Coronavirus

Xd the great

For those who don't know (and I've seen enough of satire reposted as real news to know there's more than a few such people around), that's a joke and The Onion is a joke site. 

Now for the real news, there seems to be some funny business with T-cells and other coronaviruses that might account for the asymptomatic cases. 
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/06/22/thoughts-on-antibody-persistence-and-the-pandemic
In addition, it should be noted that the RNA test that we've been using as a "coronavirus test" everywhere may have flaws. Namely, it detects RNA, which is not the same as the live virus, and won't tell you if the person who tests positive can actually infect other people or not. Seeing as that's what we're using for measuring asymptomatic cases, it turns out we don't actually know as much about asymptomatic transmission as we thought we did. Looks like I might have been wrong in insisting on antibodies being the only way to measure immunity, but it's not quite clear what this T-cell response is doing, exactly. This will also be important for vaccines, since T-cells are an important factor in maintaining the very long term (read: lifetime) immunity. We want them to raise antibodies and that's a good approach, but if it turns out one of them doesn't do well in that regard, but gives the T-cells a good kick, perhaps it could still be effective.

3 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

For those who don't know (and I've seen enough of satire reposted as real news to know there's more than a few such people around), that's a joke and The Onion is a joke site.

Thanks I forgot to say that. I forget sometimes how gaping the sar-chasm can be.

With these pattern matching algorithms, you can either undershoot or overshoot, so pick your poison. I'd say, overshooting is a safer bet in this case. It looks funny at first, but quite reasonable when you think about it. 

That said, seeing as this thing can be tripped by just about any random combination of "oxygen" and "frequency", there's clearly some room for improvement here. :) 

1 hour ago, Dragon01 said:

With these pattern matching algorithms, you can either undershoot or overshoot, so pick your poison. I'd say, overshooting is a safer bet in this case. It looks funny at first, but quite reasonable when you think about it. 

That said, seeing as this thing can be tripped by just about any random combination of "oxygen" and "frequency", there's clearly some room for improvement here. :) 

Agree in this case but yes it get a bit stupid but most understand it.
Still its a bit weird, kind of some of the early 2000 adds who simply spammed, buy that you searched for at some site. But none of them did sell nuclear bombs, black holes or hot Draenei girls (an fantasy race in WOW).

And yes even Google kind of miss out here a bit. I searched on IKEA for an sofa twice and never later. I probably have an sofa now. Sofas are not stuff you buy regularly. 
Note its easy to abuse this but it would mostly hurt the company itself in the end, lots of gaming sites has kind of folded because they have been exposed as pretty corrupt. 

Kerbals would wear their space helmets. :) Ain't a safer piece of kit than a closed circuit system. 

Good news on vaccine front, Pfizer's candidate is making Ab counts go through the roof. How this translates to sterilizing immunity against COVID-19 is still an open question, and there's no info in T-cell response, but the outlook is optimistic:
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/07/01/pfizer-and-biontechs-first-vaccine-candidate

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

The show notorious for its protagonists prancing around alien planets with naught a PPE in sight (no, using that redshirt there as a litmus test does not count).

Ironic.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

The show notorious for its protagonists prancing around alien planets with naught a PPE in sight (no, using that redshirt there as a litmus test does not count).

Ironic.

To be fair, the teleport usually filters that stuff out.

Moscow ELISA survey, n=353000, previously in contact with 107000 confirmed infectees. A slight reverse correlation between severity of the primary infection and the probability of other people being infected - asymptomatics actually prove more infectious, probably due to extraneous factors. However, severity of symptoms correlates very strongly.

Overall, 21.7% of the population have antibodies and 3.1-1.2% are actively infected, depending on the analysis method.

https://www.mos.ru/news/item/76988073/

10 hours ago, DDE said:

A slight reverse correlation between severity of the primary infection and the probability of other people being infected - asymptomatics actually prove more infectious, probably due to extraneous factors.

I recall similar results popping up elsewhere. Asymptomatics do appear to be a significant factor driving the pandemic. That's the reason for all that fuss with the masks.

Also, I've got some good news on the T-cell front:
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/07/15/new-data-on-t-cells-and-the-coronavirus

Turns out, the previous SARS did, in fact, leave a lasting mark on the immune systems of people who were exposed to it, and it is similar to what the convalescents from the current pandemic have. Even better, the profile is similar to what was discovered in patients dosed with Moderna's vaccine candidate, which is very good news indeed. As crazy as it sounds, it looks like that one might actually work.