Coronavirus

Xd the great

@DDE - thanks for sharing! 

I'm quite familiar with the headache you described... And sadly, like my loss of smell the headaches seem to be lingering. 

My son had the fever and thighbone pain, but no inoculations.  I had the first shot of the inoculation on Monday, my son was positive Wednesday and by Friday I tested positive... But I never got a fever, just the fatigue.  Weird how everyone seems to have a unique covid experience. 

Although I have a question:  I don't get migraines but I've generally heard that the Covid headache is different from the migraine headache.  Did you find them to be similar? 

On 2/17/2021 at 6:22 PM, DDE said:

How long was it between vaccination and infection?

When you say that you did a spike test, I assume that you mean a test for anti-spike antibodies/ spike-reactive antibodies?

Did they sequence the variant to see if it had, for example, the E484K mutation?

Ps, I also get neck pain-induced migranes, they suck, and my wife is always skeptical about it... She doesn't understand how neck pain can cause a headache

we came in contact with someone who tested positive. were vaccinated so we should be fine, but now were stuck in quarantine for a few days. looks like were finally getting hit, they had done quite a good job keeping it out of town till now., never had more than 3 active cases simultaneously. and we only had one die while on vacation out of state (mardi gras apparently).  was told when we had our second vax that the town was roughly 40% immunized. probably not enough for herd immunity.  

Levada just came through with a brilliant poll.

https://www.levada.ru/2021/03/01/koronavirus-vaktsina-i-proishozhdenie-virusa/

Cliff notes. In our Figure 1, the actual anti-vaxxers are the dark-blue line in the bottom left.

Spoiler

baXyR-c-v-.png

Figure 2, willingness to vaccinate with Sputnik-V across age groups (same as light-blue line in Figure 1, total: 30%), note trend with age.

Spoiler

D47Lv-v-.png

And in Figure 3, the middle sector believe COVID-19 is a bioweapon, for an total of 64% across all age groups.

Spoiler

foMkg-.png

It's a very interesting peak.

• 2 weeks later...

ONE YEAR OF THE PANDEMIC
And, well, vaccines take a minute, but, boy were the Covid vaccines fast

On 3/12/2021 at 11:49 AM, DDE said:

Took the first Sputnik jab. Mild drowsiness, maybe a fever. Can't tell if it's the vaccine or a Friday.

I think we're at 11PM Blursday, got a while to go until it ends, but, I think we can all see the end of the tunnel.
Oh, and also, congrats, Grandfather got his first jab too a few weeks back.

I started working from home on March 11th 2020, which was a Thursday. I had full intent on coming back into work on Friday. However by Thursday night it became more and more clear that going back might not be the best idea.

By Friday morning I was officially in "Work from home for the foreseeable future mode". 

That was roughly a year ago.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to work from home this entire time, but the experience is no doubt different, and I never believed I'd still be doing it a full year! 

Looking forward to my turn for the vaccine, but I'm starting to realize I have some form of PTSD from my time in the hospital (I posted about this here). I'm having a very difficult time getting myself to go to any small family functions, even though the numbers in my area have dropped significantly, the people at the function already have partial immunity or are in their own bubbles so logically it should be less risky than me going out in public.

Just the idea of doing it "irks" me. Not sure if it's wise to just keep waiting it out until I get the vaccine to ease my mind, or make the jump and go out with just some precautions. 

turns out i have to fly to anchorage to collect mom after her injury. anyone got any tips for flying under covid? i got to leave in a few hours. medicaid booked my flight, they gave me zero lead time on this one, i have to leave around noon.

Edited by Nuke

3 hours ago, Scotius said:

Be prepared for a contact with an anti-masker?

heh. if i see someone without a mask im probably going to take mine off too. i  had a bad bout with rsv before the pandemic went down, been hard to breathe ever since, especially with a mask. i dont exactly have a doctors note for that and i really dont want any trouble from the tsa or the airline. ive been vaccinated myself so its more about complying with federal mandates and protecting others than anything.  i also dont intend to wear masks anymore the second there are reports of surplus vaccines going to waste due to low demand. im not going to mask for anti-vaxers, id rather let evolution do its thing. 

