What was the heaviest payload that you launched to orbit?

AHHans

Mass of your heaviest payload?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Mass of your heaviest payload?

• < 100 t
    • 100 t - 200 t
    • 200 t - 300 t
    • 300 t - 500 t
    • 500 t - 1000 t
    • > 1000 t

The title says it all: how heavy was the biggest payload that you launched into Kerbin orbit in a single launch? Including transfer stages to other planets or moons or the full weight of SSTOs in orbit, but not including more or less empty booster stages that get dropped before the payload goes on to whatever it is doing?

For me that was 304 t, one half of a massive space station. Together with the other half and fully fueled up it's 1328 t.

1 hour ago, AHHans said:

The title says it all: how heavy was the biggest payload that you launched into Kerbin orbit in a single launch?

Off the top of my head, a massive pre-assembled station of 2600-2700t. I can't seem to find the screenshots, has to be in an older KSP version I already archived.

Next to that, I flung a 2077t 'fuel star' into LKO. Just one of those tinker projects in the VAB that got out of hand, and then I liked the end result, and then Jeb wanted one in orbit, and then I spent the entire night trying to get a working lifter.

I only vaguely remember what all happened that night, but much later while cleaning up the screenshot folder I found a bunch of screenshots, and decided to document the whole thing.

Spoiler

y13pdCh.png

3hqpS0A.png

dNYqSYk.png

3EAKvGw.png

Link to full imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/KtV09

Does it count if I've launched 100 tons to Earth orbit?

There's also one bloody lunatic on the RO Discord who managed to launch a fully fueled Saturn V to LEO with a launcher I can only describe as "why".

I suspect you'll see a pretty bimodal distribution here: people who built giant launchers for the sake of building giant launchers, and people who build the launchers they need... and there's only so much payload one can reasonably need. There will be those who legitimately need giant launchers for insane payloads, but I imagine most of us don't try to launch gigantic space stations to low solar orbit.

Emphasis on "most". I'm looking at you Stratenblitz75.

And no, a fully fueled Saturn V is not a payload one might reasonably need in LEO.

I voted 200-300 tons before I read your description (includes mass of SSTOs). I used a really big spaceplane to loft a test load about that big into orbit once. 

In career games I extremely rarely go over 100 tons. I like my craft small.

8 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I have no idea the orbital mass, and don't know (but can find out) the launchpad mass,

Well, if you still have the craft file then just remove all the stages that get detached during ascent and, if needed, remove some of the fuel from the transfer stage that would be needed to circularize. This isn't about precision, but about getting an idea what people are up to.

45 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

I voted 200-300 tons before I read your description (includes mass of SSTOs).

Well, my space-plane SSTOs are not meant to transport craft into orbit, but are the spacecraft on their own. (In particular my person shuttle to rotate crew from and to the space stations in the Kerbin system.) So if your big SSTO  was only meant to put a payload into orbit and it cannot go further than LKO it's really up to you if you want to include that. Hmmm... well, if your SSTO was a mission like the Spacelab missions of the Space Shuttle (i.e. the mission was to only be in LEO or LKO), then the full orbit mass of the SSTO counts.

52 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

In career games I extremely rarely go over 100 tons.

Same here. But not really because I try to keep my craft small (I don't believe in making artificially big craft either), but because if a craft gets big, then I launch it without most of the fuel and refuel in orbit. (With ore mined on Minmus.)

9 hours ago, Starman4308 said:

Does it count if I've launched 100 tons to Earth orbit?

Well, it is hard to compare stuff launched into Earth orbit to stuff launched into Kerbin orbit. The kind of missions that you do in a RO/RSS game are necessarily different than what you do in a stock game.

So should a 100t LEO craft count as 100t or as more? Or less? 100t because your goal was to only have 100t in orbit. More, because you needed a much bigger launcher to get it into orbit. Or even less, because you just wanted to go to Mars and for getting the same science payload to Duna you only need a much smaller craft. :D

I don't know the mass. But I built "Jeb's Tylo Lander" which was single stage and powered by four Rhinos. It had additional drop tanks to get it out to Tylo in the first place. I then built a refueller capable of filling up the whole thing in one go, and I think that might still be my mass record.

In 0.90 I sent three kerbals down to Eve's surface and home again in a Mk 1-2 command pod.

The craft in orbit was close to 1300 tonnes.

The mass on the pad of the whole thing was almost 9000 tonnes.

The Eve lander was 737 tonnes.

img%5D

Happy landings!

On 2/13/2020 at 9:24 AM, Brikoleur said:

I voted 200-300 tons before I read your description (includes mass of SSTOs). I used a really big spaceplane to loft a test load about that big into orbit once. 

Heck, if dry mass of the launcher counts too... My standard cargo sstos for 3x kerbin already have dry masses of around 200 tons, and take like 150 tons of real payload

4 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

My largest was well over 1 kilo ton.

As in 1000 t in weight in explosive potential? ;)

Seriously, how did you get that to orbit?

As for me, I have always preferred smaller designs, so my maximum is probably less than 100 t.

I think my biggest was about 30 kilotons on the pad.  It was a mission to rescue a pilot stuck in a retro solar orbit; I needed to have something in excess of 50,000 dVin orbit to do the mission.  Was actually two launches  one was about 30kton, the second was about 25kton, docked, refueled and went on its way.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.