KSP 2 Features: Episode 1: Next Gen Tech (OFFICIAL RELEASE, FEB 20 / 2020)

nepphhh

I really, really hope a basic difficulty tech tree in KSP2 forces you to really explore the Kerbol System with "existing" tech before rapidly jumping to Orion and other exotic propulsion systems.

KSP 1's tech tree, if difficulty is untouched, can actually be completed without even leaving Kerbin's SOI.

Edited by Lijazos

12 minutes ago, Master39 said:

3.27 "From the standard KSP 1 metalox engines"

Apparently "liquid fuel" is canonically Methane

Kerbalism called it. :) Though I'd love to see them go into more details on chemical fuel, as well. I'm now a bit concerned that with all this fancy new tech, chemical rockets will fall by wayside and not improve much, aside from looks. 

Funnily enough, their torch drive is probably more plausible than their much-hyped MetH2 engines. This thing has caught my eye as a possible torchship candidate:
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist3.php#fszpinch

This is pretty much a real-life Epstein drive. Ridiculously powerful direct-drive continuous fusion rocket.

Edited by Guest

All my experience from seeing torch engines in fiction before says 'moving planets'.

I'm not sure if that's what'll be added in KSP 2, but the thought that it might be there is interesting... I doubt it as that probably means they'd have to deal with planet collisions as well.

The explosion animations look good, definitely looks like they'll add more immersion.

2 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

Funnily enough, their torch drive is probably more plausible than their much-hyped MetH2 engines.

Apparently the metallic hydrogen will be part of the gameplay loop, they talked about factories of the stuff as a reason to build colonies.

Now they are talking about Methalox specifically instead of a generic "Liquid Fuel" obtainable from the "Ore" that you can find everywhere, probably they choose metallic hydrogen during  that process of explaining fuel refinement and production now that's a big part of the gameplay loop instead of having a mere universal "IRSU module".

30 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

Kerbalism called it. :) Though I'd love to see them go into more details on chemical fuel, as well. I'm now a bit concerned that with all this fancy new tech, chemical rockets will fall by wayside and not improve much, aside from looks. 

Funnily enough, their torch drive is probably more plausible than their much-hyped MetH2 engines. This thing has caught my eye as a possible torchship candidate:
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist3.php#fszpinch

This is pretty much a real-life Epstein drive. Ridiculously powerful direct-drive continuous fusion rocket.

Yes that one looks very nice. 
And you can always stack engines starship first stage style. 

That engine also looks like an nice fusion power plant. 

I think that chemical will still be needed to take off on Kerbin and other planets and moons with decent gravity and oxygen in the atmosphere has obvious benefits. 

10 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I like the jump ramp they made

KSP racing will be a thing!

True, loops and probably runs on low gravity bodies like Minmus, Gilly or even perhaps in orbit. 
One rule, gone go fast or you loose the tire grip. 

This next gen future tech is what I am looking forward to the least about this game.  I'm totally not interested in Orion drives and science fiction.  I just want a KSP 1 to not look like it is a decade old. 

7 minutes ago, klesh said:

This next gen future tech is what I am looking forward to the least about this game.  I'm totally not interested in Orion drives and science fiction.  I just want a KSP 1 to not look like it is a decade old. 

You are nearly alone in that, I'm afraid. hyyyyyype

Edited by ElJugador

1 minute ago, ElJugador said:

You are nearly alone in that, I'm afraid.

Who cares?  Its a good thing I don't validate my opinions by comparing with those who feel the same way.  I'm far too old for hyyyyyyyyyyype from a videogame, lol.

22 minutes ago, klesh said:

Who cares?  Its a good thing I don't validate my opinions by comparing with those who feel the same way.  I'm far too old for hyyyyyyyyyyype from a videogame, lol.

I'm just pointing out that, well, you are likely to be very alone in your concern. Who cares, indeed? I certainly don't.

Moving on: I'm mostly disappointed they spent most of the video's runtime talking about metallic hydrogen and giving other engine types short shrift. Torchdrives especially deserved better than a throwaway line.

Edited by ElJugador