Record-Sized Explosion from Black Hole

GearsNSuch

As I understand it, they found a part of a nebula that had part of a spherical chunk taken out of it.  Multiple observations confirmed the sphericalness of the chunk so they assume it's from an explosion.  As a layman, I don't understand how that confirms a huge explosion.  Why isn't it an explosion that happened billions of years ago that has expanded to this '15 milky ways' size?  I have only read this article though and am no astrophysicist.  :p 

29 minutes ago, SuperFastJellyfish said:

how that confirms a huge explosion

https://www.icrar.org/kaboom/

But scientists initially dismissed the idea that it could have been caused by an energetic outburst, because it would have been too big.

“People were sceptical because the size of outburst,” she said. “But it really is that. The Universe is a weird place.”

The researchers only realised what they had discovered when they looked at the Ophiuchus galaxy cluster with radio telescopes.

“The radio data fit inside the X-rays like a hand in a glove,” said co-author Dr Maxim Markevitch, from NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center.

“This is the clincher that tells us an eruption of unprecedented size occurred here.”

On 2/28/2020 at 8:30 PM, SuperFastJellyfish said:

As I understand it, they found a part of a nebula that had part of a spherical chunk taken out of it.  Multiple observations confirmed the sphericalness of the chunk so they assume it's from an explosion.  As a layman, I don't understand how that confirms a huge explosion.  Why isn't it an explosion that happened billions of years ago that has expanded to this '15 milky ways' size?  I have only read this article though and am no astrophysicist.  :p 

I think the size of the area blown clear is what they're citing as evidence of the power of the creating force. As for it being an "explosion," though, I think that's just excessively colorful language. A steady outward force, it seems to be, would have the same effect without necessarily being from a single, cataclysmic event. 

Disclaimer: I am not an expert. 

On 2/28/2020 at 7:36 PM, kerbiloid said:

Antimatter storage blackout.
So bright in the night!

You want to keep an antimatter storage facility fairly lightweight, if it fails it will blow up, however most of the antimatter here will not react at an small facility in deep space, rather it and the storage facility will turn into cosmic rays.  
Same prinsip in that just an fraction of the nuclear material in an nuclear bomb react. 
Inside an planets atmosphere or if you hit an ship with an antimatter powered missile is another case as you get an bit of antimatter with lots of matter around. 

People would probably still survive anyway. Even if one side of the earth gets completely sterilised, the people who survived on the far side could still scrape out an existence by living in closed life support systems. Even if the climate goes into apocalypse mode people could still live underground I guess. I can’t see everyone dying. 99% maybe >_<

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, Dale Christopher said:

People would probably still survive anyway. Even if one side of the earth gets completely sterilised, the people who survived on the far side could still scrape out an existence by living in closed life support systems. Even if the climate goes into apocalypse mode people could still live underground I guess. I can’t see everyone dying. 99% maybe >_<

Tens of millions of people would have a tough time rebuilding a technological infrastructure (although presumably they couldn't mine the cities of the sterilized half until the politics were at least functional).

Don't forget that sterilizing a continent means deforestation, you'd probably have desert conditions across most of the sterilized half (typically after human caused deforestation they don't grow back from seeds fast enough, I'd assume natural causes would do the same).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.