Realism mods

Bob Schaefer

Hi ,again,

After d/l'ing  the RO and RP1 mods ( vrs. 1.7.3) thru CKAN, with the required and depended addons, I started the game and found myself sitting thru an update of over 33000 patches. Is this normal?

The patch update Seemed to be successful -it said it was- and then it just sat there. After a few minutes, my comp said KSP was not responding and should I shut it down.

Anyone else run into this?

@Bob Schaefer Yep, that number of patches is normal.  I apparently have a few more mods (I added a number of engine and parts packs); mine runs around 85,000 patches.  Fortunately, Module Manager will cache the patches on a successful start, so that the next time you start, all of those patches load from cache in a much shorter time (it's still a pretty slow startup compared to 1.8.1 even with both Making History and Breaking Ground, but faster than actually performing the patches).  NB: if you make any changes to your mod set (add or remove a mod, for instance) MM will detect the change and rerun the entire patch process.  For that reason, if you're going to make changes, it probably pays you do do them all at once (the only good reason to make a small change and start the game, then rinse and repeat, is if you're chasing a bug via elimination and putting the potentially problem mods back one at a time until the bug reappears).

Did you follow the installation order on the Realism Overhaul Wiki pages?  There are some mods for RO that you can't install via CKAN; normally you'd do those after the CKAN ones are all installed.  Short version: install the bare game (with DLC if you want to use it), start it once to generate log stubs and such (some of which are needed by CKAN or various mods).  Then install the mods that CKAN can manage, and start the game (this *should* go well, though you may have to change CKAN settings to allow installing "obsolete" versions of a few mods -- at least I did, when I installed RO on 1.6.1).  Once that's done, install the stuff CKAN can't, like Principia.

Each time you start after installing one or more new mods, you'll sit through the entire patch process -- I'd recommend that as a good time to take a break.  Grab a cup of coffee or a soda.  Take the dog for a walk.  Write a novel.  If you follow the order of installation and recommended additional mods as given in the wiki, it ought to work fine.  When it locks up as yours has done, if it does it a second time, probably best to delete the whole install folder and start over.

FWIW, I occasionally wish for a middle ground -- I may, at some point, try an RSS/RP-1 install without KCT and Test Flight, so engines don't fail and rockets don't take months or years to build, just to be able to advance the tech tree far enough to see what's possible.  Yeah, I know, I could just build all that stuff in RO sandbox, but that wouldn't let me look at what depends on what along the way.

Still, the only player time costs with the full install are a few seconds to a minute or so watching time warp while waiting for a build to complete, and having to deal with engine failures (and the consequent risk of bankrupting your program).  And the latter is where I keep landing.  I'm not the greatest game money manager alive...

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.