Pugz

Abilty to Remove Parts From Staging

I think it would be useful if we could remove parts from the staging list so you don't do things like activate your abort decoupler and parachutes by accedentally pressing space.

For decouplers, staging can be disabled in the editor.

Many parts can have their staging disabled in the VAB and SPH, however I think you need to have advanced tweakables enabled in your game settings for the option to appear.

Not all parts that are staged can have their staging removed, for instance, engines. SSBoosters used as structural pieces will fill up your staging stack and can’t be removed. 

Add that it should be all parts. Not just decouplers but also things like engines.

If we’re requesting changes in this area, I’d like the ability to activate RCS by staging. For instance leave the RCS on your lander deactivated along with its engine while stowed in a cargo bay, or being handled by a transfer stage..

Yeah, it would be handy to disable staging on solid boosters, that would properly enable more dynamic igniting.  Right now for example, I've got a rocket that has Delta style staggered boosters, using KM Smart Parts to trigger them at certain altitudes, but because I can't remove the boosters from the staging, Mechjeb gets confused if I don't have them in exactly the right order on the list.

For the time being, you can lock staging by pressing Alt+L. This will prevent the spacebar from doing anything so you don't accidentally advance the staging stack at all. It's not an exact solution, but it can prevent headaches all the same.

On 3/19/2020 at 6:54 PM, 0111narwhalz said:

For the time being, you can lock staging by pressing Alt+L. This will prevent the spacebar from doing anything so you don't accidentally advance the staging stack at all. It's not an exact solution, but it can prevent headaches all the same.

Just be aware that stage locking isn't persistent, i.e. when you switch away from the craft and later return to it, it won't be locked anymore. I wish Squad would finally add that to the persistence mechanism, but I had already stopped holding my breath for this even long before the original devs left, so yeah...

To make a Soyuz replica it would be useful.

So you can remove the fairing staging ( also if you have Making History)

One more scenario where this is useful: emergency parachutes for aircraft which you only intend to use via abort group.

On 4/6/2020 at 4:03 AM, Goaty1208 said:

To make a Soyuz replica it would be useful.

So you can remove the fairing staging ( also if you have Making History)

Doesn't the fairing stage once in orbit?