Intermittent crashes. ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.'

KSP: 1.8.1 Windows 64bit

Problem: Intermittent crashes

Mods installed:

000_ClickThroughBlocker
000_Toolbar
001_ToolbarControl
AntennaHelper
AtmosphereAutopilot
B9PartSwitch
BasicProceduralTextures
Chatterer
CommunityResourcePack
CustomPreLaunchChecks
DecouplerShroud
DistantObject
DKSalvage
DMagicScienceAnimate
EasyVesselSwitch
EngineLightRelit
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
EveEngines
Firespitter
GravityTurn
JNSQ
JX2Antenna
KAS
KerbalEngineer
KerbalHacks
KerbalKonstructs
KerboKatz
KIS
Kopernicus
KS3P
KSP-AVC
MechJeb2
MiningExpansion
Mk2Expansion
Mk3Expansion
ModularFlightIntegrator
MunarIndustries
NavyFish
Nereid
OSSNTR
PlanetShine
PreciseManeuver
ProceduralParts
RaginCaucasian
RationalResources
RCSBuildAid
RealChute
ReStock
ReStockPlus
S.A.V.E.dat
SCANsat
scatterer
Science-Full-Reward
Squad
SquadExpansion
StageRecovery
SunflaresOfMaar
SurfaceLights
TextureReplacer
TrackingStationEvolved
TriggerTech
WaypointManager
ZeroMiniAVC
[x] Science!

JNSQ_SUN_boost.cfg
ModuleManager.4.1.3.dll
ModuleManager.ConfigCache
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
ModuleManager.Physics
ModuleManager.TechTree
ModuleManagerLicense.md
toolbar-settings.dat
Reproduction steps:

Hard to reproduce.  Happens mostly on scene changes, latest incident was while zooming out from Jool in map view. 

Log:

Player.log

error.log

Happy to provide any other logs, crash dumps, etc.  Just let me know.

Edited by nanobug
Fixed player.log link

Well, the technical details (for reference) is that you got an Access Violation after some entering and exiting Scenes (you switched Flight and Trackstation a lot of times, what hints me you were in the middle of some long range mission! Sorry for that....)

UnityPlayer.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
  in module UnityPlayer.dll at 0033:1f6921fd.

The novelty is that the crash happened on a completely new way (that I had knowledge of):

Stack Trace of Crashed Thread 6544:
0x00007FFB1F6921FD (UnityPlayer) UnityMain
0x00007FFB1F68FED5 (UnityPlayer) UnityMain
0x00007FFB1F8B1279 (UnityPlayer) PAL_Thread_YieldExecution
0x00000212D7CE294A (UnityEngine.CoreModule) UnityEngine.Mesh.Internal_Create()
0x00000212D7CE28BB (UnityEngine.CoreModule) UnityEngine.Mesh..ctor()
0x00000212D7CE2323 (Assembly-CSharp) TMPro.TextMeshProUGUI.Awake()              <--- Here!
0x00000212BEA0DB70 (mscorlib) System.Object.runtime_invoke_void__this__()
0x00007FFB1E94BC80 (mono-2.0-bdwgc) mono_get_runtime_build_info
0x00007FFB1E8D1D92 (mono-2.0-bdwgc) mono_perfcounters_init
0x00007FFB1E8DAD8F (mono-2.0-bdwgc) mono_runtime_invoke
0x00007FFB1F81B19D (UnityPlayer) PAL_Thread_YieldExecution
<.....>

TextMeshPro is a tool KSP uses for rendering text on the screen, and it's widely used by Unity projects (and not only KSP). While this doesn't rules out a bug, it makes it somewhat improbable. And stressing again, you entered and exited TrackStation a lot of times, this didn't happened the first scene changing - it's not a trivial or obvious bug.

Access Violations can also happens when you have bad memory, or something is corrupting the swapfile on the disk. So, before applying for a bug report on Squad's bug tracker (only them can really understand properly all this stackdump, as only them have access to the full source code!), do as follows:

• Check your Hard Disk/SDD health
    • There's a thing called SMART, that tells you how the storage device is behaving.
    • Look for ECC/checksum errors
    • Check the remaining lifespan (specially important for SDDs).
    • If you find any errors, replace the storage as fast as your wallet allows, your storage is near end of life.
    • After being assured the storage is healthy, run a chkdsk 
  • Check your main memory
  • Check your video card (just in case, these things has memory too)
    • Try OCCT. (I don't know how to use it, I use a Mac)

My Mac once crashed on an Access Violation too, I'm using a cheap SDD as boot device and I stupidly used it for the swapfile. After changing the swapfile to the HDD, the machine (obviously) became a little slower, but I had no more crashes by Access Violations since them. It's a long shot, but it may help you on diagnosing your issue - use an HDD for the swapfile if you can and see what happens.

If everything above checks OK, you will need help from Squad. Had this ever happened on a unmodded KSP instalment?

18 minutes ago, Lisias said:

<snip>

My Mac once crashed on an Access Violation too, I'm using a cheap SDD as boot device and I stupidly used it for the swapfile. After changing the swapfile to the HDD, the machine (obviously) became a little slower, but I had no more crashes by Access Violations since them. It's a long shot, but it may help you on diagnosing your issue - use an HDD for the swapfile if you can and see what happens.

If everything above checks OK, you will need help from Squad. Had this ever happened on a unmodded KSP instalment?

Never had this problem with unmodded, or previous versions of KSP for that matter.  It's only been an issue in KSP 1.8.1 (never tried 1.8.0), which leads me to believe it's not hardware. 

SMART check comes back fine, and I know the video card is good because it's less than 3 months old and I put it through a rigorous round of testing when determining how far it could overclock.  It's not overclocked since I only do that when the video card is starting to get a bit long in the tooth, but I already know the memory on it is fine and that the thermals are well within limits.

I'll still check the RAM, though I would be fairly surprised to find out that my non-overclocked DDR3-1600 RAM suddenly developed an issue that only affects a specific version of Kerbal Space Program.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by nanobug

6 minutes ago, nanobug said:

Never had this problem with unmodded, or previous versions of KSP for that matter.  It's only been an issue in KSP 1.8.1 (never tried 1.8.0), which leads me to believe it's not hardware. 

I don't think you will find a bugged Add'On, it's more likely you will find a poor victim walking on the mine field and getting the blame :P but this is what I do to find the source or the trigger of the problem:

* Delete half of the Add'Ons (make sure to do not delete any dependencies from the other half)

* Try to reproduce the problem

* Put back that half, delete the other half

* Try to reproduce the problem.

On the half that triggered the problem, split it in half, goto step 1.

Do it until you find the thingy that triggers the problem. (We call this a Binary Tree Search).

Then post it here, with some luck someone else can recognise the pattern and hint us with some more info.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.