My Science Denial Documentary Airing Tonight on PBS Independent Lens

sevenperforce

NASA's Heather Archuletta tweeted a long thread yesterday about why anyone at all who cares about science absolutely has to watch We Believe In Dinosaurs when it airs tonight at 10 Eastern on PBS.

The film follows, among other things, my own personal journey out of the anti-science movement. I encourage everyone to watch and comment.

Obligatory from xkcd: 

Spoiler

beliefs.jpg

7 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

I read that it’s on Amazon Prime, may be wrong.

Through prime, but not for free.

Also, what prime offers differs from country to country, and I think access is tied to the country associated with your account (so you can’t bypass it with a VPN ) but I might be wrong.

44 minutes ago, MinimumSky5 said:

Do you know if this will be available on a streaming service, I'd like to watch, but I'm not sure how to as a non-US citizen?

Try this?

https://www.pbs.org/video/we-believe-in-dinosaurs-hnhjlz/

Of course, it'll say it's unavailable until the premiere time, but after that it should be there.

Edited by cubinator

2 hours ago, MinimumSky5 said:

Do you know if this will be available on a streaming service, I'd like to watch, but I'm not sure how to as a non-US citizen?

You should be able to watch it streaming live on the PBS website. If not you can watch it for a small fee on Amazon Prime Video or Google Play.

Update: the leader of the anti-science cult central to the film speaks out in criticism of me and the filmmakers:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/religion/2020/02/17/kentucky-ark-encounter-documentary-what-you-need-know/4773758002/

2 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

You should be able to watch it streaming live on the PBS website. If not you can watch it for a small fee on Amazon Prime Video or Google Play.

Update: the leader of the anti-science cult central to the film speaks out in criticism of me and the filmmakers:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/religion/2020/02/17/kentucky-ark-encounter-documentary-what-you-need-know/4773758002/

Ah boy good ole Ken Ham in the house, not even worth the read.

anyone who doesn't believe in evolution hasn't had to put down an insect infestation. them critters will evolve faster than you can counter. poison one works great at first, but subsequent generations will rapidly grow resistance. so you deploy poison number 2. a couple generations later that stops working, you go back to number 1 and nothing happens. so you bring in poison 3. after a long campaign of chemical warfare you might actually succeed at putting them down. and thats nothing compared to what people who work with germs can observe on even shorter timescales. 

as for the whole documentry i could have summed it up here:

Spoiler

theres your one true profit and savior. hail lemmy!

2 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Have you had a chance to talk to him?

I grew up talking to him, haha. I'm the black sheep who betrayed AiG and joined the dark side.

18 hours ago, MinimumSky5 said:

Looks like it is currently available here though I don't know how long or whether your viewing location matters: https://www.pbs.org/video/we-believe-in-dinosaurs-hnhjlz/

7 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I grew up talking to him, haha. I'm the black sheep who betrayed AiG and joined the dark side.

Oh, so I suppose there's a bit of perceived personal injury/insult and like you said "betrayal". Also, extra kudos for managing to get away after growing up surrounded by such strong influence.

PBS site is blocked for my region and won't play the video, I'll see if I can change my location somehow.

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Why should anyone believe that the dinobones are older than 6000 years?

Reveal hidden contents

They get autogenerated on demand every time you open a new chunk of ground.

Dino bones is not the main issue, we have continues tree ring samples going all the way back well into the ice age.
You find the ring pattern of an old living tree. Then you compare this with an dead one, bogs conserve organic so good that an bronze age human sacrifice kicked off an murder investigation. 
Now you line this up in an row, very nice for calibrating C14. Then you have ice core samples who also match the tree rings in how climate was and this goes back much farther. 
More fun is that geology has theories about how the earth formed over billions of years, they are very nice for finding valuable minerals and oil.

Finally explain human expansion and the various human races on an 6000 year old world, without evolution.
Yes you could say God created it all 6000 years ago set up like that, kind of like a game like Skyrim loads with lots of ruins who has never been complete buildings. This breaks Adam and Eve see above.  
And the creation date could be 1000 years ago too, harder as we had writing but doable or we could live in an simulation. 

Its an non falsifiable theory and therefor useless. Its an simulation but geology still works nice for finding oil. 

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Finally explain human expansion and the various human races on an 6000 year old world, without evolution.

Why need 6000?

People are NPC autospawned on your approach.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

geology still works nice for finding oil. 

Btw. To where do the rings disappear when a tree becomes oil?

Edited by kerbiloid

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

(Just don't introduce him into Tsiolkovskiy's version of that cosmism, lol...)

Think you messed up the guy who developed the rocket equation and the other Russian who claimed Venus was spit out of Jupiter in historic times. 

The rocket equation works out well, the other one has loads of issues as an very bad sci-fi movie. 

4 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:
  Hide contents

Why need 6000?

People are NPC autospawned on your approach.

Hide contents

Btw. To where do the rings disappear when a tree becomes oil?

Elder scroll not GTA, NPC don't despawn. If you pickpocket the dress of a lady she will continue walking around in her underwear. 
Trees become coal and you can find tree rings in some coal types. 
You can also find tree rings in concrete it they used plank as sheathing 

11 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Think you messed up the guy who developed the rocket equation

Meshcherskiy? https://clever-geek.github.io/articles/2229716/index.html

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=ru&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Мещерский,_Иван_Всеволодович

No, I mean Tsiolkovskiy and his version of cosmism, quite exotic even for early XX.

Edited by kerbiloid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.