Deployed ground solar panels as base power

Buzz light fear

Has anyone had the idea to to try and find a way to use these deployable panels as a method of providing power to bases on the the surface of say like duna.  If there is a mod to do this please direct me to it. Maybe i am overthinking it and if not could someone try to do this i would absolutely get that mod. Or if lots of people want this i might make a poll.

OX-Stat-PD.png----------------------->File:Z-100.png

Edited by Buzz light fear
grammar

The surface experiment stuff doesn't produce or use Ec like the rest of the parts in KSP.   It might be possible to patch the part to produce regular Ec also, but there is no method (that I'm aware of) to attach it to a base. 

I agree it would be pretty neat - have an array of these set up next to a base rather than solar panels sticking out at whatever odd angles you can make them fit - but I'm not sure it's possible.

EDIT:  I had a thought - there is a mod out there that allows resource sharing between unattached parts within a certain range.  A simple MM patch could probably make these produce regular power, and maybe that mod could allow it to be shared.  But I can't think of the mod name right now. Found it:

Edited by Cavscout74

20 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

EDIT:  I had a thought - there is a mod out there that allows resource sharing between unattached parts within a certain range.  A simple MM patch could probably make these produce regular power, and maybe that mod could allow it to be shared.  But I can't think of the mod name right now. Found it:

let me check to see if the BG part would work... or might need a mm-patch.

I am out the door and haven't had time to test these yet - but they should be 96.3% solid. These are experimental - and should not be used on live saves. Just started game to see if MM complained, it didn't (no DeployableBatteries installed).

To test - suggest making a file system copy of your save game and trying it on that first.

I used Mini-NUK-PD Radioisotope Thermoelectric (stock) and  OX-STAT Photovoltaic Panels (stock)  to model off of, just reduced production to account for use in its normal situation (powering deployed science) and scale. Am open to adjusting SImpleLogistics provided patch as long as it keeps stock balance (to a degree).

Also added in ModuleCoreHeat and radiatorMax for the rtg (only seemed fair)

DeployableBatteries.cfg

Spoiler

// DeployableBatteries.cfg v1.0.0.0
// SimpleLogistics
// created: 2020 02 19
// updated: 2020 02 19

// thank you to  @Buzz light fear, @Cavscout74 for the idea!

@PART[DB_battery_B100,DB_battery_B200,DB_battery_B400]:NEEDS[DeployableBatteries,SimpleLogistics,!MODULE[LogisticsModule]]:AFTER[SimpleLogistics]
{
	// @description:NEEDS[SimpleLogistics] ^= :(.)$:$0\n<#6495ED>Simple Logistics Enabled. </color>:
	// @tags ^:$: simple logistics:

// Module Command
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCommand
		minimumCrew = 0
		hasHibernation = true
		hibernation = true
		hibernateOnWarp = true
		hibernationMultiplier = 0.00125
		defaultControlPointDisplayName = #autoLOC_6011003 //#autoLOC_6011003 = Default
		RESOURCE
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			rate = 0.0001
		}
	}

%MODULE[LogisticsModule] {}
}

// DeployedSolarPanel
@PART[DeployedSolarPanel]:NEEDS[SquadExpansion/Serenity,SimpleLogistics,DeployableBatteries]:AFTER[SimpleLogistics]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleDeployableBattery // ModuleGroundSciencePart	
		power = ElectricCharge
		maxPowerUnitsFlow = 1
		powerUnitsProduced = 1
		powerUnitsRequired = 0
		placementAllowXRotation = false
		placementAllowZRotation = false
	}
}

// DeployedRTG
@PART[DeployedRTG]:NEEDS[SquadExpansion/Serenity,SimpleLogistics,DeployableBatteries]:AFTER[SimpleLogistics]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleDeployableBattery // ModuleGroundSciencePart	
		power = ElectricCharge
		maxPowerUnitsFlow = 1
		powerUnitsProduced = 1
		powerUnitsRequired = 0
		placementAllowXRotation = false
		placementAllowZRotation = false
	}
}
// CC BY-NC-SA-4.0
// zer0Kerbal

DeployableScience.cfg

Spoiler

// DeployableScience.cfg v1.0.0.0
// SimpleLogistics
// created: 2020 02 19
// updated: 2020 02 19

// thank you to  @Buzz light fear, @Cavscout74 for the idea!

// DeployedSolarPanel
@PART[DeployedSolarPanel]:NEEDS[SquadExpansion/Serenity,SimpleLogistics]:AFTER[SimpleLogistics]
{
	@description:NEEDS[SimpleLogistics] ^= :(.)$:$0\n<#6495ED>Simple Logistics Enabled. </color>:

// Module Command
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCommand
		minimumCrew = 0
		hasHibernation = true
		hibernation = true
		hibernateOnWarp = true
		RESOURCE
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			rate = 0.0001
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleDeployableSolarPanel
		isTracking = false
		secondaryTransformName = suncatcher
		pivotName = suncatcher
		isBreakable = false
		resourceName = ElectricCharge
		chargeRate = 0.15
		extendActionName = #autoLOC_6001805 //#autoLOC_6001805 = Extend <<1>>
		retractActionName = #autoLOC_6001806 //#autoLOC_6001806 = Retract <<1>>
		extendpanelsActionName = #autoLOC_6001807 //#autoLOC_6001807 = Toggle <<1>>
	}
// ElectricCharge
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		amount = 25
		maxAmount = 50
	}

