Kerbin without oceans

Klapaucius

So,

I had not read through the KSP announcements, so was surprised when my KSP booted up as 1.9. Wahoo!  I was wondering with all the new textures if the environmental mods would work. Well, if you have ever wondered what Kerbin, Eve or Laythe look like without oceans, here is your chance. The water is still there, but it has been rendered invisible. It's like one of those National Geographic topographical maps. Pretty cool, actually.

9D9tWzV.png

xOww0Hh.png

LdBTR6m.png

MWWmtRB.png

The mountain lake

ABGobPD.png

C6Ax86q.png

CpPPUf0.png

QDMNHgn.png

0K9gRFX.png

4 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I can't be the only one who is bothered by the fact that the ground underwater is just blue for no reason.

I am too, I wonder why they did that?

1 hour ago, Ogberi said:

Drastic effect of where the blue food color plant had a catastrophic leak?

That is a reasonable explanation.

I think I figured out the reason for that - water as is, I mean the surface, isn't rendered when the ship is high enough, but the ground always is. So to keep Kerbin look from space like there are indeed bodies of water (same applies for shiny Eve seas and grey-ish blue oceans of Laythe) they appropriately colored the ground under the surface.

You can avoid that by having two textures, one without the blue stained ocean ground that is used to set the ground colour for the PQSMod VertexColorMap for when you are near the surface and then another texture that is used for ScaledSpace that has the blue stained ocean ground that renders when you are high up in orbit. You essentially fade between the two when the ocean starts to get rendered through the ScaledSpace <-> PQS transition.

Anyone who played There (MMO sandbox-ish world) long ago ought to be comfortable with the blue ocean floor.  The first six or eight years of There, the oceans of that were were "blue concrete".  They added water eventually, about a meter deep, with waves, to the great disappointment of some folks who'd been used to being able to drive a dune buggy at 500+ km/h on the smooth blue ocean.

I've got all my mods ready for 1.9.x but Scatterer and maybe EVE just need to update. Although, I don't care just yet. They have done a lot of work and you can't really expect someone to update something in 1- a week of a release.

But, I'm ready and this update looks good!. A nice reason to use the stock textures for the planets and use TextureReplacerReplaced for the suits and reflections. I had the same issue but I did change to the newest EVE and didn't change to 1.9.x after it. So, I don't know if I have the black sky. Darn it. Just when I got all my mods updated!

15 hours ago, Arco123 said:

I've got all my mods ready for 1.9.x but Scatterer and maybe EVE just need to update. Although, I don't care just yet. They have done a lot of work and you can't really expect someone to update something in 1- a week of a release.

But, I'm ready and this update looks good!. A nice reason to use the stock textures for the planets and use TextureReplacerReplaced for the suits and reflections. I had the same issue but I did change to the newest EVE and didn't change to 1.9.x after it. So, I don't know if I have the black sky. Darn it. Just when I got all my mods updated!

I don't use Steam so no worries about being updated without my knowing.  I am still running 1.8.1 but I have 1.9 set up in another folder to test when the mods I want will work.

Currently Scatterer is way off, EVE looks suspicious and TCA is not displaying most of the interface, but otherwise about 60 mods going all the way back to 1.6 are running fine.  Also, I copied a recent save game into the 1.9 folder to be sure it will work with my current Career.  Seems to be fine.

3 hours ago, archiebald said:

I don't use Steam so no worries about being updated without my knowing.  I am still running 1.8.1 but I have 1.9 set up in another folder to test when the mods I want will work.

I keep several copies with planet packs on another drive, but I just let my main one update when it sees fit.  Keeps me on my toes.

52 minutes ago, Rocket Witch said:

Are there any large surface features normally hidden or is Kerbin's undersea terrain mostly flat-ish?

What does the crater rim area look like?

I have not seen any hidden features but have not looked at the whole planet. The pictures above with the island are the crater rim, unless you are referring to another location.

On 2/15/2020 at 10:39 AM, The Aziz said:

I think I figured out the reason for that - water as is, I mean the surface, isn't rendered when the ship is high enough, but the ground always is. So to keep Kerbin look from space like there are indeed bodies of water (same applies for shiny Eve seas and grey-ish blue oceans of Laythe) they appropriately colored the ground under the surface.

Notice though that the deep mountain lakes are not blue.

Edited by Klapaucius

5 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

I have not seen any hidden features but have not looked at the whole planet. The pictures above with the island are the crater rim, unless you are referring to another location.

Oh, no, that's the one, I see now. It's a lot flatter up close than it looks from orbit.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing  :) this happened to me too after trying to install AVP (including Scatterer of course). Spent a few hours flying around admiring the view.

In case anyone is wondering - there are workarounds available to play with Scatterer enabled again. Links to the workarounds are found in the OP

With Scatterer "patched", I'll stick with 1.9.1 - starting a new (apart from visual enhancements) stock playthrough :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2020 at 8:24 AM, brain__washed said:

With Scatterer "patched", I'll stick with 1.9.1 - starting a new (apart from visual enhancements) stock playthrough :)

We have unofficial builds at the end of the thread that truly work without workarounds on 1.9, but they have a few small bugs (mainly, terrain shadows don't work, but KSP added something like that anyways, so...).

They are actually pretty decent quality other than that, if you want to try them until blackrack returns.

https://github.com/R-T-B/Scatterer/releases

2 hours ago, R-T-B said:

We have unofficial builds at the end of the thread that truly work without workarounds on 1.9, but they have a few small bugs (mainly, terrain shadows don't work, but KSP added something like that anyways, so...).

They are actually pretty decent quality other than that, if you want to try them until blackrack returns.

https://github.com/R-T-B/Scatterer/releases

Thanks for the info! I will give it a shot once I get home. Hats off to you sir!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.