Min to Minmus; Lowest to Laythe (Low part count challenge)

Due to an ongoing strike in the "hammers and welders guild" over conditions in the SPH/VAB (something about trucks constantly driving in a reckless manner through the workshop, apparently), the KSC has called for mission proposals which requires the fewest number of parts to be joined together.

Two missions are planned: to Minmus, and Laythe. Both must be manned by at least one Kerbal, and both require surface samples (or in the case of Laythe a proven ocean sample may be substituted if desired) to be returned to the lab for testing. You are invited to submit your simulated mission results for one/both targets.

Rules:

Stock (+DLC) only parts please

No physics abuse (including ladder/Kraken/drain valve drives) or excessive part clipping

Mission must deliver a Kerbal from Kerbin to the target surface and back to Kerbin

Number of parts is as defined in the VAB

There will be a leaderboard for each mission, ranked by number of parts used. In case of ties, the lowest (launch) mass solution will take precedence.

Per the official requirements for submitting, here is where a minimum of 42 parts has already been proven...

Edited by dnbattley
clarification

Hey, @dnbattley. Long time no talk.

I'd like to enter my Mun Hopper Mk. II SSTO into your challenge. I may have a higher part count than most future entries (72 parts), but it has proven itself reliable time and time again. 

• Once in LKO, it can easily land on the Mun to refuel. If it can do that, then Minmus is a cakewalk.
    • It takes more delta-V (and thrust) to land on the Mun from LKO than Minmus.
  • It can then make a refueling stop on Ike before making a direct burn from Duna to Jool.
  • After a refueling stop on Pol, all you have to do is make your burn to Laythe and then you're there.
  • When you want to return, just fly to Pol to refuel. If you time your burn right, it should be a straight shot home.

Spoiler

VvC1I9w.png

• The plane on the Mun for a test run

I know the challenge said that I needed to land on Minmus to get a surface sample, but this picture should prove that it is able to. Plus, I didn't take any pictures of this model on Minmus. You'll just have to take my word for it this time.

RlB7ltI.png

• The model's predecessor (no significant changes in design, though) taking off from a refueling stop on Ike.

6KYx8QK.png

• High orbit over Duna after refueling.

ugSK2ry.png

• After the direct burn to Jool, I established an elliptical parking orbit and flew to Pol to refuel before going to Laythe.
    • Don't worry, this is the model being entered.

ExlNHI4.png

• Flying over Laythe.

i4Psuhh.png

• Neptune V crew standing in front of their plane, ready to head back home.
  • Lisa Kerman (right) has a surface sample.

I then took the plane to Pol to refuel before making a high Jool orbit (~250 Mm), and then it was a straight shot home.

XHZajPr.png

• Landed at 0-9 KSC

I'd submit my current variant (less drag, goo in second cargo bay), but this model has a lower part count. If you want more pictures of this plane in action, feel free to dig through the Neptune Mission Files; a mission report thread reserved specifically for Laythe exploration and colonization efforts on my career save. I hope this entry qualifies for this contest, and that it fares well with the judge/s.

18 hours ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

I'd like to enter my Mun Hopper Mk. II SSTO into your challenge. <snip>

Glad to have you on board, and thanks for your entry! I have to say I am pleasantly surprised that the first entry is an SSTO, but it undoubtedly qualifies, and is a very good looking effort too! If any other SSTO come in, then I'd be happy to separate out the scoreboards for those.

12 hours ago, Jetski said:

Here's my entry.  - incomplete

Excellent work! I look forward to seeing how you can complete, or if there are any iterative improvements you can make: 8+8 for both mission and rescue ship is within the rules, and 16 parts in total is a very credible first entry once your mission is complete!

5 hours ago, dnbattley said:

I have to say I am pleasantly surprised that the first entry is an SSTO,

Really? I thought that spaceplanes were the norm when it came to Laythe landings. Sure, some people choose conventional landers (even Apollo-style missions), but you need to design them differently from what you would usually send (e.g. you need to account for the atmosphere and have some good heat protection). Besides that, you only have one shot to get it right or else you're stuck in the water forever - and even if you do get it right, you're limited to exploring that one island. At least @Jetski accounted for that and designed his lander to work in the water.

