Kerbal Space Program 1.9: "There’s No Place Like Home” Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

Lol, just yesterday I've decided to return to KSP (last time I played actively  was about an year ago, but... it was 1.3 rescaled 6.4x game with >100 mods) and  made a copy of 1.8.1 steam install.

Then applied JNCQ and all essentials (around 45 mods I guess...) and was quite motivated and ispired to start a new career by result.

And today I see - 1.9 striked with new shader/camera thingies that will definetly break 70% of essential mods.

Perfect timing, SQUAD :)

Would stick to play "vanillish" game in stock, but... It is almost impossible to go back from rescaled system to good old 1/10 Kerbin. 

/rant mode off

Still great to see the game rolling. Can't wait to get to my gaming rig to see new Kerbin. And new motors. And build helis.

Also, drain valve was the only reason for me to install smart parts pack for quite some time.

Edited by evileye.x

2 hours ago, evileye.x said:

And today I see - 1.9 striked with new shader/camera thingies that will definetly break 70% of essential mods.

Actually, no.  It will break those mods which are version-checked, such as Kopernicus.  And some mods which rely-on/use various terrain shaders, etc.

But most mods will not need updating for this release.  It is not a new version of Unity, 1.8 broke most code-based mods because of that

Quicksaves can no longer be made when the active vessel is about to crash into the ground

The logic for this appears to be a bit broken. I've had it a few times already in somewhat questionable circumstances.

The most recent of these was just now: the craft was descending at about 5 m/s, hanging from chutes, and still minutes away from splashing down on Kerbin... I wouldn't call that "about to crash into the ground". :-D

6 minutes ago, Inter said:

The acronym "NRE" was thrown around everywhere in this changelog but never defined first.  What does it stand for, please?

It stands for Null Reference Exception. It's a programming term that in plain English means that you are trying to access something that is not there when you need it. The consequences can vary from just getting log spam to a behavior in the game completely breaking.

On 2/12/2020 at 7:19 PM, UomoCapra said:

A brand new part that, as the name suggests, is a release valve for parts with drainable resources, such as monopropellant, ore, liquid fuel, oxidizer or xenon. The Drain Valve also allows you to set the drainage over a specific amount of time. 

Time to see how much TWR that thing gives

19 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

1.8 introduced a new terrain shader, and now there's another one. A lot of people who work on planets spent weeks updating to the shader introduced in 1.8, and their work is now null and void now that the 1.9 update introduced a superior one

The work done for 1.8 is not void since that is the High Quality and that should still work with no major changes.

I've read through the "for modders" documentation on how to use it, but I'm not convinced it is an effective use of large amounts of system resources. The ram requirement will go up by 20% for a planet mod with 4 maps already if this is the same resolution...

That's why we created an Ultra Quality category because we are aware of the extra resources and performance required while trying to optimize it as much as we could. 

Surely there wasn't a better way to implement this shader? I'd be happy with an altitude curve. Or, alternatively, use the biome maps that already correspond to regions on the terrain and lerp between those regions?

We picked this strategy because we wanted to give artists the ability to assign different textures to different areas regardless of the terrain altutude (we didn't want to be forced to use a tinted grass texture for the desert). This won't be useful in all planets but will be very handy for some of them as Kerbin. 

58 minutes ago, Inter said:

The acronym "NRE" was thrown around everywhere in this changelog but never defined first.  What does it stand for, please?

Null Reference Exception. Basically a type of error.

(oops, didn't notice the previous reply)

Edited by RealKerbal3x

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

But most mods will not need updating for this release.  It is not a new version of Unity, 1.8 broke most code-based mods because of that

Agreed.  From my testing yesterday, it looks like the only mods that should be broken by this update are those that interacted with the main game-cameras; such as Scatterer and EVE (and any other that might interact with those systems).

I didn't notice any other API-level mod-breaking changes during testing of my mods, and they poke around in a very large number of the KSP code subsystems.  Overall seems to be a pretty 'gentle' update as far as most mods should be concerned.

16 hours ago, Neilski said:

Is there a way to revert to 1.8 if you use Steam? 

If you right-click the game in the games list, select 'properties', and then go to the 'betas' tab in the popup window, it should allow you to select previous versions under the 'Select the beta you would like to opt into:'.  Note, it isn't just betas, but actual full stable previous versions of the game.  Mine is already showing 1.8.1 as an available previous version.

22 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

So...

* Blades auto-detect cyclic vs collective control mode based on location of rotation axis relative to the vessel center of mass, per control axis. Mode indicated in Rotation Control State group in Advanced Tweakables.

Is this available for more than just blades?  Outboard jet or rocket engines for instance?

22 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

No. Sorry. Only ModuleControlSurface.

Mk2 Stockalike Expansion has one or more VTOL engines that use ModuleControlSurface for their tilt function. Have fun with those. ;)

I'd also like to say thank you for including those new stock craft, particularly the Breaking Ground ones like the Arrow-E, as their throttle usage is the most intuitive setup I've seen yet for propeller planes.  Hopefully I'll be able to reverse engineer them and finally be able to make something useful with the Robotics.  I wish they had been included at the DLC's release.

21 hours ago, Shaun said:

Drag still needs fixing. From 1.8 to 1.8.1 the drag on all my aircraft is well over twice as much, also parts attached to nodes don’t seem to be occluded, sometimes having a higher drag than the front cone/cockpit!

Something came to my mind this afternoon, as I'm specially interested on drag as my designs are also failing (besides not exactly as you describes).

Check the Alt-F12/Cheats/Part Clipping in Editor and also the Alt-F12/Physics/Drag settings. Compare them with the values on the KSP that it's working as intended.

AdZOIyq.png

1 hour ago, lajoswinkler said:

New savegame. One segment of the runway is missing. Hangar is not connected to runway. Random skybox side is missing. Resource overlay is not working.

Performance is mostly better. Redesigned surfaces of planetary bodies look nice.

Remove scatter and EVE

10 hours ago, Just Jim said:

No... no new game required.

Hi everyone! I just wanted to confirm this... I can update KSP to 1.9 and still play my 1.8.1 career game?

This is my first patch that's come out during an active game I was playing. I wasn't expecting to be able to do that...

Thanks!