Coronavirus

Xd the great

In comes Leonid Bershidskyi, a titan of Kremlinology.

Can he for once make charitable conclusions about the country in the bottom-most pine?

Thought so.

It is, of course, impossible for a country with a GDP the size of Italy to conduct a similar number of tests as Italy.

26 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Yeah, I posted it up the thread at some point. The one about it that bugs me is the flat lines for China. One, I simply don't trust them to be accurately reporting, in the free world there are incentives for information to be distributed regardless of what the gov wants. China? Two, and more importantly, if their numbers are even close to accurate they don;t have anything remotely close to herd immunity, so the second the remove the lockdown it should be a problem again as this is now endemic.

I'm still guessing that this is and has been far more widespread than people know. I'd like to see a serological test for antibodies randomly given to a large number of people and see what % have already been exposed.

48 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Social distancing doesn't necessarily mean staying at home. A friend of mine posted a picture from cross-country skiing yesterday. Looked like a lot of distance between her and anybody else!

I would be worried about getting to the ski resort (is she taking any public transit) and contact at the lodge. Then again if she owns her own equipment and drove herself to the location then good for her.

3 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I would be worried about getting to the ski resort (is she taking any public transit) and contact at the lodge. Then again if she owns her own equipment and drove herself to the location then good for her.

It wasn't at a ski resort. There was no lodge. Hers were the only tracks in the snow. (I should mention that I'm a member of a mountaineering club, and that's how I know this friend.)

Edited by mikegarrison

2 hours ago, tater said:

Yeah, I posted it up the thread at some point. The one about it that bugs me is the flat lines for China. One, I simply don't trust them to be accurately reporting, in the free world there are incentives for information to be distributed regardless of what the gov wants. China? Two, and more importantly, if their numbers are even close to accurate they don;t have anything remotely close to herd immunity, so the second the remove the lockdown it should be a problem again as this is now endemic.

I'm still guessing that this is and has been far more widespread than people know. I'd like to see a serological test for antibodies randomly given to a large number of people and see what % have already been exposed.

and even in the "free word" there are some country who have very iffy numbers.

Germany, i'm looking at you

1 hour ago, tater said:

They closed the ski areas here, which is bizarre to me. Just have people space out in lines, and close food services and other indoor stuff.

Enough skiers rent their skis that it would remain a major spread vector. Plus indoor facilities like restrooms....

1 hour ago, tater said:

They closed the ski areas here, which is bizarre to me. Just have people space out in lines, and close food services and other indoor stuff.

Yeah, the owner of Whistler-Blackcomb (largest ski resort in N. America) just closed all their resorts. They probably also own the ones near you. But yet the clubs and stores in the village were still open.... :confused:  

Allright, Spring Break is here! Early in Alberta, where k-12 is now closed indefinitely. Shouldn’t travel, so let’s go skiing! Oops, closed. Okay, let’s go to Science World.... um, nope, Closed too... 

Okay looks like a good time to stay home, binge-watch, play video games, and make babies...

I did see one positive result of the outbreak:   My wife & I went out do dinner Saturday (my county still has 0 cases and the 2 closest confirmed cases are an hour drive away).   After dinner, I used the restroom and for probably the first time in my life, I had to wait in line to use the sink in a public restroom!!!!   Not only was everyone washing their hands, they were actually washing - scrubbing with soap and hot water - not just splashing some cold water over them and grabbing a paper towel.  Yay!!!

In other news, my workplace is trying to be proactive - we are a regional cargo airline, and need to keep required personnel well.  So for those of us working in company headquarters, they changed things so only essential personnel come to work, everyone else is to work from home.  Obviously most of today was spent with people coming in to get their computers & whatever office stuff they will need, but from now on we will have just 3 of us working at any given time that are essential personnel (flight dispatchers & maintenance control - we're required to be able to work face to face).  Considering my workplace is halfway to the closest confirmed cases and at least half the employees live further in that direction, I'm all for it.  Now I'm just hoping all the managers & executives don't decide they are essential and come in.   I can confirm they are perfectly capable of micromanaging from home just as well as they can in person, and almost all of them are closer to the confirmed cases as well.   There's still the risk of someone catching it at home & spreading it before showing symptoms, but it at least keeps contact to a bare minimum. 

Edited by Cavscout74

Day 4 of Coronavirus Vacation: mostly boring, but I’m doing okay. Stocked up on enough groceries to last the next few weeks, and I’ve found a new daily routine of taking care of a Privet shrub (Ligustrum ibolium) I bought for a research project. There’s already a plan for how schoolwork is going to be done over the next two weeks, and once school opens again, the curriculum will go back to normal. 

Oh, and I also forgot my Steam password so I can’t play KSP. *Quack*

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

They probably also own the ones near you.

The 2 nearest me are owned by my neighbor's family, lol.

Also:

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1587007/?utm_source=showcase&utm_campaign=visualisation/1587007

(dunno if there's a way to embed this chart). Shows the rate of positive to negative testing.

Fine, I guess the cat’s out of the bag now, I can tell you fine hoomans why I’m StrandedonEarth: the freakin mothership won’t pick me up cuz the whole bloody planet is in quarantine!!! I hope the Vogons don’t hear about this or they may get some silly ideas....

The guy on Sam Harris said (and I agree, I suppose because it's what I've said for a while) that the SK numbers are more about testing than anything else, and he thinks the upper limit for CFR is 0.6. Higher numbers are a function of preferentially testing sicker people.

I’m actually starting to get worried now: https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/5053816002

A quarantined, constrained, fearful America is becoming closer and closer to reality. I really don’t want this to ruin the rest of my senior year and admissions to college, or my trips and plans for this summer (most of which are to natural areas and hiking places without many people, but who knows what we’ll be able to do).