A Set of Mods for a Complete KSP Experience

linuxgurugamer

This is the beginning of a project I'm working on, what could be considered a "modpack", although the only bundling I'll be doing will be a .ckan file.  Understand that this is my vision, and your ideas, while welcome for discussion, may not appeal to me.  In fact, I'd love to see other people do the same thing.

This OP will be continuously edited until complete.  I will also engage in discussions in the thread as appropriate.

So, some ground rules to start:

I'm going to try hard to keep the number of mods lower than my normal install, which is usually more than 200.

While nothing is going to be dependent on any DLC, both DLC packages will be fine.

So, to start, here are some initial mods for the pack.  This first set of mods mostly ignores parts, and is concentrated on Quality of Life, Playability, Visuals and Audio:

Base Mods (not mods for bases)

Spoiler
  1. Advanced Fly-By-Wire 
  2. AECS_Motion_Suppressor 
  3. All Y'All 
  4. Antenna Helper 
  5. AnyRes Continued
  6. AtmosphereAutopilot 
  7. AttitudeAdjuster 
  8. AutoAGL 
  9. Better SR Bs 
  10. BetterBurnTime 
  11. Blizzy's Toolbar (Toolbar Continued in CKAN)
  12. Camera Focus Changer 
  13. Chatterer 
  14. Chatterer Extended 
  15. Click Through Blocker
  16. Community Delta-V Maps 
  17. Community Resource Pack 
  18. Contracts Window + 
  19. Craft Manager 
  20. Crew R&R 
  21. Destruction Effects 
  22. Distant Object Enhancement Continued 
  23. Distant Object Enhancement Continued default config 
  24. Dock Rotate 
  25. Docking Port Alignment Indicator 
  26. Docking Port Descriptions 
  27. Docking Port Sound FX 
  28. Draggable Altimeter 
  29. Draggable Navball 
  30. Earn Your Stripes! 
  31. Editor Extensions Redux
  32. Extended information about scientific experiments in VAB 
  33. Field Training Facility 
  34. Fill It Up 
  35. Filter Extensions w/default config
  36. Hangar Extender 
  37. Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes 
  38. Image Viewer Continued 
  39. Improved and Updated Chase Camera 
  40. Janitor's Closet
  41. JDiminishingRTG 
  42. Jet Sounds Continued (must use compatibility mode in CKAN for 1.4.5)
  43. Kerbal Alarm Clock 
  44. Kerbal Changelog 
  45. Kerbal Construction Time 
  46. Kerbal Engineer Redux 
  47. Kerbal Inventory System 
  48. Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - Next 
  49. Kerbal NRAP - Procedural Test Weights 
  50. MADLAD 
  51. MechJeb 2 
  52. Modular Segmented SRBs 
  53. Module Manager
  54. Navball Docking Alignment Indicator
  55. NavHud
  56. PlanetShine 
  57. PlanetShine - Default configuration 
  58. Portrait Stats 
  59. QuickHide 
  60. QuickSearch
  61. QuickStart
  62. RCS Build Aid Continued 
  63. Real Plume 
  64. Real Plume - Stock Configs 
  65. ReStock 
  66. ReStock+ 
  67. SafeChute 
  68. SCANsat 
  69. scatterer 
  70. Scatterer Default Config
  71. Ship Effects Continued
  72. Smart Parts 
  73. Space Age 
  74. Store My Reports 
  75. Tarsier Space Technology with Galaxies Continued... 
  76. Toolbar Controller
  77. TooManyOrbits 
  78. Training Laboratory 
  79. TrimIndicators 
  80. TRP-Hire 
  81. VABReorienter 
  82. WASD Editor Camera Continued
  83. Waypoint Manager
  84. Where Can I Go 
  85. ZeroMiniAVC

Recommended mods (not necessary, but extremely useful):

Spoiler
  1. Decoupler Shroud
  2. KRASH - Kerbal Ramification Artifical Simulation Hub 
  3. KSP AVC 
  4. Launch Escape System 
  5. Navball Docking Alignment Indicator CE-2 
  6. StageRecovery 
  7. Strategia 
  8. TAC Fuel Balancer 

In terms of parts mods, I'll be looking for the following:

1. Aircraft parts.  This includes propeller as well as jet engines
  2. Fuel Tanks.  This includes both aircraft as well as rocket tanks, not necessarily in the same mod
  3. Rocket engines.
  4. Colonization.  Civilian Population comes to mind, but I am aware of some others as well
  5. Launch pads, as in EPL, etc.  While AlphaMensae's Modular Launch Pads is an absolutely stunning mod, they don't add functionality, so they might end up in the optional extras
  6. Construction.  This includes things like Kerbal Construction Time, OSE Workshop, etc 
  7. Manufacturing

For all parts mods, I'll be looking for good to excellent detailing, good to excellent effects and a nice range of options.  There should be more than one way to do anything, which does imply there there will be some duplication of mods/parts, but not to excess.  My example earlier may actually be doable, but I would want to avoid more than two or three of the same kind of parts mods.

