Coronavirus

Xd the great

13 hours ago, DDE said:

Oh, you may jest about swallowing blacklight lightbulbs...

Yes I do, because that's what the suggestions from some politicians who shall not be named boil down to.

13 hours ago, DDE said:

but since COVID seems to be isn't so much a pneumonia as a general bloodborne pathology,

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4783265/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5066074/

Did you actually read those papers? If so how do they relate to treatment of COVD-19 patients?
Well, the first one could in some fashion. It essentially says that we don't understand what UV irradiation of blood does, but there are reports about successful treatments from over 60 years ago, so we should look into it again. So such a treatment may have a positive effect on COVID-19 patients, but that's mostly because we don't understand what the treatment does so we cannot rule out a positive effect.
P.S. For those who didn't read the paper: it doesn't have anything to do with killing bacteria of viruses in the blood, but with how the blood cells or chemistry reacts to UV light.

Here we go:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/25/845015236/nyc-poison-control-sees-uptick-in-calls-after-trumps-disinfectant-comments?t=1587923516643

New York City says its poison control center received a higher-than-normal number of calls in the day after President Trump speculated that injecting household disinfectants could be a coronavirus treatment.

The city's Department of Health and Mental Hygiene said that in an 18-hour period ending at 3 p.m. Friday, the poison control center recorded 30 cases. These included nine "specifically about exposure to Lysol, 10 cases specifically about bleach and 11 cases about exposures to other household cleaners," department spokesperson Pedro F. Frisneda tells NPR. That compares with only 13 cases for the same time frame one year ago.

And that's just New York.

1 hour ago, Shpaget said:

Here we go:

I'll believe it if there were actual 911 responses with proof it happened, not anonymous calls (are they even recorded?) to a poison control center in a city that's like 99% against the President. (ie: the person making the claim on NPR needs to demonstrate it is true, like every other positive claim needs to be demonstrated).  I listen to NPR news every morning of my life, BTW, and have for decades (except when traveling, I listen because it's our clock radio alarm).

Anyone that actually ingests stuff like that deserves what they get.

I'd like to see the transcripts of the poison control center calls. Same story says cleaner related problems are up from last year since before this (due to people keeping more cleaners around out of anti-viral fear?). What could cause an uptick in calls, where they could report more calls, but not want to share actual calls? Reporter calls poison control to ask if X can kill you if ingested. People on both ends of the phone have a good laugh as caller is told, "Duh, bad idea, that will kill you," call gets logged as a question about bleach ingestion. If ED cases of said ingestion show an uptick by adults who are not already suicidal, then yeah, a real problem.

Edited by tater

20 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

That's pretty much true for all XKCD comics.

During the years when I was working with ICAO to create the CO2 certification standard, I used to check XKCD mid-week when I would be at the meetings. And it was remarkable how often the comic was dead on for what we were doing at that meeting. So often, in fact, it felt like Munroe must have actually been in the room with us.

Did you ever look around to see if he had actually managed to sneak in? After all, you can just buy lab coats.

14 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Did you ever look around to see if he had actually managed to sneak in? After all, you can just buy lab coats.

Trust me, nobody who's not being paid to be there *wants* to be at an ICAO working meeting.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

Students at Yangzheng Primary School in Hangzhou wear DIY “one-meter hats” on the first day of the new semester.

Nice idea! I do believe that this might help the small ones take the sting out of not getting close to each other.

On 4/26/2020 at 7:31 AM, tater said:

This makes a lot of sense and would explain the pockets of high immunity, the apparent family-wide immunity and susceptibility patterns, and the overwhelming negative outcomes for people with PHCs. Also kiddie resistance.

[snip]

Edited by Vanamonde

[snip]

I hate to be in a position where I even look like I'm defending stupid statements by... less than brilliant people (diplomatic enough?), but in the current world, there are... "motivated actors" on both sides, and statements about people calling in without real data, yeah, it's too easy to just make a claim and move on.

(I want the old world back where reality isn't putting The Onion out of business)

LOL

Edited by Vanamonde

1 hour ago, tater said:

(I want the old world back where reality isn't putting The Onion out of business)

I'm telling ya, the simulation was supposed to be shut off in 2012...We're gonna start getting floating point errors by 2035...

Edited by cubinator

People, we can discuss our shared experiences with this illness without decided whose country is right or wrong and assigning blame. Some content has been removed from this thread because history has shown that we can't discuss politics without making enemies out of each other. Please leave that side of the situation for other places on the internet. 

6 hours ago, DDE said:

Open the schools, they said

https://www.krqe.com/news/world/european-doctors-warn-rare-kids-syndrome-may-have-virus-tie/

“We already know that a very small number of children can become severely ill with COVID-19 but this is very rare,” said Russell Viner, president of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health. “New diseases may present in ways that surprise us and clinicians need to be made aware of any emerging evidence of particular symptoms.”

The cases were also reported to have features of toxic shock syndrome or Kawasaki disease, a rare blood vessel disorder. Only some of the children tested positive for COVID-19, so scientists are unsure if these rare symptoms are caused by the new coronavirus or by something else. Health officials estimate there have been about 10-20 such cases in Britain and NHS England said it is urgently investigating the reports.

Useful info, but it's still very rare, it's not like they are noticing huge numbers of cases of this.