What was the heaviest payload that you launched to orbit?

AHHans

Mass of your heaviest payload?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Mass of your heaviest payload?

• < 100 t
    • 100 t - 200 t
    • 200 t - 300 t
    • 300 t - 500 t
    • 500 t - 1000 t
    • > 1000 t

Using 10-meter parts from Behemoth Aerospace along with SpaceY engines, I launched a partially-fueled mining ship and probe complement (which will visit Neidon from the Outer Planets Mod). The total payload launch mass is 283796 kg.

uA6eKFL.png

GeGvBq4.png

Edited by Pipcard

1 hour ago, Pipcard said:

The total payload launch mass is 283796 kg.

My question was about the payload in orbit, not the mass of the launcher on the pad.

On 2/18/2020 at 9:09 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

I think my biggest was about 30 kilotons on the pad. 

Again, was that the mass of the launcher of the pad, or of the payload in orbit? My question was about the latter.

On 2/18/2020 at 7:22 AM, KerikBalm said:

Heck, if dry mass of the launcher counts too...

In general: no!

But with spaceplane SSTOs there is really the question of what is the payload and what is the launcher. So for e.g. my passenger shuttle that I use to ferry personnel to and from the space-stations around the Mun and Minmus I say that the mass of the craft in LKO before the transfer burn is the "payload". (Because the Kerbals without the craft couldn't get where I want them.)

My record from AlphaCentaury Challenge:

• Ship-name: Alfa1_8StellarShuttle-v5-9fx
  • Duration: 26y 23d Kerbin Time
  • Duration: 7 years and about 6 days Earth Time (Earth time converted)
  • Max speed: 125,072,124 m/s
  • Launch Mass (Kerbin): 94, 705tones
  • Launch Mass (Jupiter): 539, 739tones (after refuel)
  • Dry Mass: 12,977 tones
  • Wet Mass: 553,788 tones
  • Part Count: 99 (kerbin launch)
  • Part Count: 67 (Jupiter launch)
  • Cost: 4,451,096,064
  • Fuel at Jupiter: 142,228,032m/s (deltaV)
  • Fuel in orbit of target planet: 60,138m/s (deltaV)
  • Crew Capacity: 59

25 minutes ago, AHHans said:

My question was about the payload in orbit, not the mass of the launcher on the pad.

Again, was that the mass of the launcher of the pad, or of the payload in orbit? My question was about the latter.

But with spaceplane SSTOs there is really the question of what is the payload and what is the launcher. So for e.g. my passenger shuttle that I use to ferry personnel to and from the space-stations around the Mun and Minmus I say that the mass of the craft in LKO before the transfer burn is the "payload". (Because the Kerbals without the craft couldn't get where I want them.)

I'd have to do the launch again, no idea of the mass in orbit, but it was pretty significant.  It was something like 3 years ago as well

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

I'd have to do the launch again, no idea of the mass in orbit, but it was pretty significant.  It was something like 3 years ago as well

If you still have the craft file, then just remove all the launcher stages. If a stage is used for both, finalizing the orbit and transfer to the destination, then just remove as much fuel as "feels right" for the circularization burn. No need to actually redo the launch. My goal was to get a general overview what people lob into orbit, so there is no need for unnecessary precision.

13 hours ago, AHHans said:

In that case, I would only count the mass of the crew containing compartments, and the excess fuel (unless you have an engine for the ejection burn that was not also used to get to orbit)

Consider this SSTO:

5J81SUE.png

Should I include the total mass in orbit? I think not.

6me2k2s.png

I count only the ore tanks and excess fuel.

FWIW, the ore tanks weigh 187 tons, and the excess fuel is 267.9 tons, so call it 455 tons. It also has 44 rapiers (88 tons), and 8 LV-Ns (24 tons), and a significant mass of fuel tanks (easily over 50 tons), factor in gear, wheels, wings, etc. I wouldn't call these things payload.

