Does anyone know (or predict) when ksp 2 is coming out?

Catto

1 hour ago, Curveball Anders said:

Spring 2020 isn't off the books at all.

April 1 2020 to May 31 2020 still matches "Spring 2020".

My bad - should have been more clear.  Spring 2020 is *possible*, being in the newly disclosed window, but the release is no longer slated for spring 2020.  It could very well launch before June 21 this year (though I personally am skeptical that will happen).

Edited by Chilkoot

20 hours ago, DStaal said:

I'll be willing to bet that even if the game doesn't come out at PAX East, they'll say something - if only to say it's a delay until X.

I'd take it as a bad sign if they have no additional clarity on the release date.  

(and by "bad sign" I just mean we will have a considerably longer wait than hoped for)

Don´t know, don´t predict... it comes when it is ready. They have a mountain of expectations to hit and a rock solid physics system to deliver... they should take all the time needed to avoid the short fused being 1-star-triggered.

50 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

Welp.  Based on the recent release of Episode 1 of a series of dev videos to be released...

I'm not seeing Spring 2020 as even remotely viable; more like Spring 2021.

Could you elaborate on why?

Just now, DStaal said:

If the series is only 3-4 episodes long, with one or so a month, it'd still end in Spring 2020.

It's my guess, it aint happening by June.  Seems like they just regrouped the team.  But, just my guess... see what they say at Pax East.  One a month seems a reasonable expectation for dev updates.  Could be a series of 3 or 4?   It's still remotely possible I guess.  Right now, I'd put odds against it.

1 minute ago, XLjedi said:

It's my guess, it aint happening by June.  Seems like they just regrouped the team.  But, just my guess... see what they say at Pax East.  One a month seems a reasonable expectation for dev updates.  Could be a series of 3 or 4?   It's still remotely possible I guess.  Right now, I'd put odds against it.

I'd lay odds against it by June as well - but I wouldn't consider it not remotely viable, and this year is still very viable.

Just now, DStaal said:

I'd lay odds against it by June as well - but I wouldn't consider it not remotely viable, and this year is still very viable.

Would serve them well to get it out close to or before the holidays this year at least.

On 2/11/2020 at 5:07 PM, siklidkid said:

ITS COMING OUT. IT WILL COME OUT WHEN IT COMES OUT.

The best answer.

A fixed date, and Private Division desperately sticking to it, means we’re getting a rushed and unfinished product that nobody will be happy with.

Water is wet, the sun rises every day and software never gets delivered on time. Accept the facts of life and learn to live with them without getting angry over it.

Well, several days ago we saw some prealpha game footage. But for spring release it should be beta-testing right now.

And KSP 1.0 was overbugged. I hope KSP 2.0 will not be releazed in 2021 with over 9000 bugs and without colony parts.

I don't think the game will be released at PAX East, that seems waaaaaaay too early, especially because they are still in pre-alpha in their first episode on ksp's youtube channel, but we should get some sweet updates as they confirmed they will be attending PAX East.

-whoops, just responded to a post from a few pages ago, sorry guys

Edited by Vinhero100

6 hours ago, razark said:

Ksp 2.0 != KSP2 1.0

I keep wondering if we're ever going to see KSP 2.x version numbers, or if PD will put the brakes on that numbering scheme to avoid confusion.  With the new studio and direction, the producers may finally pull the plug on further KSP development.  All previous announcements seem to be off the table now with recent developments.

The whole idea of simultaneous development of two separate products under the same name - from the same company - is pretty messed up, really.  Golden rule #2 of any business is never to be in competition with yourself.  As long as OG KSP is has new content being released it will poach sales from KSP 2, and vice-versa.  No producer can sell that scenario to their board for very long.  Either KSP development wraps soon, or KSP 2 is pushed back significantly. 

Edited by Chilkoot

8 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

What? Yes it does. It goes:

Game. Version. Patch

No, it does not.  They are very separate games.  You have Game Major.Minor.Patch.

Game is KSP xor KSP2.  Version of KSP is currently at 1.9.0.  Version of KSP2 is currently in the range of 0.x.y.

If it was as you describe, a pre-release version of KSP2 could be KSP 1.9, which, I hope, you do not believe is what Squad released recently.

10 minutes ago, Chilkoot said:

I keep wondering if we're ever going to see KSP 2.x version numbers...

I highly doubt it, because I don't think that KSP will see a major enough change to increment that.  It'll stay down in the 1.x range, probably.

Edited by razark

1 minute ago, razark said:

No, it does not.  They are very separate games.  You have Game Major.Minor.Patch.

Game is KSP xor KSP2.  Version of KSP is currently at 1.9.0.  Version of KSP2 is currently in the range of 0.x.y.

If it was as you describe, a pre-release version of KSP2 could be KSP 1.9, which, I hope, you do not believe is what Squad released recently.

Fair point

Few points here:

They said, paraphrasing, "more episodes in the upcoming months." In the studio update, there are three or four shots that I haven't seen in the first episode, so there's that. I don't think this series would be longer than maybe five episodes. Like what can they include in each of these? Base/colony building, resource extraction mechanics, multiplayer solutions if they get it done..

Besides, there's still plenty of time in 2020, and I don't expect the game to come out earlier than in second half of the year. The whole "spring" thing, wherever it came from isn't very convincing.

Another point, you all keep talking about the "pre alpha footage" they showed us recently. But do we know if that is actually current state of the game? I mean they did feature one or two shots from the earlier videos. I don't believe they are only now working on plumes and explosions, since we've seen pretty crazy ships already. And they seemed to have Orion style propulsion ready and working half a year ago.

We can only hope that we will see shape of the game as it is today at pax.

16 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Few points here:

They said, paraphrasing, "more episodes in the upcoming months." In the studio update, there are three or four shots that I haven't seen in the first episode, so there's that. I don't think this series would be longer than maybe five episodes. Like what can they include in each of these? Base/colony building, resource extraction mechanics, multiplayer solutions if they get it done..

Besides, there's still plenty of time in 2020, and I don't expect the game to come out earlier than in second half of the year. The whole "spring" thing, wherever it came from isn't very convincing.

Another point, you all keep talking about the "pre alpha footage" they showed us recently. But do we know if that is actually current state of the game? I mean they did feature one or two shots from the earlier videos. I don't believe they are only now working on plumes and explosions, since we've seen pretty crazy ships already. And they seemed to have Orion style propulsion ready and working half a year ago.

We can only hope that we will see shape of the game as it is today at pax.

Most games don't actually come together until the very last few months of development, so we really won't see how the game as it is today unless they also announce a release date a month or two in the future at PAX also.

This isn't me being a cynic for once; just how software development in general tends to be (Always exceptions ofc).

3 minutes ago, siklidkid said:

What about KSP version 999999999999999999999999999999999999.0

ksp 1.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999990199218763661783578763345883272645768279.32

14 hours ago, razark said:

I highly doubt it, because I don't think that KSP will see a major enough change to increment that.  It'll stay down in the 1.x range, probably.

Even if there was going to be a feature change large enough to warrant a major version increase, it's very likely the publisher (who is the ultimate decision maker on these things) would not permit them to use the 2.x designation to avoid consumer confusion.  It would be a marketing and messaging nightmare.

If they were going to move into 2.x range with OG KSP, they likely would have done it with what was named 1.8 including the engine + graphics overhaul.  Publisher probably told them "nope, you're 1.x forever, boys, deal with it".