[1.12.x] Civilian Population Modernized

linuxgurugamer

3 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@linuxgurugamer I tried your update and I was going along well at first but I eventually had the issue again of the birth countdown going negative and losing the abilities to recover craft, quicksave/quickload, switch scenes.

[EXC 17:56:58.488] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	KerbalRoster.ValidateAssignments (Game st) (at <c1858a3f77504bd1aaa946fdccf84670>:0)
	Game.Updated (GameScenes startSceneOverride) (at <c1858a3f77504bd1aaa946fdccf84670>:0)
	Game.Updated () (at <c1858a3f77504bd1aaa946fdccf84670>:0)
	PauseMenu.<draw>b__25_7 () (at <c1858a3f77504bd1aaa946fdccf84670>:0)
	DialogGUIButton.OptionSelected () (at <c1858a3f77504bd1aaa946fdccf84670>:0)
	DialogGUIButton.<Create>b__23_1 () (at <c1858a3f77504bd1aaa946fdccf84670>:0)
	UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke () (at <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0)
	UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke () (at <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0)
	UnityEngine.UI.Button.Press () (at <99c70f3212f546f499a5c598b1663bb9>:0)
	UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) (at <99c70f3212f546f499a5c598b1663bb9>:0)
	UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (UnityEngine.EventSystems.IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) (at <99c70f3212f546f499a5c598b1663bb9>:0)
	UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[T] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents+EventFunction`1[T1] functor) (at <99c70f3212f546f499a5c598b1663bb9>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

I've made a zip with save file (as asked), the KSP.log at the time, and the MM patch that adds this mod's features to Pathfinder. OneDrive link. Used in KSP 1.10.1.

The only mods you'll need to install are Pathfinder (and its dependencies: Wild Blue Tools, Classic Stock).

The sample vessel with working/fixed Time UI open.

eFzZPLx.jpg

Ok. I'll  look at it tomorrow night.  So far you are the only one reporting this error

On 11/2/2020 at 5:44 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

@linuxgurugamer I tried your update and I was going along well at first but I eventually had the issue again of the birth countdown going negative and losing the abilities to recover craft, quicksave/quickload, switch scenes.

On 11/2/2020 at 5:44 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

I've made a zip with save file (as asked), the KSP.log at the time, and the MM patch that adds this mod's features to Pathfinder. OneDrive link. Used in KSP 1.10.1.

The only mods you'll need to install are Pathfinder (and its dependencies: Wild Blue Tools, Classic Stock).

The sample vessel with working/fixed Time UI open.

@JadeOfMaarThere is nothing wrong with your patch, you just ran into two bugs headon.

This beta fixes them, also added a bit of functionality to the crew screen:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmniutcg30rwub9/CivilianPopulation-3.0.1-BETA-2.zip?dl=0

I'm quite puzzled why no one reported these before.  The big one, which caused you to lose functionality in leaving the scene, etc. has been there for a long time.  The other was just mostly a visual (time to birth going negative), it was only checking once a day for births.  

Edited by linuxgurugamer

New release, 3.0.1

• Thanks to user @pmborg for this:
    • Added ModuleAsteroidDrill and ModuleCometDrill into the Netherdyne Laser Drill
  • Fixed nullref when clicking the time button
  • Fixed nullref when playing in Sandbox during FixedUpdate while trying to update funds
  • Disabled the CivilialPopulationMonitor when not compiled with DEBUG
  • Fixed growth issue to have kerbals born when time is up rather than all new kerbals 1/day
  • Fixed Nullref when saving games AFTER a kerbal was born
  • Fixed bug where a kerbal would have a lesser chance to die the older they got (after 75)
  • Added settings option to specify the minimum age a kerbal can die
  • Updated Crew panel
    • Added buttons at top of each column, clicking on a button will sort by that column, clicking again will reverse the sort
    • Optimized the CrewPanel to only re-sort if something changed

Just wanted to say thanks so much for maintaining/updating/fixing this @linuxgurugamer!

Out of interest, do you have any information on how 'Kolonists' (MKS?) work in relation to this mod? And might there be a way to make them basically interchangeable with 'Civilians' in terms of mechinics? (Either that, or give them very clearly defined and distinct roles)

22 minutes ago, DirtyFace83 said:

Just wanted to say thanks so much for maintaining/updating/fixing this @linuxgurugamer!

Out of interest, do you have any information on how 'Kolonists' (MKS?) work in relation to this mod? And might there be a way to make them basically interchangeable with 'Civilians' in terms of mechinics? (Either that, or give them very clearly defined and distinct roles)

Nope, no idea, and it's not anything I'm going to be looking into.  Off hand, I think that any mod which creates new roles will be incompatible with other mods which also create new roles, since there isn't any defined way to do it, so each mod does it it's own way.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello.  I currently have the Orbital Colony (linuxgurugamer updated version) installed and want to start using the real Civ Pop.  Is there any good way to switch from one to the other without wrecking any of my ships/missions? 

Also, just want to say that you're a lifesaver for keeping all of these old mods supported.  It's got to be a ton of work and just want to say that I greatly appreciate it.  Cheers!

Edited by Cornholio

• 2 weeks later...

Bug: Civilian Population sometimes kills kerbals on boarding vessels from EVA.

I have been playing a career game in 1.10.1 (quite heavily modded, and running on Linux) and had my kerbals simply disappear when boarding a vessel from EVA. The kerbals show up as "Killed in Action"  in the astronaut complex.

I could reproduce the issue with Civilian Population alone (version 3.0.1, installed through CKAN), but not every time when boarding from EVA (as with my heavily modded game). For my demonstration session (logfile), I had to go on EVA and board again 16 times until the bug hit.

