[1.12.x] Better Load Save Game Renewed

linuxgurugamer

Originally written by @jefftimlin, original thread here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/162619-14-17-betterloadsavegame-24/

An addon for Kerbal Space Program designed to improve the user interface for loading save games.

I was always frustrated with the in-game GUI for loading saved games, as it lists them in alphabetical order making it really hard to find the save you want when there's lots in the list. It also gets really slow to open once you have a lot of saves.

This mod attempts to fix that by:

• Listing the saves by creation time (descending)
  • Including thumbnail screenshots

Looks like this:

screenshot

Dependencies

Availability

Installation

Available for install via CKAN.

Alternatively, download the latest release and extract the contents of the GameData folder into the GameData folder inside your KSP install.

Usage

Note for best screenshot quality, ensure "Texture Quality" is set to "Full Res" in your game options (under "Graphics").

Settings are available in the stock Settings pages.  The following options are available:

In the General column:

• Replace stock Load Game dialog on F9    This replaces the Load Game dialog, if disabled, then F7 opens the window
  • Don't show the persistent.sfs file  
  • Use alternate skin                                          A more compact skin which a number of mods use

In the Deletion/Archive column:

• Archive old saves               Archive and Delete are exclusive, only one can be active.
  • Delete old saves                 Both can be disabled to disable this functionality
  • Unit: Hours                          Hours and Days are mutually exclusive
  • Unit: Days
  • File age in specified units     The number of Hours/Days a save has to be to be either archived or deleted

The BLSG window has a number of toggles and buttons:
At the top are:

• Use Archives    A toggle which has the mod show all the archived saves
  • Sort                    One of three different ways to sort the saves in the list

At the bottom are the following buttons:

• Delete       Delete selected save
  • Archive     Move the selected save into the Archive directory
  • Cancel      Close the dialog
  • Load         Load the selected save

Recommended mods

Highly recommend also using a mod like Dated Quick Saves or Kerbal Improved Save System to address my other favourite problem in the game of only having one quicksave slot when you press F5.

Current state

Currently has basic features including screenshots, summary info, sorting and filtering.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 2/12/2020 at 12:09 PM, leatherneck6017 said:

@linuxgurugamer After selecting a save to load, the window closes but the save doesn't load. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdbcrhfz3f5zti6/Player.log?dl=0

1 minute ago, Antipodes said:

I experience is similar. I select the load, the window closes and nothing happens - the game remains paused until I hit escape.

Tagging @linuxgurugamer again. He fixes mods on his Monday night stream, maybe he'll pick this up for tonight. It'd be great to have this functioning, so many saves to scroll through when loading.

Edited by leatherneck6017

On 2/12/2020 at 3:09 PM, leatherneck6017 said:

@linuxgurugamer After selecting a save to load, the window closes but the save doesn't load. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdbcrhfz3f5zti6/Player.log?dl=0

I will be looking at this during my stream this evening, but I can tell you right now, you have lots of MiniAVC.dll files.  Please install ZeroMiniAVC and see if that helps

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I will be looking at this during my stream this evening, but I can tell you right now, you have lots of MiniAVC.dll files.  Please install ZeroMiniAVC and see if that helps

Those existed when I first made the bug report. They were pruned with your recent metadata update.

14 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 2.5.1

• Fixed same window id being used on dialog and delete
  • Fixed deletion process 
  • Added refresh of saves after deletion
  • Changed delete to not close main dialog, but to disable while delete dialog is up
  • Fixed delete dialog to use selected skin

I just downloaded from spacedock, but the zip file contains Kerbin Space Station contract pack!

I think you must have zipped the wrong directory....

A problem has arisen on MacOS with this mod, it fails badly.  It's being worked on, but for now, I suggest you not use it. 

The issue is a huge impact on frame rate and finding too many save files.  I have been able to replicate both, am optimistic that I will find the problem in the next few days.

New release, 2.5.1.1

• Fixed 2nd F9, meant to close window, doing a reload of the quicksave
  • Added code to not do screenshot save if less than 15 seconds since the previous one.  This needed because the OnSave on OSX was generating large number of OnSave events for a single save

The problem on OSX manifested itself with a massive framerate drop, but worked perfectly on Windows.  I don't know if this was also an issue on Linux, but I suspect it might have been.

New release, 2.5.1.3

• Added option to hide persistent.sfs file
  • Added option to archive a save
  • Added options to auto-archive or auto-delete old saves
  • Added option to load from archives
  • Wrote new instructions

Usage

Settings are available in the stock Settings pages.  The following options are available:

In the General column:

• Replace stock Load Game dialog on F9    This replaces the Load Game dialog, if disabled, then F7 opens the window
  • Don't show the persistent.sfs file  
  • Use alternate skin                                          A more compact skin which a number of mods use

In the Deletion/Archive column:

• Archive old saves               Archive and Delete are exclusive, only one can be active.
  • Delete old saves                 Both can be disabled to disable this functionality
  • Unit: Hours                          Hours and Days are mutually exclusive
  • Unit: Days
  • File age in specified units     The number of Hours/Days a save has to be to be either archived or deleted

The BLSG window has a number of toggles and buttons:
At the top are:

• Use Archives    A toggle which has the mod show all the archived saves
  • Sort                    One of three different ways to sort the saves in the list

At the bottom are the following buttons:

• Delete       Delete selected save
  • Archive     Move the selected save into the Archive directory
  • Cancel      Close the dialog
  • Load         Load the selected save

• 2 weeks later...

@linuxgurugamer

Found an interesting bug, sometimes if you load the game using this mod it will mess up your level of bulding ( VAB, SPH, astronaut complex.....) such that it makes you unable to eva even though it's a sandbox save, SPH/VABs are acting as if they were lvl 1 

also pressing cancle seems to reload the game

Edited by Astatine85

15 minutes ago, Astatine85 said:

@linuxgurugamer

Found an interesting bug, sometimes if you load the game using this mod it will mess up your level of bulding ( VAB, SPH, astronaut complex.....) such that it makes you unable to eva even though it's a sandbox save, SPH/VABs are acting as if they were lvl 1 

You should post logs, and tag @linuxgurugamer i don't think this mod is doing what you have described (personally never encountered such a strange error with this mod) but everything is possible,so upload you'r logs to dropbox or some similar site so linux can see what;s going on

14 minutes ago, dtoxic said:

You should post logs, and tag @linuxgurugamer i don't think this mod is doing what you have described (personally never encountered such a strange error with this mod) but everything is possible,so upload you'r logs to dropbox or some similar site so linux can see what;s going on

Uploaded on google drive https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v3_f8_8WmWpEyMO_fyZGuh3O11oCk_AU/view?usp=sharing

If you go back to a non corrupted save and load back it seems to fix it

Edited by Astatine85

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.