KSP 1.9 in face of KSP 2

Vegatoxi

Does it have any sense?

Obvious when KSP 2 is out, nobody will play KSP

And i'm interesting - what's next? KSP 2.0?

Sounds like a very stupid joke...

Also i'm check KSP 1.9...

Spoiler

These terrarin textures make me cry;.;

As bugs too.

Edited by Vegatoxi

@Vegatoxi KSP 1 will continue development after KSP 2 is released, for the same reason that car companies still produce spare parts for cars they no longer build, or why Microsoft provided updates for Windows 7 so long after Windows 10 was released - to support the existing users. I'm sure sales of KSP 1 will drop when KSP 2 comes out, but that's not a reason for SQUAD to stop providing for everyone who has invested so much time in the game because a shiny new one has come along.

13 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@Vegatoxi KSP 1 will continue development after KSP 2 is released, for the same reason that car companies still produce spare parts for cars they no longer build, or why Microsoft provided updates for Windows 7 so long after Windows 10 was released - to support the existing users. I'm sure sales of KSP 1 will drop when KSP 2 comes out, but that's not a reason for SQUAD to stop providing for everyone who has invested so much time in the game because a shiny new one has come along.

Games is not an OS or cars.

@Vegatoxi

"Does it have any sense?"

Why yes... yes it does. Currently there is only one KSP on the market and given that there's been no pre-launch buildup press for KSP 2, its release is probably still some months away.

"Obvious when KSP 2 is out, nobody will play KSP"

Not obvious at all. Many people have significant time invested in their game saves, meaning that a switch to KSP 2 is not a painless one. Additionally, the suggested price of KSP2 is significantly higher than the KSP 1. This means that many players will not make the switch, or will only do so after some time, possibly waiting until it's discounted.

"And i'm interesting - what's next? KSP 2.0?

Sounds like a very stupid joke..."

Yes... and one that you've made. I'm sure that if Squad continue developing KSP beyond 1.9, that that their naming strategy will change to something sensible that doesn't conflict with the new game.

36 minutes ago, Vegatoxi said:

Games is not an OS or cars.

My analogies may be imperfect, but the point is, why not continue developing the original game to keep longtime players happy? KSP 1 and KSP 2 are being developed by different companies, so it's not like continued development of KSP 1 will affect KSP 2 in any way. 

7 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

My analogies may be imperfect, but the point is, why not continue developing the original game to keep longtime players happy? KSP 1 and KSP 2 are being developed by different companies, so it's not like continued development of KSP 1 will affect KSP 2 in any way. 

2 companies of 1 publisher

Develop 2 almost same games at the same time

Simple math.

Games and OS are software. 

But I can't see your point there, what makes their development different, in which way?

Besides, people still play Civilization IV even though there is VI available.

Edit: oh wait, I remember you.

Same thing said in different words.

Edited by The Aziz

6 minutes ago, Dafni said:

Obvious? How?

I believe KSP will live on. At least I myself have no intention of stopping playing KSP 1.3.1 from time to time.

Think.

You have 2 almost same games with 1 of it having more and newest features.

Simple choice.

23 minutes ago, Vegatoxi said:

Think.

Simple choice.

You have two similar games with one of them having a massive mod ecosystem. (Also, stock robotics. KSP2 won't have those, at least not straight out of the gate.)

I'm sure that if KSP2 is a success, then KSP1 will gradually fade away into the genteel retirement of great old games with a small but dedicated fan base.

(In fact, I'm sure that it'll do that eventually anyway -- KSP2 will simply speed up the process somewhat.)

1 hour ago, Vegatoxi said:

Think.

Simple choice.

Simple? You own one of the games already and don't know if the other ones sucks yet. Even if it doesn't suck, it has no mods for it and we don't even know what mods we'd like yet.

It's a simple choice for YOU. The world is made up of many other people who aren't you and aren't in even remotely the same situation you are in.

I personally will buy KSP2 right after I see a couple reviewers I trust give it the thumbs up. Hopefully on day 1 but maybe up to a week after it hits. I will likely play it to the exclusion of at least KSP1 if not all other games for quite some time.

But if it fails on enough points, I'll be right back here playing on my modded solar system.

2 companies of 1 publisher

Develop 2 almost same games at the same time

Simple math.

KSP 2 is being developed by Star Theory, which is an independent studio not owned by Take-Two. So it's separate teams belonging to separate companies on each game.

40 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Simple? You own one of the games already and don't know if the other ones sucks yet. Even if it doesn't suck, it has no mods for it and we don't even know what mods we'd like yet.