}

// DeployedRTG
@PART[DeployedRTG]:NEEDS[SquadExpansion/Serenity,SimpleLogistics]:AFTER[SimpleLogistics]
{
	@description:NEEDS[SimpleLogistics] ^= :(.)$:$0\n<#6495ED>Simple Logistics Enabled. </color>:

radiatorMax = 1.5

// Module Command
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCommand
		minimumCrew = 0
		hasHibernation = true
		hibernation = true
		hibernateOnWarp = true
		RESOURCE
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			rate = 0.0001
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleGenerator
		isAlwaysActive = true
		OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			rate = 0.5
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCoreHeat
		CoreTempGoal = 350					//Internal temp goal - we don't transfer till we hit this point
		CoreToPartRatio = 0.1				//Scale back cooling if the part is this % of core temp
		CoreTempGoalAdjustment = 0			//Dynamic goal adjustment
		CoreEnergyMultiplier = 0.01			//What percentage of our core energy do we transfer to the part
		HeatRadiantMultiplier = 0.01			//If the core is hotter, how much heat radiates?
		CoolingRadiantMultiplier = 0		//If the core is colder, how much radiates?
		HeatTransferMultiplier = 0			//If the part is hotter, how much heat transfers in?
		CoolantTransferMultiplier = 0		//If the part is colder, how much of our energy can we transfer?
		radiatorCoolingFactor = 0			//How much energy we pull from core with an active radiator?  >= 1
		radiatorHeatingFactor = 0			//How much energy we push to the active radiator
		MaxCalculationWarp = 1000			//Based on how dramatic the changes are, this is the max rate of change
		CoreShutdownTemp = 10000			//At what core temperature do we shut down all generators on this part?
		MaxCoolant = 0						//Maximum amount of radiator capacity we can consume - 2500 = 1 small
		PassiveEnergy
		{
			key = 0 25000
			key = 200 10000
			key = 250 50
			key = 300 25
			key = 350 0
		}
	}

// ElectricCharge
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		amount = 25
		maxAmount = 50
	}
}
// CC BY-NC-SA-4.0
// zer0Kerbal

Edited by zer0Kerbal

I tried it in my test game and the solar panels/RTG are recognized in SimpleLogistics, but I couldn''t get any power to the rover I was using.   Recovered everything and launched two different rovers, one with solar panels to be a charging station and the second the same rover as the first test - worked great.  Had my engineer grab two solar panels out of the second rover & set them up like the first time.  Had the power rover retract its solar panels - so the only active panels would be the deployed ones.  Switched back to the second rover and .....  everything was working, batteries were charging off the deployed solar panels. 

One thing to note - the panels have to be deployed AFTER adding the mod & patch.  I had a small deployed science setup already down and they did nothing.  I recovered all of them and then deployed the new panels, but perhaps they were causing some conflict in the first test

Without.

I'm pretty sure the preexisting deployed parts somehow interfered with SimpleLogistics, because a third test worked just fine as well.

EDIT:  Actually, I take back everything I said - I forgot the power rover had an RTG in addition to solar panels, so I can't say if the deployed panels were working or not.  And I'm just finishing loading my career save and don't really feel like going back to check again.  I'm not saying they aren't working, just that my test was flawed

Edited by Cavscout74

am happy. and pleasantly surprised - was expecting more... issues. :o    :p

you didn't have to do anything else? hmmm B)

5 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

Without.

I'm pretty sure the preexisting deployed parts somehow interfered with SimpleLogistics, because a third test worked just fine as well.

image.png

caveats

• have to manually plug-in to SimpleLogistics (will see if I can do something about that next major release of SimpleLogistics)
  • has to have a commandmodule - but it can be in hibernation (doublechecking)
  • had the rtg with both the generator AND the solar - found traces of hotPink hotGlue on module...

image.png

Edited by zer0Kerbal

@Buzz light fear, @Cavscout74

I have the first set of patches working well (at least in my limited testing)

• requires SimpleLogistics (very lightweight impact addon)
  • requires the patch (see above, will include in next release of SimpleLogistics)
  • Mini-NUK-PD Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator  (DeployedRTG)
    • .50 EC/s
    • produces heat like stock RTG
    • has a battery of 50 EC units
    • all the normal rules for RTG apply
  • OX-Stat-PD Photovoltaic Panel (DeployedSolarPanel)
    • produces .15 (max) EC/s
    • has a battery of 50 EC units
    • needs sunlight
    • all the normal rules for solar apply
  • range of inclusion in SimpleLogistic Network - currently ~2.4km, can always use relays
  • existing rtg/solarpanels might not work - might only be new ones only. (checking)
  • after deploying, must manually 'plug-in' to the SimpleLogistics network.
  • picking up and putting down again for existing parts seems to fix the patch (they 'respawn' from the master part, which is now patched'
  • there is a limitation, SimpleLogistics currently just averages out resources over the network. Future plans include being able to set a vessel to 'pump', 'store', 'suck' (priorities).

QUESTION?

1. have each deployable part have a commandModule (just in hibernation) so can use the PAW/RMB menu to plug-into the network? Can also use the SimpleLogistics pop-up to join.
  2. no commandModule on deployable parts, Can ONLY use the SimpleLogistics pop-up to plug-into network.

P.S.: I will be working on the deployableBattery version tomorrow. This patch is now on GitHub.

+1 :rep: Thank you for the idea for these patches. :D

Edited by zer0Kerbal

5 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

suggest this be moved to mod discussions since it is now in a mod and not just a suggestion @Geonovast

good point how does one do this action :blush:

I honestly didn't expect someone to just whip up a mod i am incredibly impressed

Edited by Buzz light fear

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.