A Game Both Kirk and Spock Could Enjoy

Spacescifi

"Not chess. Poker."

-Captain Kirk TOS

It got me thinking, what would a game be like that combined features from both chess and poker?

The greatest game ever?

Chess is anything but random with total infornation right in front of you, whereas poker involves bluffing since there is plenty of information you do not know.

The best I could think up is perhaps this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHspeKOHFTdFN7RnljIC6

Only difference is make it a chess board and make the chess pieces like to stratego in that your opponent cannot see what piece they truly are. I know piecr movement is a dead give away, but it still allows for plenty of bluffing.

Making it a game humans could consistently do better at than machines.

What do you think? Any ideas of mixing chess and poker you may have? Or improve upon what I started perhaps?

Edited by Spacescifi

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Citation needed :D

Um... machines are inferior to us in one respect.

A total lack of intution and adaptability. They are to do one job and do it well, whereas we are not made to do anyspecificjob per se, but can learn to do just about anything. We trade efficiency for adaptability.

And machines make poor judgement calls. They literally would not know what to do in an ethical situation they were not programmed for.

Hot take

Nobody has ever tested themselves "against a machine"

The only thing we have ever tested ourselves against, in that context, are software engineers - humans.

And the software engineer is cheating by using a tool.

Im never that impressed by "human beats machine" or "machine beats human" headlines. Its all human vs human in heavily unbalanced tests!

Software vs software? THAT is interesting. THAT should be a legit competition - its a fair test, who can program the best gamer onto the same set of hardware?

The winner of that contest certainly will be an interesting thing.

A computer that can beat a human at a systematic game? Or a human beating a computer at something computers arent great at? Not really that shocking.

Edited by p1t1o

2 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Nobody has ever tested themselves "against a machine"

The only thing we have ever tested ourselves against, in that context, are software engineers - humans.

By that metric, no one has ever tested their capabilities against a machine of any kind, since all machines have been made by humans.

I think we all know that testing oneself "against a machine" is shorthand for testing one's own capabilities against the thing(s) the engineered machine has been designed to excel at, including the machine's lack of fatigue and total attention to the task at hand.

Edited by Nikolai

huh that seems fun. I’d wanna play a good game of pochesker, but only Pochesker - Lucida Sans Edition™️

On 2/27/2020 at 6:46 AM, p1t1o said:

Software vs software? THAT is interesting. THAT should be a legit competition - its a fair test, who can program the best gamer onto the same set of hardware?

The winner of that contest certainly will be an interesting thing.

A computer that can beat a human at a systematic game? Or a human beating a computer at something computers arent great at? Not really that shocking.

YEah! I love it! Two robots playing a good game of Pochesker - Lucida Sans Edition ™️

35 minutes ago, HansonKerman said:

huh that seems fun. I’d wanna play a good game of pochesker, but only Pochesker - Lucida Sans Edition™️

YEah! I love it! Two robots playing a good game of Pochesker - Lucida Sans Edition ™️

It's like playing chess where all the pieces look the same to the opponent, even though he knows they are not.

If anything it may make a player better at normal chess, as if they can survive and win in a setting with less information, normal chess should be considerably easier.

Or not. Since it would be all too easy to rely on stealth tactics that would be suicide in normal chess.

You can fool someone into thinking a queen is a pawn in this mix of stratego and chess, call it... Stress.

Can't bluff like that in normal chess.

Edited by Spacescifi

5 hours ago, Spacescifi said:

It's like playing chess where all the pieces look the same to the opponent, even though he knows they are not.

If anything it may make a player better at normal chess, as if they can survive and win in a setting with less information, normal chess should be considerably easier.

Or not. Since it would be all too easy to rely on stealth tactics that would be suicide in normal chess.

You can fool someone into thinking a queen is a pawn in this mix of stratego and chess, call it... Stress.

Can't bluff like that in normal chess.

Hmm. This is true. However, a game like that would be too hard to make,

Spoiler

and incorporate Lucida sans into

so, like,) battleship chess? Battless?

this has become like a thread about people arguing about the rules of a board game

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.