Private Division's New Development Studio

St4rdust

Private Division has opened a new development studio solely focused on bringing Kerbal Space Program 2 to life and delivering the highest quality gaming experience to our community. 
The new studio includes key members from the original Kerbal Space Program 2 development team, including studio head Jeremy Ables, creative director Nate Simpson, and lead producer Nate Robinson. This new studio, dedicated solely to the ongoing development of Kerbal Space Program 2, reinforces our promise to take the KSP franchise to new cosmic heights.

In this sequel, Kerbonauts will encounter the game’s signature blend of comedy and innovation, and those who dare to explore will experience new levels of adventure and mystery.  
We look forward to sharing more with you very soon!

I am increasing uneasy about the state of KSP2 lol

so me a favour devs, whatever you do just really try to focus on enabling the modding community, providing good optimisation and really solid basic mechanics/physics. If you do that the community should be able to fix the rest.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, mattinoz said:

Why moment that in relation to a building move seems and odd place to say it.

Probably to alleviate the concerns that the most up to date assets won't be available in the game.

4 hours ago, mattinoz said:

Why moment that in relation to a building move seems and odd place to say it.

It's not a building move. They kicked out Star Theory, poached their studio lead and two other key people, and set up a new studio.

1 hour ago, shdwlrd said:

Probably to alleviate the concerns that the most up to date assets won't be available in the game.

Oh that would be good. Robotics confirmed then >,< 

On 2/20/2020 at 6:03 PM, St4rdust said:

In this sequel, Kerbonauts will encounter the game’s signature blend of comedy and innovation,

God I hope not - I've seen 100001 games ruined by edgy attempts to be funny to get more sales from the kids.  When it comes to writing KSP didn't even bothered to have unique descriptions of science experiments for each biome . There are so many generic copy/paste it's just sad.

It is good to hear that some of the original developers have returned. Good luck to the development team.

Edited by General Apocalypse

I wouldn't read too much in that article it seems to me that they had access to the same media statement from private division that we have and they build the article from that.

That "next year" could just be their interpretation of "FY2021" and they missed the fourth person from star theory that wasn't in the press release but was in the video, as Shadowzone stated in his video.

14 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

I wouldn't make that assumption. 

Sorry too late. Robotics 100% confirmed! Don’t back out on me now @_@

Edited by Guest

On 2/23/2020 at 10:55 AM, Spektar said:

Does this mean the release of KSP2 is even further away?

Yes and no... Star Theory had hinted that KSP2 might be released sometime after March/April 2020... but not how much after.  The latest hint is perhaps we'll see it within 12 months... or not.

On 2/22/2020 at 5:40 AM, mattinoz said:

"we also now have full direct access to the assets of KSP1"

Just a wild guess here... but it was noticeable in Star Theory's cinematic that the parts were older than the then current KSP1 parts (aka assets, in part, erm...) perhaps all the lovely revamped KSP1 parts weren't licenced to Star Theory????

5 hours ago, Vexillar said:

Yes and no... Star Theory had hinted that KSP2 might be released sometime after March/April 2020... but not how much after.  The latest hint is perhaps we'll see it within 12 months... or not.

Just a wild guess here... but it was noticeable in Star Theory's cinematic that the parts were older than the then current KSP1 parts (aka assets, in part, erm...) perhaps all the lovely revamped KSP1 parts weren't licenced to Star Theory????

Yes the cinematic looked very much like USI-KSP than Vanilla-KSP.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Kerballing (Got Dunked On) said:

Now, can someone explain what in the world this means? I've heard this about three times now and I have no clue what it is! (non-rocket scientist terms, please)

The shortest possible trajectory directly to another  planet. Because of the way gravity works, it isn't actually just a straight line from A to B.

1 hour ago, Kerballing (Got Dunked On) said:

Now, can someone explain what in the world this means? I've heard this about three times now and I have no clue what it is! (non-rocket scientist terms, please)

if you have a spaceship which has an engine capable of giving thrust constantly between point A and point B, you accelerate during the first half of the flight, then you flip around and decelerate during the second half.

The Brachistochrone trajectory is the one that will give you the shortest flight time between A and B given your acceleration and deceleration (and that will result in arriving at a correct speed at your target, and not simply fly by it :p)

those kind of rocket engines don't exist in real life (yet ?) :)

the spaceships in the series The Expanse are typically capable of this kind of trajectories :)

For a more down to earth application, you can check the animation on Wikipedia's page :) - the brachristochrone trajectory is longer than the straight line, but is quicker :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachistochrone_curve

Edited by sgt_flyer