Edited by Nuke

10 hours ago, Nuke said:

turns out i have to fly to anchorage to collect mom after her injury. anyone got any tips for flying under covid? i got to leave in a few hours. medicaid booked my flight, they gave me zero lead time on this one, i have to leave around noon.

Flying is probably fine. Flying isn't as dangerous as what was originally thought to be the case as masks are heavily enforced, and planes are a "filtered air environment". Obviously if you sit next to someone who is sick your risk skyrockets, but that's probably the only way you could get it. I'd just wear a good n95 level mask for the flight and minimize any snacking during the flight. 

Once in Anchorage its possible there will be other people without masks, as it isn't mandated. However its worth keeping in mind Alaska has one of the highest vaccination rates in the entire country. So just because you see someone without a mask doesn't necessarily mean they are a vector. Combine this with the general low risk population, there are plenty more riskier places to be during the pandemic. 

On 3/22/2021 at 3:43 PM, MKI said:

Flying is probably fine. Flying isn't as dangerous as what was originally thought to be the case as masks are heavily enforced, and planes are a "filtered air environment". Obviously if you sit next to someone who is sick your risk skyrockets, but that's probably the only way you could get it. I'd just wear a good n95 level mask for the flight and minimize any snacking during the flight. 

Once in Anchorage its possible there will be other people without masks, as it isn't mandated. However its worth keeping in mind Alaska has one of the highest vaccination rates in the entire country. So just because you see someone without a mask doesn't necessarily mean they are a vector. Combine this with the general low risk population, there are plenty more riskier places to be during the pandemic. 

i just got back today. seems that practically everyone was masking. i maybe saw one or two people without but not inside the main terminal past security. on the plane the flight attendants did a pretty good job of making sure people were wearing their masks correctly. at my stop in juneau the cleaning crew were especially garbed up in protective gear. very few people in anchorage were mask dodging. compared to where i live. i wore my mask the whole time, but now i feel like hocking up a hairball.

one anomaly i noticed. nobody stopped me to check my temperature or my vaccination status between the gate and the pickup area. there were announcements that out of state travelers needed to have proof of negative test before leaving the airport. but seems it would be very easy to dodge. likewise coming back through there, no health screening at all. i think they really dropped the ball on this one. getting into the hospital on the other hand involved a much more thorough health screening.  

alaska has done a good job with vaccination. when i got my second dose back in february, i was told we were up to a 40% vaccination rate among adults in our community. our biggest outbreak lasted a week. there have been a couple more vaccination sessions since then. so i think we are on the verge of heard immunity if we have not already obtained it. anchorage would be our major hotbed since that's the most populous city. 

On 3/23/2021 at 9:59 AM, kerbiloid said:

In medieval times it was polite to move the mask up to show the face.

Now it's the opposite.

My favorites are when someone wants to talk to me they lower their mask, or when someone is about to sneeze and lowers their mask to do it -_-

On 3/22/2021 at 6:48 PM, Nuke said:

I also dont intend to wear masks anymore the second there are reports of surplus vaccines going to waste due to low demand. im not going to mask for anti-vaxers, id rather let evolution do its thing. 

If antivaxxers think they have the right to not protect themselves, and allow themselves to be massively productive virus factories, I should have the right to uncover my face and take a small risk of producing a tiny amount of virus from a short lived asymptomatic infection.

On 3/30/2021 at 5:14 PM, DDE said:

Amidst all the brouhaha, AstraZeneca has decided that a rebranding is its saving grace: https://www.lakemedelsverket.se/sv/nyheter/astra-zenecas-vaccin-byter-namn-till-vaxzevria?utm_source=yxnews&utm_medium=mobile

They can rebrand all they want, their vaccine is useless in South Africa. Their only hope is that the UK variant outcompetes the South African variant (and likely all the P.X variants, starting with the original P.1 or/B.1.1.28.1/B.1.1.248 coming from Brazil.

