Coronavirus

Xd the great

8 hours ago, tater said:

Note that Paul Offit said he thought that fecal oral transmission is a likely mode since flu-like transmission is really impossible to stop (according to him).

Original SARS cause diarrhea but little to no fecal-oral transmission. Given this thing is 99% identical it might be about the same...

Went to the doctor again in Thursday, no family members was tested anything, so it's probably not it.

As of yesterday the numbers stood at 369 confirmed cases nationally, 250-ish around the capital area. We already have twice the average world CFR (8% vs 4%) - probably has to do with late diagnosis, and only admitting the worst cases.

Also someone that my family know has died due to the virus.

Can't tell what's going to happen.

From what I can see, Croatia seems to be coping fairly well.

One large hospital was emptied of all patients that were not in life threatening condition (not related to corona) and new equipment for dealing with respiratory issues has been installed. In addition to that, military has installed a field hospital in front of it. This is intended to be the central hospital for corona patients in serious condition, while other hospitals will receive patients only after this one is filled.

Furthermore, a large sports hall is being prepared for treating mild cases.

So at the moment, with ~160 cases, we have plenty of capacity, but unfortunately quite a few people are not following the "stay at home" directive so the number is still rising.

Vektor boasts of exporting 100,000 kits to CIS/EEU, Iran, Mongolia and North Korea; soon to be supplied to Egypt, Venezuela and Serbia. Vektor kits were used to identify first cases in Belarus, Armenia, Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan.

https://www.rospotrebnadzor.ru/about/info/news/news_details.php?ELEMENT_ID=14081

Note, however, that this is about Russia's daily production run

https://russian.rt.com/russia/news/728960-rossiya-test-sistemy-koronavirus

On 3/15/2020 at 8:28 PM, Scotius said:

Well. People locked in homes. Among them significant percentage of couples.

:wub::wub::wub:

I wonder what quarantine will do to demographics nine months from now? :lol:

On 3/16/2020 at 9:39 AM, KerikBalm said:

Ughhh.... Just what we need, even more population growth driving the population density up.

Personally, I am rooting for the virus until we get our population under control

The Respirator Gap

(c) Tyler Rogoway

http://archive.md/GqFvh
After the US expended its strategic supply of respirators in 2009, it was not replenished.

And that's not even the gap they should be worrying about.

o_0

Note that Meduza are the last people to expect favourable bias from.

Edited by DDE

The prognosis of people who need a vent is pretty lousy anyway according to a page of Chinese data I saw. (meaning if you are sick enough to need one ~80% die anyway, of course the trick is that you don't know which ones will be the ones who die, or you could put them on hospice and triage).

23 minutes ago, tater said:

Now they just need to license it out for production in other countries. We desperately need more testing here, like S. Korea drive-by style. We're told that mild cases should just stay home, no testing necessary. Meanwhile, my son went on a school snowshoeing/tubing trip to Mt Seymour Mar 6, and for the last few days he's had a sore throat which became a cough. No fever, though. But they won't want to test him, although I think it would be a good data point. That's the problem here, by not testing everyone who has symptoms, they miss a lot of data . So it looks like we're extra-homebound, now.

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Mar 6, and for the last few days he's had a sore throat which became a cough. No fever, though.

That's not really symptomatic of corona where incubation is usually shorter, fever is common and sore throat is not.

Good luck, though, and stay safely indoors.

Speaking of which, Croatia enacted a ban on public transportation, both inside and between cities. Only taxis will be allowed to operate, while bus service will be restricted to essential workforce that will be issued special IDs. Islands are off limits to everybody but inhabitants.

As of this afternoon we're at 206 cases, +76 from yesterday evening, which is a bit scary growth.

Edited by Shpaget

https://medium.com/six-four-six-nine/evidence-over-hysteria-covid-19-1b767def5894

True community spread involves transmission where people get infected in public spaces and there is no way to trace back the source of infection. WHO believes that is not what the Chinese data shows. If community spread was super common, it wouldn’t be possible to reduce the new cases through “social distancing”.

“We have never seen before a respiratory pathogen that’s capable of community transmission but at the same time which can also be contained with the right measures. If this was an influenza epidemic, we would have expected to see widespread community transmission across the globe by now and efforts to slow it down or contain it would not be feasible,” said Tedros Adhanom, Director-General of WHO.

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Now they just need to license it out for production in other countries. We desperately need more testing here, like S. Korea drive-by style. We're told that mild cases should just stay home, no testing necessary. Meanwhile, my son went on a school snowshoeing/tubing trip to Mt Seymour Mar 6, and for the last few days he's had a sore throat which became a cough. No fever, though. But they won't want to test him, although I think it would be a good data point. That's the problem here, by not testing everyone who has symptoms, they miss a lot of data . So it looks like we're extra-homebound, now.

Don't see why they would not, its not as people will complain if they set the license fee so they made the same licensing or producing it themselves or add an small bonus. 
Its not that this is very expensive stuff and people are kept isolated for 14 days because they are suspected to have corona rater than test and resolve. If they have it they get quarantine so does family and other they have close contact with unless separated and tested. 
Bottleneck might be manufacturing but doubt it as they managed to do this fast. 

3 hours ago, Shpaget said:

That's not really symptomatic of corona where incubation is usually shorter, fever is common and sore throat is not.

Yes, but the question I haven't seen answered is if mild symptoms always presents with a fever. I believe the sore throat showed up Wednesday, which would be 11 days. There's a reason the quarantine is 14 days long, no? And sore throat is listed as a symptom on the BC website

I could be wrong, especially since I seem to be unable to find the article now, but I believe there was one study where they tested entire population of a town and found that some people infected show no symptoms at all, so no I would definitely not say that fever is always present.

Edit:

Not the article I was looking for, but still:

http://weekly.chinacdc.cn/en/article/id/e53946e2-c6c4-41e9-9a9b-fea8db1a8f51

1.2% of cases in this study are without symptoms.

Bottom line, while it certainly can't be ruled out that your kid is infected (even with the proper test), based on symptoms it's more likely it's something else, like a cold. Of course, monitor his condition.

Another edit:

I should really refrain from this "KSP Forum MD" stuff.

Edited by Shpaget

18 hours ago, DDE said:

The Respirator Gap

(c) Tyler Rogoway

http://archive.md/GqFvh
After the US expended its strategic supply of respirators in 2009, it was not replenished.

And that's not even the gap they should be worrying about.

o_0

Note that Meduza are the last people to expect favourable bias from.

The UK have asked other industries to start making ventilators. There's some kind of generic design already out there, but a UK company that makes ventilators, Smiths Group, have provided the design of their ventilators with the idea that lots of other companies can manufacture the components for them.   People seemed a bit sceptical when first proposed, but it seems to be gaining traction, with some big companies like Rolls Royce, Airbus, McClaren and Vauxhall getting behind it.  They reckon they can double the amount of ventilators the NHS has in 2 weeks.

So, my mom was just among the last few people to enjoy a swimming pool in Moscow. All pools and fitness centers shut down, effective immediately.

13 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

but the question I haven't seen answered is if mild symptoms always presents with a fever.

Our Kommunarka guy says no, there isn't a single definitive COVID symptom.