Also, an FYI, that design was my 3x kerbin SSTO, tested on standard kerbin. Here it is taking a payload to orbit over a 3x rescaled Kerbin (1.25x rescaled atmo height)

4So7jmf.png

In this scenario, it has much less excess fuel, and the payload is much smaller. Including the mass of the SSTO as payload clearly isn't valid in this case

Edited by KerikBalm

2 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

In that case, I would only count the mass of the crew containing compartments, and the excess fuel (unless you have an engine for the ejection burn that was not also used to get to orbit)

Well, then don't.;)

I wanted to know how big people let their payloads grow before they think about using other solutions to reach the same goal - like splitting up the payload, or refueling in orbit. Not in the least because I noticed that even my biggest launch wasn't really all that heavy compared to what I had orbiting the different planets. I certainly didn't want to start a contest of who has the biggest rocket or so.:cool:

As I already wrote, with spaceplanes it is a bit hard to distinguish what is the launcher and what is the payload:
My spaceplanes are SSTOs where you cannot detach anything (well, without breaking the craft...), and where I take the full craft for the full trip. In fact, there is very little that could be taken away from the craft in orbit without compromising some part of the mission. (Without the wings and the RAPIERs (in air-breathing mode) I couldn't fly them to land at the KSC anymore.) So I think that the whole craft counts as payload.
On the other hand if you use a spaceplane to get something into orbit which separates from the spaceplane and goes on to perform the mission, while the spaceplane lands again, then the spaceplane itself wouldn't be part of the payload.
And there is a grey area in between...

Spoiler

Here is a picture of my "Person Shuttle 2":

ZyyG0kh.png

26 minutes ago, AHHans said:

I wanted to know how big people let their payloads grow before they think about using other solutions to reach the same goal - like splitting up the payload, or refueling in orbit.

For me, generally around 200 tons, but I fine that the dimension limits are often more problematic for payloads in this category. I have aroughly 200 ton limit for both stock Ksp (orbital vellocity of LKO ~2350 m/s or 3x Ksp at~4,100 m/s)

As I already wrote, with spaceplanes it is a bit hard to distinguish what is the launcher and what is the payload:

I find it quite easy. Payload is anything that didn't have a functional role getting it to orbit.

My spaceplanes are SSTOs where you cannot detach anything (well, without breaking the craft...), and where I take the full craft for the full trip. In fact, there is very little that could be taken away from the craft in orbit without compromising some part of the mission. (Without the wings and the RAPIERs (in air-breathing mode) I couldn't fly them to land at the KSC anymore.) So I think that the whole craft counts as payload.

I do not think the whole craft counts as payload.

Why couldn't you land at KSC without the Rapiers? Not very good at judging your deorbit and glide back to KSC

Your craft can't get to orbit without wings, the wings are not payload. It can't launch without the wheels, the wheels are not payload. The crew compartments could be removed, they are payload. The excess fuel+portion of tanks needed to hold that fuel did not help in getting to orbit, they are payload.

On the other hand if you use a spaceplane to get something into orbit which separates from the spaceplane and goes on to perform the mission, while the spaceplane lands again, then the spaceplane itself wouldn't be part of the payload.

So if I remove a decoupler, it counts as payload again?

Here is a picture of my "Person Shuttle 2":

ZyyG0kh.png

Your payload is:

2x crew cabins: 2x2 = 4 tons

1x mk2 cockpit (I'll count this even though it fills a reaction wheel, command, and aerodynamic purpose, see how generous I am?): 2 tons (6 total now)

1x inline mk2 docking port: 0.3 tons (6.3 total)

2936 units of LF: 14.68 tons (20.98 tons total)

~1.835 tons of tanks used to hold that fuel. (22.81 tons total)

90 units of monoprop0.36 tons (23.17 tons total)

*IF* the LV-Ns weren't used in ascent (pretty sure they were though): 2 LV-Ns, 2x3=6 tons

Total payload: 29.175 tons

26 minutes ago, AHHans said:

wanted to know how big people let their payloads grow before they think about using other solutions to reach the same goal - like splitting up the payload, or refueling in orbit.

For me personally, time is often the main decision factor. I don't have an endless supply of playtime anymore, so I find myself getting as much as I can out of every single launch I do.

There's always need of fuel and resources in orbit. So I launch megasized depots into LKO as soon as funds and tech progress permit. Resources and their tanks are cheap, it tends to be more efficient to launch bigger tanks, and bigger tanks mean less total parts and thus better performance/stability. As far as I'm concerned, the question is not why go big, but why go small?

