Coronavirus

Xd the great

Thunderfoot made a video that illustrates the importance of isolation and quarantine.

This sort of thing should be shown on TV twice per day. Over here we have some local idiots (that ironically happen to be government officials) that don't abide by the rules and have parties.

1 hour ago, Wjolcz said:

What the hell? How come I live in Poland and haven't heard about this?

Welp...

That looks pretty guilty. Pushkov is a known and loud hawk, but this is low even for him.

Feel free to report my prior post, for I can't delete it.

Edited by DDE

2 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Thunderfoot made a video that illustrates the importance of isolation and quarantine

This sort of thing should be shown on TV twice per day. Over here we have some local idiots (that ironically happen to be government officials) that don't abide by the rules and have parties.

This is wrong (stopped watching). It's not an exponential curve, it's more like a logistic curve (total infected). It's actually far more complex than that given discrete people we closely interact with. Then add on that some are already infected or immune. It tops out well below 100% infected, and the acceleration also changes.

31 minutes ago, tater said:

I bailed before he got there. He shouldn't bury the lede ;)

He wouldn't be Thunderf00t then.

And while I dunk on Dr Mason, Moscow's mayor effectively asks Putin to protect him from the incompetence of his provincial counterparts, as more and more regions report their first infected returnees from abroad.

http://kremlin.ru/events/president/news/63053

After the Stavropol Cluster, he has every right to be worried:

http://archive.li/wip/Ij4L1

48 minutes ago, tater said:

I bailed before he got there. He shouldn't bury the lede ;)

Oh he most definitely likes to take his time, repeat himself and extend video run time. Most of his science videos are worth a watch, though, with occasional 5 second skip ahead.

5 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

Oh he most definitely likes to take his time, repeat himself and extend video run time. Most of his science videos are worth a watch, though, with occasional 5 second skip ahead.

I kept skipping ahead, and it kept looking like BS to me. I'm older, and youtubers are not my thing to be honest. I'd rather read.

That or I posted 2 links to different programs that allow you to plot outbreaks properly with not just pop numbers, but actual demographic profiles of each society done with inputs from epidemiologists.

Meh.

Edited by tater

16 hours ago, tater said:

By this rate, things will get interesting in a month or so. We'll quickly get to the point where the diagnosis will be ready before the test can be taken. I can only imagine getting a test in the mail, with a letter attached: "The test results show you are infected with the coronavirus. Please take the test in order to preserve the space-time continuum."

54 minutes ago, Codraroll said:

By this rate, things will get interesting in a month or so. We'll quickly get to the point where the diagnosis will be ready before the test can be taken. I can only imagine getting a test in the mail, with a letter attached: "The test results show you are infected with the coronavirus. Please take the test in order to preserve the space-time continuum."

Spoiler

As a reality check for the frail elderly:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=An+outbreak+of+human+coronavirus+OC43+infection+and+serological+cross-reactivity+with+SARS+coronavirus

SARS was tested for, but the patients in fact had the coronavirus that causes a common cold. 8 of these 95 elderly patients died from it. Not SARS, a cold.

I call it a reality check, because some (a % that increases with age) of the very old can be bumped off by nearly anything.

14k elderly die of RSV every year in the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/rsv/factsheet-older-adults.html

Edited by tater

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

What can you tell them about the isolation?...
The most isolated place in the world, 2100 km from the closest inhabited land, 3500 km from the closest continent.

Apparently, geographical isolation is no match for tourism.

10 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Thunderfoot made a video that illustrates the importance of isolation and quarantine.

It should definitely have been shown to the idiots who held a party of 50 people in SW Connecticut and got over half the attendees infected with COVID-19. People like that are part of the reason why Fairfield County has 270 cases out of 415 in the entire state (the other reason is that we are right on the border with New York, which just surpassed 25,000 confirmed cases). 

45 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

It should definitely have been shown to the idiots who held a party of 50 people in SW Connecticut and got over half the attendees infected with COVID-19. People like that are part of the reason why Fairfield County has 270 cases out of 415 in the entire state (the other reason is that we are right on the border with New York, which just surpassed 25,000 confirmed cases). 

You can cure COVID-19, but you can't cure stupid.