Coronavirus

Xd the great

32 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

You can cure COVID-19, but you can't cure stupid.

Especially if it afflicts the city's infectious disease medical advisor.

Yeah, Stavropol is pretty liquided.

Meanwhile, Moscow's just taken the dubious step of permitting mild COVID-19 cases to remain in self-isolation.

That is not the China way. Quarantine must be enforced.

A society without colour differentiation of hazmat suits is without purpose!

Spoiler

ET4rhHgU8AEADUM?format=jpg&name=large

20 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I am to take all my stuff out of my dorm room and fully move out as soon as I can, in anticipation of probable travel bans in the near future.

I've been working at home the last couple of weeks, but the office was still open. However, today was the last day the building was open. As of tonight, access is restricted to security only. People were planning to go in today to pick up things like plants that needed to be taken care of. They also have been allowing people to take not just their laptops home but also box computers and monitors and mice and stuff too.

5 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I've been working at home the last couple of weeks, but the office was still open. However, today was the last day the building was open. As of tonight, access is restricted to security only. People were planning to go in today to pick up things like plants that needed to be taken care of. They also have been allowing people to take not just their laptops home but also box computers and monitors and mice and stuff too.

I thought I might borrow some equipment for drawing very small critters for a class, but I'm worried I may not be able to bring the stuff back before they lock everything down here if I do that.

43 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I am to take all my stuff out of my dorm room and fully move out as soon as I can, in anticipation of probable travel bans in the near future.

So where do you go?

It's WAY too soon to forget about this damned thing and carry on our lives, but..

Spoiler

90844619_3019510201404257_90402314788473

In dark red, the death count.

In light pink, the number of registered sick people - only badly sick people are tested and so registered, we don't have enough test kits for SARS-CoV-2. The number of infected people is believed to be 11 times bigger.

However, the unfortunate casualties are confirmed to be by COVID19.

The medicine being tested here (that I will not name to avoid problems, there're people dying by auto-medication, the medicine is dangerous by itself!) is being credited to save lives, as no one that took the medicine had died , and all of who took it are getting better.

But again, any collateral effects from the medicine are not determined yet.

Sit tight and fasten your seat-belts - respect quarantine where it's due. Things are expected to get better as the Summer come on the North Hemisphere.

Edited by Lisias
Kraken damned tyops

33 minutes ago, tater said:

So where do you go?

I'm currently living at home with my family, a short drive from campus. This is where I'll bring my stuff. 

I never came back to campus after spring break except to grab a few essential things after my trip to bring home (mainly winter clothes :D), since the directives to start shutting everything down came during spring break.

On 3/23/2020 at 1:03 PM, Sepone said:

Toilet paper, of course! Isn't that how stock markets work? Everybody's buying, so others feel the urge to buy, too. Before the price increases, you know! And then, all of a sudden, people realize they can't dump enough mulch in the porcelain throne to ever use up this pile of paper, and the stock price crashes... :blink:

Granted the stock marked work with lots of panic reaction and group think. Take Weework as an good example, problem here was that the stock was vastly overvalued and it was pretty obvious for anybody who did the numbers. 
Its flexible office space rental who is an solid business, but its also one with fairly slim margins and limited growth, in short its not Facebook or Google and can not be. 
However many probably bought the stock to  sell later then price had increased who is common for lots of the bubbles. 

Toilet paper however is something you use at an fairly low and regular rate, often bought at bulk and you have multiple fallbacks. 
I say its more idiocy, remember once it was an rumor of an transport strike to the grocery stores in Norway. It was an non issue as the strike would be settled within hours. One lady bought 20 liter of milk and then did not know that to do with it as it would expire in days :)
Some years later it was an transport strike to the grocery stores but one common chain had their own transport company or something so they was not affected. This way the public was not seriously affected.

1 minute ago, magnemoe said:

One lady bought 20 liter of milk and then did not know that to do with it as it would expire in days :)

I suppose you could make a bunch of cheese with it. Cheese is a good way to store milk.

2 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I suppose you could make a bunch of cheese with it. Cheese is a good way to store milk.

Yes, but she probably did not know how, she was just stupid on all levels. 

7 hours ago, DDE said:

Especially if it afflicts the city's infectious disease medical advisor.

