KK's Airplane Autopilot V2

Kartoffelkuchen

3 hours ago, viscidpaladin said:

Out of interest did you get this to work with waypoint manager? and how

no.. saddly I actually dont play much... I just stumble around, pulling old mods apart, and trying to modify them... lol

When I posted about that, I probably had just had those other mods on my mind, and the use case I mentioned just popped out... i thought it might be something other users might be interested in, so i threw it out to the dev to consider...

I know *IF* i was actually playing and using kOS & KK AP, that would be functionality I would MOST definately like to make use of... vOv

• 3 weeks later...

Update v2.0 has released!

Many improvements have been made to the original autopilot. I've completely rewritten the GUI and simplified it, made many "under the hood" improvements, improved the landing abort triggers and added a HUD message explaining the reason for the abort and also added a "Go-Around" after a landing abort.

After the abort has been triggered, the plane will fly back to reattempt the landing at the same runway. To increase chances of a successful landing, the minspeed (aka landing speed) is being altered slightly, depending on the abort reason: If the abort was called because not enough runway was remaning and we couldn't brake in time, the landing speed is reduced slightly. If we were too low on the final approach, the speed is increased to improve the control authority of the rudders etc. However, if a landing abort has been called 2 times due to not enough runway remaining, the third abort call will be ignored.

4uQ0Ngo.png

Happy flyings!

DOWNLOAD

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

New Update soon with many improvements, giving you a very evolved & capable Autopilot System for fully autonomous flying of pretty much any aircraft.

Some Short Youtube Previews:

I've been working on this project for quite a long time now and I really like what I came up with. It is a very sophisticated software capable of fully autonomous flight, from takeoff to landing, for a broad variety of unique aircraft, while being able to handle multiple challenging situations.

Features:

• Capabe of flying a great variety of unique aircraft by self-tuning the PID-Controller gains to reduce oscillation while keeping full control of the aircraft
  • Varies stages of autonomy which can be coupled, from maintaining altitude, heading or speed to complex manuevers like takeoff, fully autonomous route flying and landing
  • Creating butter right in front of your eyes (seriously, watch the 2nd video)
  • Able to handle a (partial) engine failure (as seen in the video above) which induces a large amount of torque, making a safe landing very challenging
  • Monitoring of many parameters and able to call a landing abort if  (for example) the aircraft is not properly aligned and following the glideslope, missed the touchdown zone, is running out of runway because of high speeds etc. In case of an abort, the aircraft will Go-Around and reattempt on its own
  • Able to handle crosswinds (if mods are installed)

In my eyes, it is better than the average player is. Especially at smooth landings.  If it won't work on the first try just give it some more time to properly align (well if it doesn't work you'll actually have no control anyway since it will abort the landing on its own and try again with better parameters :P )

New version coming soon!

Edited by Kartoffelkuchen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So getting 0.68 seconds of lag on takeoff makes it pretty unusable with a biplane I built out of Firespitter parts, and it seems to break on high update-per-tick numbers. Any suggestions? Lowering authority doesn't really help much of anything as is.

EDIT: Found the problem. Other aircraft have 0.68 seconds of lag BRIEFLY on startup - but for some reason my Firespitter biplane keeps that 0.68 seconds. Probably some kind of staging issue, as I can hear the click repeated.

Edited by jediKatana

• 6 months later...

My problem so far most planes automatically land just fine but start swerving off the runway.   Disabling all steering seems to help but only a little.   

Also spacedock says mod needs an update to latest KSP but it is working.

I also would be nice to toggle take off aborting (I think you mentioned this earlier) and to avoid having to type "switch to 0. run auto307." every time if that's possible.

Edited by mcbmaestro

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm interesting in testing this AP, but i don't want to go thru the hassle of installing it and waiting 10 minutes for all my mods to load just to try it out (maybe on saturday if nobody answered by then), does anyone know if it has support for KerbinSide bases? and the added stock bases as of current version?

thanks in advance (it looks awesome anyway)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Big Problem here: I tried landing a Stearwing A300 multiple times and all results in failure to stabilize steering control of front landing gear. Aircraft config "Height parameter" has been suitably adjusted based off of values after typing in the command terminal "print alt:radar" (The rest of aircraft config values are defaulted). I tried with a smaller plane and bigger plane to see if scale tweaking the all landing gears would optimize stability but same outcome. I have installed the latest KK autopilot (1.10.1) running auto307 script and version 3.20 KOS.  Most of the auto landing is attempted on runway 27.

I have finally solved the issue of landing Stearwing A300. Adjust front landing gear to 0.3 friction and rear landing gears to 2.0 friction. In the Aircraft Config, Height adjusted to 5 and Min Speed to 90. I posted this to show others that 99% of steering problems after landing come from friction control. Another problem I've noticed (I'm not super sure) is clicking warp speed 4x and leaving it to automatically reduce to warp 1x during landing phase makes the plane undercorrect landing trejectory and forces it to abort. Oh and for those who want the script to run reverse thrust after landing, go to Custom Action Group 4 and click on engine and then there is an option to click thrust reverser. And for those who want the script to not use emergency brake, just find the action group that has landing gear brakes and click to remove it (I and Kartoff from the videos I've watched never really uses emergency brake during auto land).  

Edited by KingPengumon

• 1 month later...

Hello. I'm trying to run this amazing script using KSP 1.12.5 and latest kOS 1.4.0.0, but it doesn't want to start and displays this error. Any suggestions how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

3tBycLu.jpeg

Figured it out, just install previous version of kOS, the 1.3.2.0, and now all works like a charm.

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.