Kerbal Space Program 1.9.1 is live!

UomoCapra

1 minute ago, nestor said:

I don't know the code myself but probably fixing another symmetry issue caused this issue since we are running with the limitations of the symmetry code I described. The long term solution is what I described before but unfortunately it's going to take longer.

Thanks for the long awaited heads up, now I can at least see that this is not just lost somewhere. I hope the team will figure it out some day. 

@Bej Kerman

* Reverted Wheel Friction and Brake changes to 1.8.1 behaviors.

Something in 1.9.0 was causing the Friction to drop severely from the old default settings. Most people complained about it on the mun.

The rover would start sliding because the automatic friction settings had dropped from 8.2 to 0.25.

I havent tested to see if its fixed but that was the main issue.

The brakes on some rovers/wheels will cause a sudden stop when they shouldnt, I think might be the other one.

1 hour ago, dok_377 said:

Strange. It was working well in 1.7 (apart from the other bugs) and refused to work after 1.8 was released. Was there a significant change somewhere in Unity or maybe in the game itself that I don't recall?  

1.8 was the version they upgraded to Unity 2019.2, I believe.

3 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

15 days? Jeez I've given up on bugs 10 times older than that. You may want to pull up a chair.

The original was reported four months ago. It's not new. 

7 hours ago, Meecrob said:

1.8 was the version they upgraded to Unity 2019.2, I believe.

I'm aware of that. I was talking more about "under the hood" changes that might have caused those weird issues with symmetry. 

14 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

For future releases though, I think I'm just going to skip 1.x.0. Sadly they always seem to be bug-ridden.

If everyone was such selfish, we would never achieve the current level of possibilities...

Spoiler

And this is just partially a joke, as KSP is very specific game which unlikely could be tested by a limited team of testers.

Just always do backups and treat 1.x.0 as a spin-off with attraction park

Spoiler

...on a minefield.

Fix Ground physics material settings for EVA kerbal interactions. Stop that sinking feeling.

So, instead of adding Kerbal alligators they drained the swamp. :(Nice.

Edited by kerbiloid

19 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

Kerbal Space Program 1.9.1 is live!

This patch focuses mainly on solving issues encountered in the base game and both the Making History and Breaking Ground Expansions.

This update appears to fix the horrible grey atmosphere from 1.8.x (or maybe 1.9.0 did, but it was too broken to bother with), thank you.

However, I notice that texture quality settings are still not working properly. This has been the case since 1.8.0, is there any particular reason it's not been addressed yet?

I don't know about you, but I see very little point in including fancy new textures if we can't actually have them in game...

Edited by steve_v

16 hours ago, MechBFP said:

Nice. BTW does anyone have an MM patch they could link to for fixing the terrier problem that causes it to explode when entering an atmosphere because of the “21” typo?

Or rather can anyone confirm if that is fixed in the parts database or not with this version?

Well I confirmed it is not fixed in any case. 

8 hours ago, dok_377 said:

I'm aware of that. I was talking more about "under the hood" changes that might have caused those weird issues with symmetry. 

I'm not sure what you are looking for if literally changing the game engine for a newer version isn't "under-the-hood". Maybe play v1.3.1 or 1.7.3?

7 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

I'm not sure what you are looking for if literally changing the game engine for a newer version isn't "under-the-hood". Maybe play v1.3.1 or 1.7.3?

Symmetry is handled by KSP itself, not by Unity. Resources management of a part too (hint: it was working on 1.8, it got broken in 1.9).

14 minutes ago, OHara said:

The bug tracker does, but in this case you have to really search the bug with this reported symptom (link) to find a link to the one with the patch (link).

I saw it, but that MM patch is over a year old. I should probably just ignore the other engines in that MM patch and just pull out the one for the LV-909 v2 engine.

3 hours ago, Lisias said:

Symmetry is handled by KSP itself, not by Unity. Resources management of a part too (hint: it was working on 1.8, it got broken in 1.9).

Cool, good to know.

Not sure what you mean by the second sentence though?

26 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

Not sure what you mean by the second sentence though?