Yeah, Stavropol

It was a spontaneous unscheduled attempt of rapid vaccination of the medical staff.

When the stupid virus comes, the infectionists will already be immune after getting cured.

Upd.
Rapid Unplanned Vaccination.

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

When the stupid virus comes, the infectionists will already be immune after getting cured.

Britain: if everyone is sick, no-one is

Sannikova: hold my Abrau-Dyurso!

Just thoughts.

The statistics confirms the obvious assumption that the coronaillness is more dangerous for old persons with weakened organism.
But it lacks (and probably will lack for ethical reasons) one more parameter.

Some old persons are just old, ill, and weak, but keep clear mind and will
Other even without the virus can stay alive only with external assistance just because they don't remember to fulfil their basic needs in time, they don't rule their body even without the virus problems.

Does the coronavirus mortality raise significantly in both groups or mostly in the second one?

Uh-oh. Kazakhstan reports a COVID case arriving from Russia's Omsk, in which there's half a thousand quarantined individuals but no reported cases; no mention of coming from Europe before that, either.

http://today.kz/news/kazahstan/2020-03-25/794549-o-samochuvstvii-patsienta-s-koronavirusom-rasskazali-v-sko/

Russian authorities are pushing back, mostly on the grounds that she couldn't have gotten to where she ended up by direct train as reported by Kazakh news, so blame can be shifted around.
Because otherwise this looks like unchecked community spread.

16 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Just thoughts.

The statistics confirms the obvious assumption that the coronaillness is more dangerous for old persons with weakened organism.
But it lacks (and probably will lack for ethical reasons) one more parameter.

Some old persons are just old, ill, and weak, but keep clear mind and will

From this morning press conference in Croatia:  418 total cases, among which 10 are on respirator. Regarding those 10, average age is 61, most have other illnesses and are chronically ill (they didn't elaborate).

20 000 were issues self isolation order, 150 in quarantine. Average age is 49, 57/43 male to female ratio.

Sure, it's not a big sample, but it does seem like death is much more likely in those who have other, usually not life threatening conditions, but in combination with corona, it's just too much for body to handle.

22 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Does the coronavirus mortality raise significantly in both groups or mostly in the second one?

COVID19 is essentially a pneumonia that spreads like a flu. The information I have to this moment says that the root cause of mortality is the immunological system.

The persons at most risk are the ones with disieses that compromise the immunological system, as cardiorespiratory illness, diabetes, people with transplants taking immunosuppressors, you name it.

So, assuming I understood correctly what you mean, the clearness of mind is irrelevant for this disease. An Alzheimer's victim with a strong immunological system, assuming we have all the data for the SARS-CoV-2 M.O.,  should withhold the COVID19 better than an elderly those body is aged enough but is perfectly lucid.

3 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

From this morning press conference in Croatia:  418 total cases, among which 10 are on respirator. Regarding those 10, average age is 61, most have other illnesses and are chronically ill (they didn't elaborate).

20 000 were issues self isolation order, 150 in quarantine. Average age is 49, 57/43 male to female ratio.

Sure, it's not a big sample, but it does seem like death is much more likely in those who have other, usually not life threatening conditions, but in combination with corona, it's just too much for body to handle.

Yes, I get it.

I mean that some old persons can willingly withstand the illness, while others don't due to the mind issues.
So, as unlikely there is a statistics distinguishing them, it's not obvious is there a difference like "+10% mortality rate for clear-minded ones, +90% for the mind-challenged ones, +40% in total".

14 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

I mean that some old persons can willingly withstand the illness, while others don't due to the mind issues.

Now I get it. Deep stress is known to negatively affect the immunological system. But I'm unaware of any study specific to this detail, all I had read are opinions from physicians based on personal experiences.

38 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

So, as unlikely there is a statistics distinguishing them, it's not obvious is there a difference like "+10% mortality rate for clear-minded ones, +90% for the mind-challenged ones, +40% in total".

For what it's worth, there's a correlation between IQ and life expectancy.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/research-confirms-a-link-between-intelligence-and-life-expectancy/

Putin's just declared next week a national holiday. All non-essential personnel are on mandatory paid leave.

Plus a tax hike to make people (like me) pull money out of banks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc4rmCzdlpo

And here I was expecting a mere state of emergency. I was literally busy drawing up a project timeline!