Kerbal Space Program 1.9: "There’s No Place Like Home” Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

8 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

"Fixed audio fade with camera distance" Thank... God. That is the best thing for me in 1.9. The engine audio not fading with distance was killing this game for me.

No more parts burning several kilometres away exploding with the same volume as if part of your re-entry vehicle just blew up!

1 hour ago, NoMrBond said:

I have bolded the bit which I am suspecting has come to pass? 

Partially at least.  Logarithmic buffers appear to have been implemented in Unity 5.x versions.

The 'magic' that is being implemented now isn't something 'new', but is rather the default for DX11 that was previously unable to be taken advantage of because of the DX9 support.  Reversed z-ordering is the bit of magic implemented here that allows for a single camera.

Found more information on it, and very good explanations, here:

https://developer.nvidia.com/content/depth-precision-visualized

It also explains why this technique doesn't work with OpenGL.  Bit of a read, but a good one.

1 minute ago, Shadowmage said:

Partially at least.  Logarithmic buffers appear to have been implemented in Unity 5.x versions.

The 'magic' that is being implemented now isn't something 'new', but is rather the default for DX11 that was previously unable to be taken advantage of because of the DX9 support.  Reversed z-ordering is the bit of magic implemented here that allows for a single camera.

Found more information on it, and very good explanations, here:

https://developer.nvidia.com/content/depth-precision-visualized

It also explains why this technique doesn't work with OpenGL.  Bit of a read, but a good one.

Heh, I was already reading that after remembering Blackracks comment on it

I have some gripes with the terrain textures

1.8 introduced a new terrain shader, and now there's another one. A lot of people who work on planets spent weeks updating to the shader introduced in 1.8, and their work is now null and void now that the 1.9 update introduced a superior one

Secondly, this new shader requires another map to function. To work effectively it'll need to be at minimum 2048 x 1024 for large planets if the shorelines are to be accurate. For mods like JNSQ built at a large scale, these maps will need to be much larger

Surely there wasn't a better way to implement this shader? I'd be happy with an altitude curve. Or, alternatively, use the biome maps that already correspond to regions on the terrain and lerp between those regions?

Or use a colour range on the colour map, such that you can set a grass colour for the grass terrain texture, and a desert colour for the desert terrain texture

As much as I like the changes coming to the terrain (which we've needed for a while) I just don't think this is the way forward.

I've read through the "for modders" documentation on how to use it, but I'm not convinced it is an effective use of large amounts of system resources. The ram requirement will go up by 20% for a planet mod with 4 maps already if this is the same resolution...

Please please please clarify if I've gotten anything wrong. I do want to use this shader and it has massive potential, I think the implementation is just a little off!

Edited by Gameslinx

2 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Huh, figures that 1.9 would hit literally hours after I finally update my mods to 1.8.

Not quite so bad here. For me it was this weekend.

But I've decided I can't play at less than 2.5 times (except challenges I suppose) so for me it won't be 1.9 until Kopernicus and JNSQ run on it.

14 minutes ago, Steven Mading said:

I just downloaded KSP 1.9 and ran into this issue right away.  When two manuever nodes are in your future flight plan, the second one can't be edited by pulling on the GUI knobs for it.  That used to work just fine.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/24840

Am I the only one having this problem?

Sadly no, you're not the only one - I've just confirmed it's happening for me too :(

1 hour ago, Shadowmage said:

As this feature is simulating collective pitch, as utilized by helicopters and other rotorcraft, I'm not sure how it could be applied (conceptually) to combustion based engines.

Conceptually it would dynamically tune the thrust limiter on multiple engines to roll/pitch/yaw the craft. Some mods do that.

I'm looking forward to some things in KSP 1.9, but...

"we’re including some cool stock crafts".

It would give me more confidence in the developers if they could consistently correctly spell the plural of "craft", as they are such a central part of KSP. The correct plural of "craft" is "craft". :-(

28 minutes ago, rmaine said:

The correct plural of "craft" is "craft". :-(

Craftses! Creeftses!

Sorry just watched Willy Wonka again.

8 minutes ago, Mutex said:

Am I seeing things or are the kerbals orange? I've got night light on my phone but that can't be it.

Also the land is blue (or white) and the suits have weird blocky things on them.

Drag still needs fixing. From 1.8 to 1.8.1 the drag on all my aircraft is well over twice as much, also parts attached to nodes don’t seem to be occluded, sometimes having a higher drag than the front cone/cockpit!

And the Mainsail change just resulted in an existing contract getting hit with the instafail bug, because the part has been made obsolete... :(

(Tried to paste an image, learned that I can't. But it says " You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL." - I can't find a button to upload, just one to insert an image from URL. Upload also impossible?)

4 hours ago, MR L A said:

Very nice, but I am HUGELY TRIGGERED by the fact we have yet another shade of orange... the orange on the skipper retexture is not even close to the orange on the large 2.5m tank :(

Rockets be looking like patchwork quilts these days