Coronavirus

Xd the great

8 hours ago, sh1pman said:

A colleague told me today that it’s better to stop giving handshakes because of the virus. Not sure if he was serious or he just dislikes me for some reason.

@kerbiloid

9 hours ago, tater said:

I'm unsure if there was some way they could recover airfare by cancelling now, we were perfectly fine with rolling the the dice at cancelling at literally the last minute even if it meant eating the $1500. :/

Had an abrupt cancellation yesterday. Recovered everything, I think.

A major world leader said today, "So the same vaccine could not work? You take a solid flu vaccine, you don't think that would have an impact, much of the impact, on corona?"

Not going to say who it is lest we delve into politics but....

.....Odin help us.

On 2/4/2020 at 2:24 AM, magnemoe said:

Yes I agree that infection rates is very under reported. This is an bad flue, think pig flu. 
Its not Spanish flue or Sars, granted if Spanish flue hit today we has way better tools  but it would still be an serious blow. 
For some realistic horror movie stuff in this time.

This is not the flu (caused by Influenza A, B, C, D), it just has some similar symptoms.

This is COVID-19 and it's caused by SARS-CoV-2, also coronavirus, just like SARS-CoV which causes SARS.

These distinctions are important since we'll probably have to live with this for a long time.

45 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

A major world leader said today, "So the same vaccine could not work? You take a solid flu vaccine, you don't think that would have an impact, much of the impact, on corona?"

Not going to say who it is lest we delve into politics but....

.....Odin help us.

Hey, he's changed his mind, he's pro-vacs now! ...I think.

Healthy young child goes to doctor, gets pumped with massive shot of many vaccines, doesn't feel good and changes - AUTISM. Many such cases!

Sadly, he changes his mind on virtually everything, in supposedly random but usually highly unfortunate patterns.

Now, lest this thread becomes too short on dark humour:

Edited by DDE

5 minutes ago, DDE said:

Now, lest this thread becomes too short on dark humour:

Really, really didn’t expect to see one of Karlin’s tweets here. Nice surprise.

Unfortunately, he also predicts millions dead and unprecedented economic collapse worldwide.

I'd imagine the 0.2% mortality for all the younger age brackets is largely filled with people who have chronic health issues.

The really weird thing WRT flu as a model is that flu is supposedly less infectious (lower R0), but that there are so few coronavirus cases. This has been around since before December in China. The idea that there are only ~80k cases (tested/confirmed) in China seems counter to it being 3X more infectious than flu, heck, 800k is too few. A new flu appears, and 3 months later in the US (<25% the pop of the PRC) there would be 10s of millions of cases, even with 40-50% of the people being vaccinated. The US would only have a few hundred thousand of those millions of cases "confirmed" via testing, since almost no one is tested for flu, they present with symptoms, and the doc says, "yeah, you have the flu that's going around." No test needed.

So I have to wonder if the denominator in this is not 10X higher than reported, but perhaps 100X higher, honestly.

If it's 10X higher, the mortality for younger people is 0.02%, and for the elderly it's flu-like. If it's 100X higher, it's way safer than flu.

The numbers just don't add up.

12 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

3.4% of confirmed cases have died.

I'm going to be really surprised if the actual number of (most mild) cases is not maybe 1-2 orders of magnitude higher than the number of confirmed cases.

My wife does this multiple times a day ^^^^ in the OR.

At some points the kids when little had a sort of colored liquid bath soap. Getting somethign like that is a good way to practice to see if you cover 100% of your hands when washing.

I'm not there in the OR, given the cases she had yesterday, and the talk of burning her scrubs, she was probably muttering "out, out damn MRSA."

LOL, she said this is 100% accurate with all hospital staff MRSA (or anythign infectious) vs bedbugs:

Spoiler

5 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Saw this the other day: 

This is nonsense. The PR firm that did the polling didn't even release the questions they asked of the 737 people they polled. It's likely there was no connection to coronavirus at all. It's not a beer I would ever drink, for example (I'm not much of a beer drinker, but when I do I don't like to be able to see through it (porter or stout)).

Anyway, the press is showing their quality here by reporting it—not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

The South Koreans have done a fantastic job with broader testing, and this is giving a much more accurate picture of the Case Fatality Rate. They're at 0.6% overall (which is substantially worse than seasonal flu, still). They have no youth fatalities at all so far, but they are likely going to come in at seasonal flu level at some point (mostly with younger people with preexisting, serious health issues). Only the elderly are are a substantial risk that's largely in excess of seasonal flu (for reference, elderly people in the US have a case mortality rate just under 1% from seasonal flu according to the CDC).

5 hours ago, tater said:

This is nonsense. The PR firm that did the polling didn't even release the questions they asked of the 737 people they polled. It's likely there was no connection to coronavirus at all. It's not a beer I would ever drink, for example (I'm not much of a beer drinker, but when I do I don't like to be able to see through it (porter or stout)).

Anyway, the press is showing their quality here by reporting it—not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Yes, they could just as well ask do you drink beer. 38% no sound plausible lots who don't drink alcohol and lots who don't like the taste. 
Click bait journalism on its finest. 

10 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

And only the blessed land of India stays away from the hype train.

Just thinking about their local conditions, just ideal for, but afaik still untouched, one can think that the virus (or rumors) doesn't appear where nobody wants it (or rumors).

Well, the dramatic epidemic in Iran did probably, ahem, excite the more conspiratorial-minded.