It would be very useful if, when suggesting or discussing a specific mod, that a link to it is provided.

That should be enough to get a discussion going.  

Edit: 3/1/2020

Exploration & Colonization (rovers, bases, etc)

I'm adding a "Gentle Suggestions" section, for things that various people think would add in one way or another to the experience.

Gentle Suggestions (mods which can be useful, but not necessary)

Per @pmborg's suggestion, I will be revamping this into several categories.  Initially I'll start with the following, but this can and will change if needed:

1.  Simulation of Life Support / Realism
  2.  Better Visual Effects ( scatter, BLO and so on )
  3.  Parts & More Technology (engines, tanks, drills and so on)
  4.  Optional's (quick search this and that for example)
  5. Planet packs, (Like real Exo planets and Real Solar System or even Real Solar System with Stock)
Edited by linuxgurugamer

I always wondered why modpacks never took off with KSP. It would be cool in CKAN if you could select someone's modpack and it downloaded all the mods and any extra patches the ModPack author has made for them to work together. I do hope this takes off. As it could bring in vastly different play styles.

I always enjoy the Near Future parts and its hard not to recommend them.

10 minutes ago, Barar said:

I always wondered why modpacks never took off with KSP. It would be cool in CKAN if you could select someone's modpack and it downloaded all the mods and any extra patches the ModPack author has made for them to work together. I do hope this takes off. As it could bring in vastly different play styles.

CKAN supports modpacks via ckan files.  It's part of the way I'm going to make this available, eventually

For part mods: I'd recommend Kerbal Planetary Base Systems as a colonization mod.  It also has parts for EL.

It's also a colonization mod that just adds parts - it doesn't impose mechanics like MKS, Pathfinder, or even Civilian Population.  (Though it supports the mechanics of nearly all the life support and colonization makeover mods out there.)

I'd also recommend Nils277's rover as well, for similar reasons: It's a rover that provides wide support, but doesn't require any particular set of LS or colonization mechanics:

Though I will admit rovers aren't super useful in stock KSP.  I use Bon Voyage extensively which makes rovers much more useful and easy to use - but I'm not sure what your stance in this pack would be on the auto-drive that it has.

For orbital colonization, I'd recommend Near Future Construction and Stockalike Station Parts by Nertea, but the license on the art doesn't meet your requirements.

On 2/23/2020 at 11:18 AM, DStaal said:

It's also a colonization mod that just adds parts - it doesn't impose mechanics like MKS, Pathfinder, or even Civilian Population.  (Though it supports the mechanics of nearly all the life support and colonization makeover mods out there.)

Good point about CP, although it also supports most LS mods.  

On 2/24/2020 at 8:06 AM, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

What about tweakscale and all tweak

None of the tweakable mods do a great job of balance.  I may put them in a “gentle suggesti9ns”, but not as a core mod

1 hour ago, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

Okay

And thank you for the suggestion

On 2/21/2020 at 4:17 PM, Barar said:

Except that unfortunately, the license on the assets is ARR.  I agree, they are fantastic parts

Hello @linuxgurugamer,

This is a great idea, actually I do it all the time I have mine in on:

Please note that "Camera Focus Changer" is now stock but is disabled by default.

I have have a lot of fans from my InterStellar Ship records and also to my SpaceShips that are always asking for a fast way to read them.

I also do this kind of lists, I think that should be divided in 5 categories:

3.  More Technology (engines, tanks, drills and so on)
  5. Planet packs, (Like real Exo planets and Real Solar System or even Real Solar System with Stock)

and then a 2 set's for faster computers (and experimental computers with more than 5Ghz and so on ...) and slow/normal computers for example:

1,2,3,4,5 (Full pack)

and just 1 and 3 (Short pack)

The list need to be carefully selected, because there are some mods that are incompatible, besides not mentioned in CKAN.

Edited by pmborg

16 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Is that new for 1.9?

No, this is on 1.7.3 at least.

If you go to Settings / General (Activate: [  ] Advanced Tweakables)

Then click on a part and select "Aim Camera"

FUrZENG.png

Edited by pmborg

• 4 weeks later...

Couple of things I've noted while using your mod listing.

1. Blizzy's Toolbar is now Toolbar Continued in CKAN.

2. Jet Sounds Continued appears to be a KSP 1.4.5 mod -- so users will need to add that to the CKAN KSP version dialog.

Just noting my experiences when installing -- hope it helps!

EVE might be a good addition  to the list as well.

Edited by WarderKeeju

On 3/1/2020 at 9:43 AM, pmborg said:

No, this is on 1.7.3 at least.