On another note... I'm starting to think that the Lab Escape Hypothesis is the most plausible origin for the virus.

The closest identified viruses come from areas of China far away from Wuhan (papers from chinese groups, WHO report)

Samples of said viruses were sent to the wuhan lab )WHO report)

The wuhan lab has been alleged to conduct gain of function experiments, and when directly asked about that, gave a deflecting non-answer (Feb 9th WHO press conference)

Concerns about safety at the wuhan lab were raised in 2018 (news reports of leaked diplomatic cables)

The estimated time that this virus started spreading is right when they were moving the lab to a new building.   (WHO report)

Moving hazardous material from one "secure" facility to another is an obvious security risk, with an obviously elevated risk of an accident.

We still don't have anything approaching full disclosure of what they had there/what they were working on.

To me the lab escape hypothesis seems like the best explanation of all the available ones.

To say it is just a natural spillover from an animal reservoir raises the question: where is the natural reservoir, and how was it so well adapted to humans when it arrived in Wuhan, without also causing outbreaks in the area near the animal reservoir?

The WHO report comes no closer to answering those questions.

3 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

I'm starting to think that the Lab Escape Hypothesis is the most plausible origin for the virus.

The closest identified viruses come from areas of China far away from Wuhan (papers from chinese groups, WHO report)

The wuhan lab has been alleged to conduct gain of function experiments, and when directly asked about that, gave a deflecting non-answer (Feb 9th WHO press conference)

Concerns about safety at the wuhan lab were raised in 2018 (news reports of leaked diplomatic cables)

The estimated time that this virus started spreading is right when they were moving the lab to a new building.   (WHO report)

Moving hazardous material from one "secure" facility to another is an obvious security risk, with an obviously elevated risk of an accident.

We still don't have anything approaching full disclosure of what they had there/what they were working on.

The vehemence and paranoia with which the Chinese Government attacked any hint of it being from the Wuhan lab is certainly suspicious.  Lab accidents happen.  

If they were correct in their assertion that it was not a leak - then being open and letting 3d parties confirm their assessment would have been smarter than how they handled it. 

Here in Brazil the new variant has already spread to all states, not to mention that the state government (since the federal denies the need for lockdown, but I think it has a lot of smell of political campaign) is in that opens a little, closes a little, the federal government is trying to release an "emergency aid" that will vary between R$ 150, R$ 250 ou R$ 375 (26,63/ 44,38/66,56 dollars).

The federal government is betting on "early treatment" Ivermectin, Hydroxocloroquine, Nitazoxanide I do not believe in these remedies, the only one that for me can work is the Rendesivir but needs more studies to prove. In how much that vaccination that is a little slow for a country symbol of vaccination.

We recorded yesterday the sad mark of 3.500 deaths ;.;.

5 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

On another note... I'm starting to think that the Lab Escape Hypothesis is the most plausible origin for the virus.

To me the lab escape hypothesis seems like the best explanation of all the available ones.

To say it is just a natural spillover from an animal reservoir raises the question: where is the natural reservoir, and how was it so well adapted to humans when it arrived in Wuhan, without also causing outbreaks in the area near the animal reservoir?

The hypothesis of an accident that was a biological accident should be considered.

They can rebrand all they want, their vaccine is useless in South Africa. Their only hope is that the UK variant outcompetes the South African variant (and likely all the P.X variants, starting with the original P.1 or/B.1.1.28.1/B.1.1.248 coming from Brazil.

A test of oxford vaccines  showed 15% overall efficacy.

Yes

antivaxxers

Here are many people passing false information, "vaccines are made from aborted fetuses" "vaccines will change dna" "vaccines cause autoimmune disease".

Every thing we hear

Edited by Lo.M