Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 1 - Next Gen Tech

Next Gen Tech is a major feature of KSP 2. In this video, the development team goes in-depth on a number of the new engines that players will be able to utilize in KSP 2 including the nuclear pulse propulsion engine, metallic hydrogen engine, and more. This video is the first in a series of feature videos that will deep dive on the key new features of KSP 2 and the development process behind them.

Wow!  ...very cool. 

If Cat 3 "Interstellar Engines" top speed is "very very high"...

How fast is a "Very Late Game Cat 4 Holy-Grail Torch Ship Screaming White Death Engine" ??? 

@Master39 LOL, that sounds like my new warp 0.99 flagship right there!

Torchship (or torch ship) is a term used by Robert A. Heinlein in several of his science fiction novels and short stories to describe fictional rocket ships that can maintain high accelerations indefinitely, thus approaching the speed of light. The term has subsequently been used by other authors to describe similar kinds of fictional spaceships.

Edited by XLjedi

I've just finished watching this video cackling with glee while doing so. My wife said, "you sound really happy, what's up?". I reply, "there's going to be brachistochrone trajectories in KSP2!" "What on Earth, or rather on Kerbol (my wife follows my interest) is that?" she responds. So I explained. I'm one happy bunny.

The mining/fuel plant/colony direction suits my play style.  KSP 1 has taught me a lot about spaceflight and physics.  KSP 2 really looks to be expanding into new science.  I wonder if the science gathering aspect of the game is going to be expanded significantly too?

Reminds me very much of how I fly spaceships in Elite Dangerous.  Top speed is simply a function of distance; further the star, the faster you go.

Edited by XLjedi

Quick run through what I found

Pol, probably?

Spoiler

LaaY8gF.png

New planet?

Spoiler

3YYkkB8.jpg

The plume, holy cow

Spoiler

hV4F67D.jpg

Another new planet? it has a moon!

Spoiler

j9y6reb.jpg

EusfVyj.jpg

Kerbin in full glory. Also, clouds!

Spoiler

C1GvpZQ.jpg

"PlanetShine"

Spoiler

KUGF0Cg.jpg

Was this planet shown before?

Spoiler

7CcOEIC.jpg

And the most important thing.
EXPLOSIONS!

Spoiler

4bnSZ3u.jpg

I literally just saw this.

Before, I thought KSP 2 would be rubbish.

I was wrong, very very wrong...

I just can't wait to see this high tech "torch rider" thingy-ma-jig

8 minutes ago, Legolover said:

I literally just saw this.

Before, I thought KSP 2 would be rubbish.

I was wrong, very very wrong...

I just can't wait to see this high tech "torch rider" thingy-ma-jig

why would it be ever be "rubbish"?WS!!!!?!??!?1!/1!/!1/1?11!?#!E/r?!?1!?11?1!?/ :wacko:

Edited by Dirkidirk

I'm watching developments with cautious optimism, but for me the little details will "make-or-break" the game. Will the easter-eggs from the original game be preserved? Will the early tech tree somewhat resemble the current tech tree layout in KSP? Will kerbnet be a significant game-play mechanic?

I want KSP 2 to carry echoes of the original game. I want it to incorporate the minute features that made KSP such a special game for me.

The fact that clouds now being essentially confirmed beyond doubt is only sparsely talked about is shocking to me.

I mean... WE HAVE CLOUDS NOW!

EVERYBODY STOP

at 7:10 the guy talks about becoming a multi PLANET species, not interstellar does this mean the will only be the kerbol system but expanded or did he just mis speak?

Just now, zeilden said:

EVERYBODY STOP

at 7:10 the guy talks about becoming a multi PLANET species, not interstellar does this mean the will only be the kerbol system but expanded or did he just mis speak?

Neither, you just misinterpreted it. 

Just now, zeilden said:

EVERYBODY STOP

No.

Everybody can go, again...

Just now, MechBFP said:

Neither, you just misinterpreted it. 

oh sorry i just watch some game theory so my mind is in that way of thinking

4 hours ago, MechBFP said:

It’s no longer Star Theory apparently. Check the other news post. No name for the new dev group yet it seems.

It is and it isn’t. Googling around seems to suggest that as per February 2020 it’s just “Private Division.” Makes this video, in connection with PAX 2020 and the fact that PD will be there, all the more interesting.

I stumbled upon this vid on YouTube by accident... and i instantly loved what i saw, so i headed over to the forums to leave my like. Thank you very much for the infos. And hey... i saw clouds!!! :)

An extensive, but off-topic debate about the ostensible realism or not of a specific feature announced in KSP 2 has been split off into another thread which is specifically for discussing the metallic hydrogen topic.

Please confine comments regarding the realism of the metallic hydrogen drive to this thread.

Thank you for your understanding,
KSP Moderation Team