Is there a fix for the 4K resolution reset?

I looked it up and this problem seems to crop up since KSP 1.4 or thereabouts.  Where the game will constantly go back to 3840x2160 if the computer's desktop resolution is at that resolution, no matter how many times you ask it to switch to something else.  It's been brought up several times, but I can never find if a fix was ever created.  I found some stuff about using compatibility mode, but mine is greyed out (possibly because my KSP install is not on my boot drive?)

Is there still no proper way of fixing this?  It feels like it's getting worse.  I'll go into settings to fix it, go back into the game and it immediately switches back to 4K.  Sometimes it will be OK for an hour, sometimes it switches back right away.  Isn't there something in the Nvidia control pannel where you can tell it "Hey for this specific app, force it to only be able to load 1920x1080"?

wy3u0aV.png

Edited by PTNLemay

i am on linux system but what you could do is to launch the game from main executable -like you seem to be doing- but before that find "settings.cfg" from your main game folder -just browse down-, and open it in some text editor, find the following lines and change them to your desired/current system values... If you do not wish to run full screen but some weird resolution then just change the settings-file also from fullscreen into windowed. You can play and find out how changes change what by just copying the settings.cfg into another location, launch game or launcher and change options before closing the executable and comparing original and the now changed file.
"
SCREEN_RESOLUTION_WIDTH = 640
SCREEN_RESOLUTION_HEIGHT = 480
"
   Find those lines -without the values, since you wont find them- and change manually them into what you would like, save the file and run the game with these new values... enjoy

I can not say if Windows tries to force system resolution into runtime but hopefully it does not

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2020 at 9:15 AM, securityinstruts said:

i am on linux system but what you could do is to launch the game from main executable -like you seem to be doing- but before that find "settings.cfg" from your main game folder -just browse down-, and open it in some text editor, find the following lines and change them to your desired/current system values... If you do not wish to run full screen but some weird resolution then just change the settings-file also from fullscreen into windowed. You can play and find out how changes change what by just copying the settings.cfg into another location, launch game or launcher and change options before closing the executable and comparing original and the now changed file.
"
SCREEN_RESOLUTION_WIDTH = 640
SCREEN_RESOLUTION_HEIGHT = 480
"
   Find those lines -without the values, since you wont find them- and change manually them into what you would like, save the file and run the game with these new values... enjoy

I can not say if Windows tries to force system resolution into runtime but hopefully it does not

The part I have highlighted is exactly the problem for most people.  The game starts fine but after random periods of play suddenly gets kicked into 4K.  Very frustrating.

Not a fix, but the only time I've had KSP reset resolution is if I click the mouse or tap a key while the game is either in a load screen or otherwise hanging while it's doing something.  If I'm very careful about not doing that, it never resets on me.  There also was a mod (AnyRes or something like that IIRC) that allowed you to change resolution without going back to the main menu. 

I have this exact same issue and its really starting to p*** me off. I have gone through everything, from thinking i had malware on my PC, corrupted registry entries, RAM issues, conflicts with GeForce Experience, Mod issues, BIOS issues, corrupted installs, ... you name it i've tried resolving this issue. Glad to see that it is an ACTUAL KSP issue, although as of a week ago, it never happened. I know when its going to go t**s up because i get one of those spinning not responding circles come up. Sometimes during first boot up, sometimes when loading my game save and sometimes when entering/exiting the VAB.

On 4/7/2020 at 3:32 AM, Cavscout74 said:

Not a fix, but the only time I've had KSP reset resolution is if I click the mouse or tap a key while the game is either in a load screen or otherwise hanging while it's doing something.  If I'm very careful about not doing that, it never resets on me.  There also was a mod (AnyRes or something like that IIRC) that allowed you to change resolution without going back to the main menu. 

I recently installed AnyRes "continued" and it works well.  It won't stop the occasional issue of resolution falling back to 4K (or whatever) but the mod then allows you to quickly and simply reset the resolution without having to back out to the main screen.  I've had to use it a couple of times in the last few days and it works.  Of course it would be better if KSP wasn't doing this but AnyRes is a sensible workaround to reduce frustration.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/170160-190-anyres-continued-change-your-screen-resolution-on-the-fly/

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2020 at 7:33 PM, si2504 said:

So for anyone else having this issue, first make sure all Windows updates are downloaded and installed. I updated windows 10 last night with update Windows 10 1903 and 1909, and the issue no longer happens.

I've been running 1909 for months - changed nothing for me.

5 hours ago, archiebald said:

I've been running 1909 for months - changed nothing for me.

yes so have i, but there was a cumulative update, KB something or other, and for a little while my issue was resolved. However it is back doing it again now and im now at a loss as to what causes it. i've literally tried everything short of re-installing windows, which i would do if i was 100% sure it would resolve the issue. Its just strange how its only started doing it over the last month or so.

4 hours ago, si2504 said:

yes so have i, but there was a cumulative update, KB something or other, and for a little while my issue was resolved. However it is back doing it again now and im now at a loss as to what causes it. i've literally tried everything short of re-installing windows, which i would do if i was 100% sure it would resolve the issue. Its just strange how its only started doing it over the last month or so.

I really wouldn't bother, this issue has been ongoing for a long time.  It used to liquid* me off terribly and I nearly gave up KSP but then I started reading how many other people are having the same issue so it is clearly something deep in KSP.  Currently, in my case I get this kick to 4K about once every 2-3 gaming sessions.

(*Edit - Just so people know, the highlighted word was not the original word I typed.  My word was referring to a bodily liquid.  Seems the board has a profanity filter set way too conservative.  Funny though. :D )

I have found the best workarounds to be;

1) Re-start KSP about once every 3-4 hours.  Years ago there were huge memory leaks in the game that would eventually make it lag or crash after a couple of hours.  Many were supposed to have been fixed but based on my experience, that is not the case.  This is only anecdotal but re-starting makes things feels much more snappy for a while.

2) Install the mod AnyRes. - It doesn't solve the problem but it removes a huge amount of the hassle of having to quit back to the main screen to get into settings to reset the graphics.  Having said that, if this happens once, then it is likely to happen again soon so something in the background is definitely amiss.  If it happens twice within 30 minutes I'll generally re-start the game while I take a coffee break.

AnyRes -

Edited by archiebald

• 8 months later...
On 4/6/2020 at 2:32 PM, Cavscout74 said:

I left KSP for quite a while but only just recently came back to it.  And then remembered I made this thread.  So... better late than never. 

I never noticed this, but Cavscout's comment is exactly right.  The resolution reset only appears to happen if you "bother" the game while it's doing something intensive like working in a loading screen.  I do sometimes fiddle with my mouse or keyboard while things load, leading to a reset.  If I go completely hands off during loading, the problem doesn't come up.  So thanks Cavscout.

13 hours ago, PTNLemay said:

I left KSP for quite a while but only just recently came back to it.  And then remembered I made this thread.  So... better late than never. 

I never noticed this, but Cavscout's comment is exactly right.  The resolution reset only appears to happen if you "bother" the game while it's doing something intensive like working in a loading screen.  I do sometimes fiddle with my mouse or keyboard while things load, leading to a reset.  If I go completely hands off during loading, the problem doesn't come up.  So thanks Cavscout.

It's rather amusing that you left KSP for a while & just came back, since I also was off doing other things and just last week starting playing a little KSP again.  Glad I could help

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.