[Linux] Texture quality on Kerbin not persistent after restart

This is the start menu screen of my game at current graphical settings (everything related to textures are maxed out), look at the Kerbin textures in the background: https://i.imgur.com/BTNSTIu.jpg

Then I open the settings menu and click "accept" without changing anything. This is the result (the texture quality is much higher): https://i.imgur.com/3WntmQt.jpg

After that, I restart the game and the textures returns to look the same as the first picture. I guess that some graphical option is not being updated in the settings.cfg file (despite being applied to the running game), but I don't know which one. I compared this file before and after restarting and clicking "accept" but nothing is changed.

This was happening on 1.8.1 and it's still happening on 1.9.

Anyone with Linux confirm this bug?

Log: https://pastebin.com/d959zGHS

settings.cfg: https://pastebin.com/pmWVJBv1

Edited by Vinil

2 hours ago, said:

Ok, I poked around some more, maybe this will help. First this screenshot from when I set texture quality to 1/8. Notice TEXTURE_QUALITY = 3 in settings.cfg.

7FHdA6D.png

Next, I changed texture quality to Full Res. The settings.cfg changed to TEXTURE_QUALITY = 0.

2FfO1Vh.png

On Windows I also have TEXTURE_QUALITY  = 0 and this issue doesn't happen.

In fact, I performed a diff between my settings.cfg on Windows and Linux and the only differences are related to keyboard shortcuts.  Quite strange...

Do you also see the same bug on your game?

Edited by Vinil

6 hours ago, said:

If you mean "graphical option is not being updated in the settings.cfg file" is the same bug as you, then I would say no, I am not seeing the same bug. My settings.cfg is updating as expected.

But, if you mean - am I seeing texture bugs in my game on Linux?, then yes, I am seeing texture bugs. Even though I have texture quality set to Full Res I am still seeing low res textures being used in game. Case in point is the Hitchiker Storage container like in this thread -

But, as far as the loading menu screen is concerned, no. When I change my texture quality setting, the textures on the loading menu screen are changing.

Texture quality set to 1/8

gzacAM9.png

texture quality set to full res

Mt3EcEb.png

texture quality set back to 1/8

OVEHPM8.png

No, I don't mean any of these, you got me wrong :lol:

My issue is that, when I restart my game, the textures of Kerbin decreases quality (goes from Full Res to Half Res), but only visually, the settings menu don't change.

When I said that the settings.cfg might not be updating was a pure guess. In fact I previously discarded this guess by comparing my Windows and Linux versions of the file.

Try this: set your texture quality to Full Res (or, if it's already at Full Res, just enter settings and click "accept" to force the change of quality visually), look at the textures of Kerbin in start menu screen (take a picture of it), then restart your game and compare it with the pic you took previously.

Edited by Vinil

On 2/17/2020 at 11:35 AM, said:

So, I am thinking this is probably a symptom of the same texture bugs seen on the parts like the Hitchiker Container also. It will be interesting to see if this continues in 1.9.

edit : I did some more experimenting. The part texture and this are not the same. It seems the higher res images for the parts like the Hitchiker are just not there to begin with. Honestly, it feels like the Linux version is released as an afterthought, with very little or no testing done at all. And you can shout about bugs at the top of your lungs and it falls on deaf ears for the most part. I'll say it again, it's probably better if we just stop using this version completely, and instead run the windows version under wine or proton. At least with wine and proton, if you complain about performance or bugs in the compatibility layers, someone will eventually try to fix it.

As I said in the first post, this bug is present both on 1.8 and 1.9.

And you're right, Squad don't care about the Linux version, I'm already playing this game only on Windows, even though I almost never use Windows...

Anyway, I was waiting for confirmation before creating a bug report on this, hope they fix it in the next version. Later I'll edit this post with the link.

Edit: https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/24907

Edited by Vinil

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.