Steps to reproduce:

• install Civilian Population in a clean stock 1.10.1 install
  • start a new sandbox game
  • launch a stock "Aeris 3A" on the runway
  • repeat the following steps until the poor kerbal disappears:
    • go on EVA (just leaving the plane and hanging on the ladder will do)
    • board again

My (somewhat educated) guess as to the cause for this bug is a race condition somewhere in Civilian Population, because the bug only happens on some attempts, the frequency of triggering the bug varies with the number and type of installed modules (and thus with timing) from "happens every time" on my heavily modded game to "one in 16" in my reproduction session with only Civilian Population installed, and because of the "InvalidOperationException: Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute." entry in the logs.

On 12/14/2020 at 3:07 AM, RKunze said:

Bug: Civilian Population sometimes kills kerbals on boarding vessels from EVA.

I have been playing a career game in 1.10.1 (quite heavily modded, and running on Linux) and had my kerbals simply disappear when boarding a vessel from EVA. The kerbals show up as "Killed in Action"  in the astronaut complex.

I could reproduce the issue with Civilian Population alone (version 3.0.1, installed through CKAN), but not every time when boarding from EVA (as with my heavily modded game). For my demonstration session (logfile), I had to go on EVA and board again 16 times until the bug hit.

Steps to reproduce:

• install Civilian Population in a clean stock 1.10.1 install
  • start a new sandbox game
  • launch a stock "Aeris 3A" on the runway
  • repeat the following steps until the poor kerbal disappears:
    • go on EVA (just leaving the plane and hanging on the ladder will do)
    • board again

My (somewhat educated) guess as to the cause for this bug is a race condition somewhere in Civilian Population, because the bug only happens on some attempts, the frequency of triggering the bug varies with the number and type of installed modules (and thus with timing) from "happens every time" on my heavily modded game to "one in 16" in my reproduction session with only Civilian Population installed, and because of the "InvalidOperationException: Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute." entry in the logs.

I've had the same issue - Originally I thought it was TAC LS doing it, but then I suspected it was civilian population - I deleted it and the bug was fixed
For me it was also completely random, happening sometimes, but in other times, happening 100% of the time

• 4 weeks later...

I have this installed, but I don't seem to be able to do anything with it.  Civilian Kerbals do show up to be hired, but if I send them to a base with a University/flight school/Theater they don't seem to interact with them at all. 

Also I don't see any parts with food or water, and the farm doesn't seem to have any onboard storage for them either.

After reloading, I am also missing the toolbar icon... 

Could this be an install problem?

Edited by Stumble

• 4 months later...
11 hours ago, dany0688 said:

Hello.It seems that my civilians arent breeding. Is it supposed to be like this? Thanks for the mod by the way.

Yes, you can turn breeding on/off... in some special buildings like in the apartments.

Edited by pmborg

Even if I don't use TAC, i simply use snack for simplicity on my game...this is very useful to recruit kerbal outside kerbin...! and i don't have always go back to kerbin to recruit them anymore due to reproduction...

Also how can i recruit Kerbal using Contractor Dock? as long as I am still in Kerbin's Oribit and its Moons!

I am using 1.11.2 

Edited by kennyc222

6 hours ago, kennyc222 said:

Even if I don't use TAC, i simply use snack for simplicity on my game...this is very useful to recruit kerbal outside kerbin...! and i don't have always go back to kerbin to recruit them anymore due to reproduction...

Also how can i recruit Kerbal using Contractor Dock? as long as I am still in Kerbin's Oribit and its Moons!

I am using 1.11.2 

You need to wait 3 months game time

30 minutes ago, pmborg said:

You need to wait 3 months game time

thanks ..nevermind..it works now..but i got only 1 civilian after waiting 3 months game time...

For planetary one...how can I manage to build a town or city using Biodome? it is hard for me to build one....

Is Jumbo Truss the key to link all the dome together? 

Edited by kennyc222

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@linuxgurugamer Couple of questions I can't seem to spot answers for:

-All info on the Civilian dock only references Kerbin and its moons,. Is its functionality prevented on games with homeswitches somehow? If not, is there a max distance limit or just anything orbiting parent body?

-Is the ModuleScienceLab somehow required for the university? I ask because it doesn't have the accompanying  ModuleScienceConverter, making it seem rather useless to stock mechanics.

-Lastly,  is the .log file supposed to be logging something? I've had the mod installed for roughly 50+ civilians to generate and be recruited, but she's still blank aside from the first "set-up" line

• 1 month later...

I just started playing again after a year, hoping that all mods are finally gonna be  stable since  1.12.2 is final release. 

I found that this mod was finally actually updated and working (Woot!) but, unfortunately,  there is something seriously wrong with it.  I lose so many kerbals for no reason at all... they just disappear. I read through the comments here and saw that this issue was reported before and supposed to have been fixed... but, tonight, i just lost 4 out of 7 kerbals. i lost the first 3 just going EVA from one ship to another... everything seemed fine, then when i brought the last one over, the ship was empty...
The last one i lost after arriving at the mun. she eva'd to get the science and upon entering the pod she ceased to exist (her science was still available though). and i was left only 2 poor kerbals that survived out of the seven that applied to the mission. Often times, kerbals just randomly disappear , i.e., you have 10  kerbals someplace, you go away and you come back and there are only 9...  anyhow, after a week of hoping this will get better just started a new save without this mod and will see how it goes.

Not related to the above bug, but you need to give a control for kerbal death (besides maximum average life)... like damn... i move 10 civilians to a new place and 2 of them die within like a week at 17 years old... if someone passes astronaut school they should  be smart enough to not just randomly die a couple days after arriving at their destination...