Kerbal Space Program 1.9.1 is live!

UomoCapra

It's possible I'm the only person left who hasn't transferred my purchase to Steam, but how on Earth do I get the patcher for 1.9.1 to work? I've downloaded it and got it to run, but when I enter the folder that KSP is located it just says "Please select a valid Kerbal Space Program folder".

I know the patcher was always a bit... patchy in the past but does it work at all? Anyone got any advice? Cheers.

Edited by Drunken Hobo

33 minutes ago, Drunken Hobo said:

It's possible I'm the only person left who hasn't transferred my purchase to Steam, but how on Earth do I get the patcher for 1.9.1 to work? I've downloaded it and got it to run, but when I enter the folder that KSP is located it just says "Please select a valid Kerbal Space Program folder".

I know the patcher was always a bit... patchy in the past but does it work at all? Anyone got any advice? Cheers.

The patcher simply doesn't work.

Just download the complete 1.9.1 and install it in a new directory and then copy over your saves.

(Or overwrite your current install if you are brave/crazy :) )

9 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

Just download the complete 1.9.1 and install it in a new directory and then copy over your saves.

(Or overwrite your current install if you are brave/crazy :) )

Cheers for the reply. Had the game since 2012 and I don't think the patcher has ever worked. Wonder why they even release it!

24 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

What the heck... you're absolutely sure about this?

Read: I'd have to go through the hassle and not only add all my mods but personal customizations and that as well?

Had that from 1.7.3 to 1.8.1. No again...

Please... no?

2 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

What the heck... you're absolutely sure about this?

Read: I'd have to go through the hassle and not only add all my mods but personal customizations and that as well?

Had that from 1.7.3 to 1.8.1. No again...

Please... no?

CKAN or backup your current install and then overwrite it with the new release.

(I actually did the latter and it worked for me).

Edited by Curveball Anders

Just now, Curveball Anders said:

CKAN or backup your current install and then overwrite it with the new release.

No offence (given or taken), I'm not that noob :D 

Been thinking:

Copy my current working install (1.8.1) to the respective steam directory and trying to to update it. That's going to fail as per your post?

7 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

No offence (given or taken), I'm not that noob :D 

Been thinking:

Copy my current working install (1.8.1) to the respective steam directory and trying to to update it. That's going to fail as per your post?

As long as you make a backup of your current install first, it'll work.
Or in your case, leave the off-steam directory as a backup.

1 hour ago, basic.syntax said:

Squad fixes a lot of bugs. See changelog. Every update contains fixes. Its not fair to say "QA doesn't exist." 

The very purpose of a Quality Assurance Process is fixing bugs before the product is kicked trough the door. If the bugs are fixed after the product is on the wild, then the Quality Assurance Process had failed.

That said, this is not a statement about the professionals, it's a statement about the Process. Whatever is the Development Process used by Squad, it's utterly and miserably failing - to the point it's reasonable to think there's none.

3 hours ago, basic.syntax said:

Squad fixes a lot of bugs. See changelog. Every update contains fixes. Its not fair to say "QA doesn't exist." 

Doesn't exist, I guess that might be a little extreme... How about "The only QA is us, so bugs aren't detected until we have a chance to play a new release and complain about them."

If Squad's procedures included adequate pre-release testing, AKA QA, we wouldn't see such frequent and obvious bugs making it to release.

Even cursory testing, by which I mean even one tester trying to use the product as intended for as little as an hour, would find problems like non-functional parachutes, missing atmospheric drag, or an inoperative manuever node editor.

We're repeatedly seeing problems like these within minutes of starting up .0 releases, so the obvious conclusion is obvious - they're not QA testing the product, they're not listening to their testers, or they're ignoring major regressions and releasing as-is.

Is it really so much to ask that someone at Squad sit down with their product for an hour and try to launch a basic rocket or get a mun intercept before they decide it's ready to release? Hiring one QA tester for an hour or two doesn't exactly cost a kings ransom, hell, I know people who do it for free.

Why are such obvious bugs being missed again and again?

Edited by steve_v

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

The very purpose of a Quality Assurance Process is fixing bugs before the product is kicked trough the door. If the bugs are fixed after the product is on the wild, then the Quality Assurance Process had failed.

How are we to know what bugs were found and fixed before the version was presented to us?

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

How are we to know what bugs were found and fixed before the version was presented to us?

There's no bugs before a release is published. What we have at this point is software development. Some processes calls these "Issues".

Bugs are problems happening on user's machines - when it happens on the developers', it's called "task" - this is the very reason we spend time and money on Q/A and Software Development Processes, to do our jobs on our machines, not on the user's.

Edited by Lisias
Tyops! surprised?

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Well said.

Also, people forget that all software has bugs even after passing a QA process.

Also, QA in present times now includes community input - and game that arrises from a community/early-access mode retains many aspect of its earlier community QA approach.

We should all continue to support community bug identification and documentation - its all in our best interest.

3 hours ago, Lisias said:

There's no bugs before a release is published.

Then how can they do their job that you stated they should do?

6 hours ago, Lisias said:

The very purpose of a Quality Assurance Process is fixing bugs before the product is kicked trough the door.

5 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Then how can they do their job that you stated they should do?

By executing their tasks properly, before releasing the product to the wild, where any glitch or mishap will impact the user experience and be classified as "bug". A "bug" is something affecting the users. If you detect it before releasing it, it's just an Issue.

[~ snip ~]

Edited by Starhawk
Redacted by moderator

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

By executing their tasks properly, before releasing the product to the wild, where any glitch or mishap will impact the user experience and be classified as "bug". A "bug" is something affecting the users. If you detect it before releasing it, it's just an Issue.

[~ snip ~]

And what makes you think that they didn't do that for a vast majority of the bugs issues they found that you then never saw?

There is still hope kerbonauts
If one has the breaking ground DLC, the engine controllers can be set to either ludicrously large values (e.g 2000% thrust), or negative values (e.g -1%)
Negative thrust provides fuel replenishment and does nothing other than that, thus allowing perpetual flight.
Here is danny2462's video on it.