.
They are buying before the prices raise.

I got the feeling you might be living in the US? Things are a bit different here, old Europe (as Rumsfeld said).

Mars and Venus. 

38 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

It's just dawn here, I hear the birds signing. The world did not stop spinning, doesn't care about our insignificant affairs.

I second this. People talk about the situation here in King County like it's the end times, but in truth life is going on. The situation isn't great - working from home is unpleasant (for me, at least), and losing what little social life I had doesn't help. But. The sun is still shining (or it would be if this wasn't Seattle we were talking about), the lights are still on, food is still on the shelves, and in general the world is much the same as it was, albeit a lot quieter.

7 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

working from home is unpleasant

You tell my boss, who's still in state of denial. No, you can't work from home, as you're trying to cheat me.

what I'm doing here... ?

Madness squared.

7 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Musk

Who [snip] is Musk?

moschus_ochse_steckbrief_l.jpg

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

7 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

You tell my boss, who's still in state of denial. No, you can't work from home, as you're trying to cheat me.

What makes him think that you can't in office.

7 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Who [snip] is Musk?

A guy who just lost five billions.
I didn't.

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

my boss

Him being crazy? Ignoring that he twice had a heart attack, the last one just 2 weeks ago?

Then: 

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

him think

perfect madness.

Edited by VoidSquid

1 minute ago, kerbiloid said:

remote work gets forced

Not for me. Have to go to office tomorrow. Who cares that I'm in the risk group (preconditions). 

16 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

trying to cheat me.

How can I not love him?

Today in people succumbing to the "WhY dOn'T yOu Do SoMeThInG!?" syndrome:

"Symbolic act"

*headdesk*

Edited by DDE
Rearranged the tweets for presentability

Alright, I'll pilfer another Twitter thread for takes.

If you've washed your hands and then used a hot-air dryer, you're worse off than if you hadn't washed your hands.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-bacterial-horror-of-the-hot-air-hand-dryer-2018051113823

Indonesia gets their top man on the job - Dr. Corona Rintawan.

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1640731/world

Pneumonia cases in Moscow up 39% year-on-year, prompting plenty of speculation.

https://www.rbc.ru/society/13/03/2020/5e62695e9a794761618f1a7b?utm_source=amp_full-link

Here's my take on the current COVID-19 scare:

"Don't PANIC".

Seriously, we've been thru stuff like this before (SARS, H1N1, etc) and we are still here. We will get thru this.

Just wash your hands after you use the bathroom, wash before making breakfast/lunch/dinner, and if you feel like crap, call your place of employment and take a day or two off. Nobody is going to give you crap over that right now, so relax.

I might get it. I might not. If I don't, great! If I do, I will deal with it and not get stupid.

26 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Seriously, we've been thru stuff like this before (SARS, H1N1, etc) and we are still here. We will get thru this.

Some of us will, anyway.

We've also been through the Black Death and the Spanish Flu. It's generally impossible to know for sure how devastating a disease is until you look back after.

Several posts have been removed.  Folks, private communications are private.  It's never appropriate to mention in a public forum anything about what one person may have privately sent another.  Please don't discuss other people's PMs in public.

^^^ that thread is sobering.

Note also that we're still talking about a very small number of cases. We still don't know what the denominator is, though that doc says the ~80% of (tested) cases are mild number seems right. Tested is weighted towards symptomatic people, obviously (as the testing criteria require some symptoms). The Chinese have suggested that "at least 60%" of cases were undetected, and if we use that number, then ~92% of cases are mild.  ~5% are hospital ill, and up to ~3% ICU sick (vs 80%, 14%, and 6%).