If you go to Settings / General (Activate: [  ] Advanced Tweakables)

Then click on a part and select "Aim Camera"

Ok, but the mod makes it super easy to use, just hover the mouse and hit the letter 'o', and to release,  put the mouse over nothing and hit 'o' again

On 3/1/2020 at 9:29 AM, pmborg said:

I have have a lot of fans from my InterStellar Ship records and also to my SpaceShips that are always asking for a fast way to read them.

???  Not sure what you mean

I think that should be divided in 5 categories:

A modest grouping makes sense, I'll be doing something like this soon. 

and then a 2 set's for faster computers (and experimental computers with more than 5Ghz and so on ...) and slow/normal computers for example:

1,2,3,4,5 (Full pack)

and just 1 and 3 (Short pack)

This makes it too complicated.  I don't' mind doing a grouping as above, but that would be simply to help organize it.  But I'm not going down the path of different versions for different performant computer.  And my "normal" computer is someone else's "fast", etc.  

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

???  Not sure what you mean

A modest grouping makes sense, I'll be doing something like this soon. 

This makes it too complicated.  I don't' mind doing a grouping as above, but that would be simply to help organize it.  But I'm not going down the path of different versions for different performant computer.  And my "normal" computer is someone else's "fast", etc.  

Hello @linuxgurugamer

"???  Not sure what you mean"

This is regarding some air-crafts that I do and share in KerbalX, once they have a complex set of mods and not all install-able by CKAN, I also have some kind of set's receipts like this.

Sample: https://kerbalx.com/pmborg/Alfa18StellarShuttle-v5-9FxSpace2

"This makes it too complicated.  I don't' mind doing a grouping as above, but that would be simply to help organize it.  But I'm not going down the path of different versions for different performant computer.  And my "normal" computer is someone else's "fast", etc.  "

The Idea behind this is the following, have 2 versions, one with the full set of Visual Effects and Mod helpers for a full complete experinece and another just with the basics that allow the load of all crafts in general:

At green the mandatory ones to load the crafts.

And the for a better and complete experience "all" set, basically this can be done with 2 CKAN lists.

I can share my grouping if you think that this is helpful to understand my idea.

1 hour ago, pmborg said:

Hello @linuxgurugamer

"???  Not sure what you mean"

This is regarding some air-crafts that I do and share in KerbalX, once they have a complex set of mods and not all install-able by CKAN, I also have some kind of set's receipts like this.

Sample: https://kerbalx.com/pmborg/Alfa18StellarShuttle-v5-9FxSpace2

"This makes it too complicated.  I don't' mind doing a grouping as above, but that would be simply to help organize it.  But I'm not going down the path of different versions for different performant computer.  And my "normal" computer is someone else's "fast", etc.  "

The Idea behind this is the following, have 2 versions, one with the full set of Visual Effects and Mod helpers for a full complete experinece and another just with the basics that allow the load of all crafts in general:

At green the mandatory ones to load the crafts.

And the for a better and complete experience "all" set, basically this can be done with 2 CKAN lists.

I can share my grouping if you think that this is helpful to understand my idea.

I understand the what you are saying, but that's not the aim of this.  I don't want to have to worry about high end systems for this. Period.

And while it may be nice, I really don't worry about craft sharing.  That's not my aim.  This is for someone to play for themselves, once you get into craft sharing, there is a whole set of other issues which I don't want to deal with.

I'd hate to mention how often someone has sent me a craft for debugging purposes, saying "Oh, i removed all the unnecessary mods", and yet when I try to load it, there is more stuff they missed.  

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'd hate to mention how often someone has sent me a craft for debugging purposes, saying "Oh, i removed all the unnecessary mods", and yet when I try to load it, there is more stuff they missed.  

The best tool that I know and use it for that, is the "Craft Manager" will list the mod names that are missing, even before load it, helps a lot a shorten the time needed to load/find mods for a random/downloaded craft.

4 minutes ago, pmborg said:

The best tool that I know and use it for that, is the "Craft Manager" will list the mod names that are missing, even before load it, helps a lot a shorten the time needed to load/find mods for a random/downloaded craft.

Not my concern for this thread.  Not arguing with you, you have good points, just saying that the subject of craft sharing is not my concern for this topic

This is a great idea!  I will try to support this selection with the Engineering Tech Tree.  I only have 3 categories of parts left to sort out.  Cryo Engines, Sustainer Engines and Monoprop parts.  Then decide on the total tech "worth" of the tree (if you add up all the tech nodes, how much does it cost to buy the entire tree).  

I believe there is a utility out there that looks at your install/save game and figures out how much science is left to discover.  May use that with what is suggested here to set a decent tech tree worth.  Problem is, labs tend to skew the values.

21 minutes ago, Probus said:

I believe there is a utility out there that looks at your install/save game and figures out how much science is left to discover.  May use that with what is suggested here to set a decent tech tree worth.  Problem is, labs tend to skew the values

I'd  like to know what it is, if you can find it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.