• I may have used a conventional landing-style approach in my Neptune II mission (read pg. 2 in this link for further details), but that was when I was still starting to make functional SSTOs. Once my Mun Hopper was working, I swore never to use landers for Laythe again after the capsule exploded during Kerbin re-entry.
    • The only reason my kerbalnaut was still alive was because he was lucky that the Vall Girls were close by to pick him up in Jool orbit.

5 hours ago, dnbattley said:

If any other SSTO come in, then I'd be happy to separate out the scoreboards for those.

Thanks. After all, landers and spaceplanes require different designs and attack plans.

I have another suggestion for your scoring system: awarding points based on what your craft can do:

• It will motivate people to make cooler designs instead of just some five-part Minmus lander 
    • Like my High Occupancy Mun Lander Challenge that @dnbattley was in in last year.
    • Points for Minmus landing and return < Points for Laythe landing and return < POINTS FOR BOTH
      • Remember that I awarded more points for craft that could land on both the Mun and Minmus
  • You still would prioritize lowest part count in your scoring system.

What do you think?

So, we know Minmus can be done with 3 parts because Duna-Ike-Minimus can. Not sure if 3 parts to Laythe is possible, considering that even with absolute perfect gravity assists (i.e. getting from Eve/Duna intercept to Laythe surface for 0 delta-V), anything less than 4k delta-V in LKO seems insufficient.

Edited by Pds314

• 6 months later...

I think a near optimal mission would consist of the following:
The craft: 7 or 8 parts
Twin-boar
Big fuel tank
Crew capsule
Ore tank
Drill
RTG
Ore converter
Radiator (Optional)

Flight path would be Kerbin->Mun->Minmus, refuel at Minmus
Minmus->Eve would only be ~500 m/s for a Kerbin->Eve->Kerbin->Kerbin->Jool route
Then you can do a Tylo->Laythe assist and aerobrake at Laythe, so you basically get from Eve to Laythe for free

Return path would be Laythe->Tylo which kicks you retrograde to Kerbin and then you aerobrake there - you'll have more than enough delta-v to land.

41 minutes ago, camacju said:

I think a near optimal mission would consist of the following:
The craft: 7 or 8 parts
Twin-boar
Big fuel tank
Crew capsule
Ore tank
Drill
RTG
Ore converter
Radiator (Optional)

Flight path would be Kerbin->Mun->Minmus, refuel at Minmus
Minmus->Eve would only be ~500 m/s for a Kerbin->Eve->Kerbin->Kerbin->Jool route
Then you can do a Tylo->Laythe assist and aerobrake at Laythe, so you basically get from Eve to Laythe for free

Return path would be Laythe->Tylo which kicks you retrograde to Kerbin and then you aerobrake there - you'll have more than enough delta-v to land.

Another option without mining is the Mammoth, largest DLC fuel tank, Rapier, crew capsule, fuel tank for rapier, air intake which is 6 Parts, maybe another part to increase maneuverability on Laythe.

I did a mission to Laythe and back with the Mammoth/Rapier combination with 11 parts, but it does not count because I used the infinite electricity cheat. The extra parts were a parachute, a decoupler, two winglets and another fuel tank.

I don't have DLC unfortunately so I just go off the default game. But still 7 parts seems to be the lowest possible with mining. Additionally: with that 6 part rocket would you be able to get to Minmus also?

Edited by camacju

I'm not going to officially enter this challenge. But the craft I described above has enough delta-v to do a direct Minmus transfer without a Mun assist, if you launch with about 300 units of ore in the tank and convert it mid-flight. From there it's trivial to get over to Laythe. And since it has enough delta-v and TWR  to go to Minmus from Kerbin, it has enough to go to Pol from Laythe, and then it's trivial to get over to Kerbin. I don't know if it's possible to do this mission with any fewer than seven parts.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.