Playing your cards right, you can even make contracts pay for it. Yes, they're asking for a relay, or a science station. Nothing says I can't add a heap of fuel as well and use it for my own purposes later. So it's a huge frigging tank... it has a thermometer and an antenna on it, it can science. <shrug>

I do at times enjoy manually assembling station parts that have been brought up separately, but mostly it's a trick I've already mastered and feel no need to repeat. I prefer to just send them up pre-assembled if at all technically feasible - which sometimes is a fun challenge in itself that I like tackling.

Those are the practical considerations. The flip side is that I cannot help myself, and I end up over-building. It's a game, we can do pretty much what we want. There's enough limitations to real life already. Live a little - build big.

2 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

For me personally, time is often the main decision factor. I don't have an endless supply of playtime anymore, so I find myself getting as much as I can out of every single launch I do.

I can see that. I spend much more time designing a rocket than it takes me to get it into orbit. So I don't worry about the number of launches. (Both of which is a fraction of the time it takes me to design and test a plane.:/) And I like to imagine how my Kerbals conquer space and build infrastructure there, so I don't mind docking most craft to my fuel station, and shuttling my miner to and from Minmus to refuel the station.

2 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

So it's a huge frigging tank... it has a thermometer and an antenna on it, it can science.

:D Reminds me of a space-station contract I once had: antenna, docking port, power generation, space for five Kerbals.  - Hmmm, I could slap a docking port on my tourist shuttle. - Do you mind if I bring a few tourists? And land the "station" back on Kerbin after you paid me? :cool:

On 2/18/2020 at 4:41 AM, Deddly said:

As in 1000 t in weight in explosive potential? ;)

Seriously, how did you get that to orbit?

As for me, I have always preferred smaller designs, so my maximum is probably less than 100 t.

Yes, 1000 tons! I was using novapunch parts. I had a quad LRB setup that was 5m parts iirc. Was my Goliath Class shuttle. Been soo long now since i had that ship or its sister class Gantry. When novapunch fell to its keepers (tiberius iirc) real life schedule I had to scrap it. Such is the way I suppose. Do you remember @Whackjob ? My 1 kilo ton ship pales to his pc melters teehee. Wonder what became of him?

On 2/20/2020 at 12:25 PM, AHHans said:

283796 kg is the mass of the payload in orbit. Sorry if the wording confused you.

Edited by Pipcard

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2020 at 12:06 AM, AlamoVampire said:

Yes, 1000 tons! I was using novapunch parts. I had a quad LRB setup that was 5m parts iirc. Was my Goliath Class shuttle. Been soo long now since i had that ship or its sister class Gantry. When novapunch fell to its keepers (tiberius iirc) real life schedule I had to scrap it. Such is the way I suppose. Do you remember @Whackjob ? My 1 kilo ton ship pales to his pc melters teehee. Wonder what became of him?

I ran in to a series of very fortunate events culminating in having an event in November where I will be getting married.  Life is good, you know?

1 hour ago, Whackjob said:

I ran in to a series of very fortunate events culminating in having an event in November where I will be getting married.  Life is good, you know?

Firstly, that is wondrous news! I wish you and yours the best of the best! I just want to also say it is an honor to have you reply to me :)! Again may you have only the best!

I've only got my recent pictures handy.  So...

QsRA8oy.jpg

This is what I've got recently.   More to come.  I have to finish building the front of it.

11 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Firstly, that is wondrous news! I wish you and yours the best of the best! I just want to also say it is an honor to have you reply to me :)! Again may you have only the best!

Thank you!  There's no honor, honestly.  I'm just a guy.  I tuck my beard into my lapbelt when I drive, like everyone else.

I just launched 8 (i think) of the 5 meter tanks, empty, along with an ENORMOUS, mostly full second stage. based on the fact that they were both around 2 kilotons (i think) in the VAB, they are probably At Least 1 kiloton when in orbit.

Spoiler
3 hours ago, moogoob said:

I once spaced one of the largest new 5m tanks, full.  I tried looking its mass up in the wiki, but it seems nobody updates that thing.

well you could make a new craft and just make it one of the tanks, then check its mass.

Edited by Dirkidirk

My largest is 6 kilotons.  17 large 5m tanks and a lot of adapters.  Single stage to Mun only using mammoths (jet engines and planes are just too finicky, ya know?).  20 passengers.  And of course it has scanners and an ISRU (or maybe 8).

Rather moderately sized by some standards, but biggest one I've ever built.

Edited by RoninFrog

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.