On joysticks

So I dug up my old flight stick. Works very nicely, and makes flying aircraft so much easier (like, feasible). I can land aircraft now! It's a shame that KSP only recognises the X and Y axes, so I don't get the rudder or throttle, but I can live with that. (I gather this is a Unity bug.)

Unfortunately when the stick is set to pitch and roll, which is what you want for aircraft flying, it's now pretty much useless for orbital manoeuvring. For that, I want pitch and yaw. I also want bigger dead zones, because as there's no self-righting impulse in space, if the stick is offset slightly my spacecraft start to spin. But in flight, I need them to be as small as possible. And while it's technically possible to fly a plane with rudder and elevators I don't actually know how.

And then there's rendezvous, EVA and münwalking, all of which require different joystick maps.

I know it's possible to change the joystick mapping by quicksaving, quitting, reloading the game, fiddling with the settings, and then quickloading again; but that's an incredible PITA. Is there any way to change the joystick map on-the-fly? Ideally I like to have several set up and switch between them --- hey, I have buttons on the flight stick to do that! --- but I'll live with what I can get.

So I dug up my old flight stick. Works very nicely, and makes flying aircraft so much easier (like, feasible). I can land aircraft now! It's a shame that KSP only recognises the X and Y axes, so I don't get the rudder or throttle, but I can live with that. (I gather this is a Unity bug.).

This may be a joystick problem. Is it old tech? Im using a cheap thrustmaster hotas, and it automatically recognized and set pitch, yaw, roll, and throttle appropriately, and all four are operating flawlessly. Its amazing how much more effective it makes flying space planes.