Exploding Helmet

Jerlong Kerman has died. His helmet exploded while on the Mun.

explosion.jpg

Is it a bug or a feature?

Whenever I load a save, Jerlong dies. He is the only one of four Kerbals on this site affected.

He can go around while wearing the helmet and enter another craft. But once I save and load... boom.  The same If I switch to another Kerbal, go away about 200 meters and switch back.

Edited by Lechu

1.9? It appears to happen to few other people as well, including myself.

Better to fill out a bug report, but my current workaround: open the savefile, find your kerbal and change the line about his helmet to True (there could be multiple so better change them all)

Yeah, but he had his helmet later, right? Since he was on EVA already. My Bob who popped last night could've had it off earlier as well.

I suppose it might be a bug in the code, when there are multiple lines in the savefile regarding the helmet, as I said before, but the game fails to decide which one to use. So if the Kerbal had his helmet off before, there's a chance that the game will pick that line, and not the current one.

But that's just theory.

Edited by The Aziz

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

Better to fill out a bug report...

When someone does a bug report, can you ping me, please? Or pm me the bug report number. Try and attach a saved game with the issue if possible

Thanks!  

Edited by Just Jim

9 hours ago, Lechu said:

Come to think about it, I could have removed his helmet while on Kerbin, long ago.

Something like that happened to my Kerbals in earlier versions, too. There, it only happened to Kerbals on new launches, spawning in external command chairs without their helmets. I play with "PHYSICS_FRAME_DT_LIMIT = 0.12" and just shrugged it off as a race condition in an unusual configuration. It didn't happen with the default settings, so I never bothered to open a bug report.

Spoiler

pgV1j8k.jpg

No it's definately a bug with the new style suits introduced in the making history expansion, or at least I've only seem it happen with those suits, anytime a kerbal with the special suits becomes unfocused, their helmets disappear, and if htey are in a no oxygen enviroment. poof.

On 2/19/2020 at 8:56 AM, evileye.x said:

Do you have "remove helmet / neck ring by default" option in the setting set?

No, in general settings not. Haven't even seen such an option. I did it manually, to several Kerbals, while doing contracts on Kerbin. Maybe I did it to this one as well once, I don't  remember.

I've got this bug as well, with Bob on Minmus, but here's the kicker:

name = KerbalEVA
                    isEnabled = True
                    JetpackDeployed = False
                    lampOn = False
                    isHelmetEnabled = True
                    isNeckRingEnabled = False
                    lastBoundStep = 1.71533203
                    _flags = 1
                    useGlobalPhysicMaterial = True
                    stagingEnabled = True
                    state = Idle (Grounded)

It says he has a helmet enabled in the save file :P

The last patch resolved the problem. At lest for me. When I today started Galaxy, I have noticed that KSP is downloading some small upgrade.

After loading that old save from rearrangement of Munbase, Jerlong's helmet is no longer exploding.

Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.