It's a simple choice for YOU. The world is made up of many other people who aren't you and aren't in even remotely the same situation you are in.

I personally will buy KSP2 right after I see a couple reviewers I trust give it the thumbs up. Hopefully on day 1 but maybe up to a week after it hits. I will likely play it to the exclusion of at least KSP1 if not all other games for quite some time.

But if it fails on enough points, I'll be right back here playing on my modded solar system.

And can you explain why devs strat another same game with just few improvements if they already have great game?

Why not just add these improvements to it?

Even as DLC.

7 hours ago, Vegatoxi said:

Obvious when KSP 2 is out, nobody will play KSP

I think you'd be surprised.  I'm all but certain that I'll be buying KSP 2 if it isn't plagued with the same performance issues that exist in current KSP, and if it offers the same ability to be modded as KSP 1.  But I won't be buying it on day 1 because I don't trust any game developer, and I won't be buying it at all if either of those criteria aren't met.

Everything I've seen so far, which isn't much, makes me want to buy it.  But I damn sure am not going to spend $60 on it if the value proposition isn't there.

And even if KSP2 is amazing from the outset and open to modding, it's very unlikely that it's going to have all of the features I use mods to add.  Some of which are features that at this point I don't want to live without.  So while I may end up buying it and playing it for a bit, once I'm done exploring what the stock game has to offer I'm likely still going to go back to KSP 1 until mods on KSP 2 reach feature parity.

Edited by DeliriumTrigger

44 minutes ago, Vegatoxi said:

Even as DLC.

Because there's no way they could fund the development of those features with DLC money.

I really don't understand people not wanting a sequel, this game always needed a complete code rewrite to optimize things from the start and get rid of all the spaghetti-code, the features and ships shown in the trailer only would be too heavy for most PCs and bugged as hell on KSP1.

49 minutes ago, Vegatoxi said:

And can you explain why devs strat another same game with just few improvements if they already have great game?

Even as DLC.

KSP 1 was not originally made by experienced game developers; Squad started out making business marketing software. I can't be certain, since I don't work there and don't have access to the source code, but there are likely a ton of core engine optimizations that could be accomplished more easily by starting from scratch as opposed to refactoring the existing code base and trying to keep it backwards compatible(ish). Also, game tools and tech change frequently, and starting over means they can take advantage of newer and nicer stuff.

Even as DLC.

I'm sure it would be possible to add the interstellar and colonisation features to KSP1. Multiplayer, I very much doubt it, syncing physics in a multiplayer game is going to be tough even if you start from a clean slate.

Trouble is, KSP1 is creaking at the seams. It has a lot of legacy baggage it's carrying around that can't be addressed without rewriting large swathes of it and breaking back compatibility (not just for mods, also for craft and careers). That will take a quite a lot of time and money to do. I don't think it'd be economically feasible to do this under the KSP1 umbrella, more so as people would be upset that their 10 years worth of craft and careers will break. 

So KSP2 is the solution. Whether and how well it will succeed -- technically, commercially, and in terms of gameplay and community adoption -- is a different matter.

Unfortunately, KSP, even with the best mods, is an outdated game with no further potential. We need a breath of fresh air, like KSP2. And after the sequel is released, the old game will not make any sense.

Just now, Brikoleur said:

I'm sure it would be possible to add the interstellar and colonisation features to KSP1. Multiplayer, I very much doubt it, syncing physics in a multiplayer game is going to be tough even if you start from a clean slate.

Trouble is, KSP1 is creaking at the seams. It has a lot of legacy baggage it's carrying around that can't be addressed without rewriting large swathes of it and breaking back compatibility (not just for mods, also for craft and careers). That will take a quite a lot of time and money to do. I don't think it'd be economically feasible to do this under the KSP1 umbrella, more so as people would be upset that their 10 years worth of craft and careers will break. 

So KSP2 is the solution. Whether and how well it will succeed -- technically, commercially, and in terms of gameplay and community adoption -- is a different matter.

take it easy. KSP 1 was not originally intended for such things. That's why we need KSP 2.

Edited by OOM

2 hours ago, Vegatoxi said:

Even as DLC.

Many of the improvements in KSP2 will come from it being developed from the ground up, allowing for changes that would otherwise being impractical or even impossible. Therefore it's not as simple as just "adding things on" to the original game.

You're talking about this as if these issues that are being discussed are simple and just "black or white". As a games developer for over 3 decades, I can assure you than few things are that simple.

2 hours ago, Vegatoxi said:

KSP2 is a totally different game from different developers. Applying KSP code to KSP2 would be like applying improvements to a seat in a fighter jet to your sofa. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.