It's a new bug unleashed on KSP 1.9.0 about parts with resources, that is stomping heavily the toes from Add'On Authors that changes how Resources (EC, Fuel, Oxidizer, Ore, etc) are stored on that part.

6 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

The last x.x.0 has had bugs yes.

Yet none of them has been relevant to me. so I've played them with great satisfaction ;)

You never find yourself wanting to create a second (or third) maneuver node? :o

1 hour ago, Neilski said:

You never find yourself wanting to create a second (or third) maneuver node?

Not who you quoted but no, I don't make that many. And from what I know of the bug (I also haven't played 1.9 because JNSQ) you can still edit the node with the node editor in the lower left, correct? I'd just use that. I mostly do anyway.

Sure it's annoying and workflow breaking but I don't see how it'd make the game impossible to play in the short term.

15 hours ago, steve_v said:

This update appears to fix the horrible grey atmosphere from 1.8.x (or maybe 1.9.0 did, but it was too broken to bother with), thank you.

However, I notice that texture quality settings are still not working properly. This has been the case since 1.8.0, is there any particular reason it's not been addressed yet?

I don't know about you, but I see very little point in including fancy new textures if we can't actually have them in game...

Absolute annoying. There are big announcemnts about visual revamps and about better support of HiDPI displays and then they didn't test.

Embarrassing. Quality assurance none existant?

And again back to 1.7.3. :-(

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Not who you quoted but no, I don't make that many. And from what I know of the bug (I also haven't played 1.9 because JNSQ) you can still edit the node with the node editor in the lower left, correct? I'd just use that. I mostly do anyway.

Sure it's annoying and workflow breaking but I don't see how it'd make the game impossible to play in the short term.

Yup, it was possible to edit with the editor thingy, and indeed that's what I did. I also agree that it wasn't impossible to play but it sure was annoying, especially not being able to drag the node.
My point wasn't that it wrecked the game (it's fixed now anyway in 1.9.1) but that I found it surprising for someone to say that a bug like that wasn't relevant to them cos I use multiple maneuver nodes almost all the time...

On another note, is anyone else noticing that asteroids have totally stopped spawning? I don't think I've seen a single one spawn since 1.9.0 came out, though I'm not certain. I now have two Sentinels up in legit Kerbin-viewing orbits and tens of days have passed with none detected... Weird. Maybe there's another reason (than a fresh bug) why this might be happening?

1 hour ago, rfried said:

Embarrassing. Quality assurance none existant?

With their hands tied, I can bet my mouse on it.

I started my "Multinational Corporation" career as Quality, rose the ladder to Development (where my training as Quality helped a lot, by the way) and I can tell you for sure: Q/A is not about "finding bugs", it's about preventing them - but no bug can be prevented if no one hear the Q/A guys. Safety belts are only useful if you are tied to it, they are pointless if you don't use it. Q/A is the same.

Quality Control, on the other hand, is about finding bugs. But Q/C are also useless if there're no formal and known requirements, otherwise they will be told "Works as Designed" or "There're no Requirement specifying the behaviour, so it's not a bug" , and they can do nothing about. Again. there's no point on having a sparing tire if you don't fix it after changing tires.

1 hour ago, rfried said:

And again back to 1.7.3. :-(

Curiously enough - I just munched a lot of numbers from Steam Charts and the Bugtrack, and apparently the user base agrees with you - 1.7.3 is the way to go. (I still using 1.4.5, by the way).

Edited by Lisias
Better phrasing

4 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

you can still edit the node with the node editor in the lower left, correct? I'd just use that.

I tried that for a while, it's incredibly painful. And it's an incredibly stupid bug that should have been caught long before release.

2 hours ago, rfried said:

Quality assurance none existant?

Pretty much. Either they're not doing any, or they're not listening.

12 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I am sorry but this is too much not to reply.Its fine to be upset about major bugs like this.You though went to the other side, defending this like its not even a bug,well, thats weird, it feels weird.

Not wanting to create a 2nd maneuver the usual normal/easy way???

Anyways thank you for all the constant updates and i am sure eventually everything will be just fine!

Edited by Boyster