This and that

VoidSquid

Continuing an interesting  off topic discussion from another thread.

EDIT: just some guidelines, folks:

1. Don't take it (or anyone here) too serious.

2. Open discussion, speak your mind. No offence given, none taken.

3. Stay within forum rules, obviously (well, we might deviate into politics, religion, but then again: no offence given, none taken. I hope that's ok with our mods)

Edited by VoidSquid

Yes, you need. I'm human, I make mistakes, I can be honestly unknowingly biased.

You can honestly tell what you think is the true at the same time making a stupid mistake about how to interpret information. 

Which is exactly the reason I trust you. It's not that this is first post from you I'm seeing.

As I said: Trust - the very foundation of our civilization.

An anecdotal example, if I may: Few years ago I did read a true story about a young boy who got lost in the woods while hiking with his parents. As per his  parent's advice, he stayed away from any persons he didn't knew.

It was only by shear luck that was found in time, eventually. Turned out, he could have been saved way earlier if he'd just not fled from but approached other folks walking around.

Not trusting your fellow next might even endanger your life. 

Edited by VoidSquid

2 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

Either here, if more people than just you and me are interested, or via PM, that would just you and me then, ok?

It depends on how deep on the rabbits's hole we intend to go. Some subjects can easily start a flame-war.

2 minutes ago, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

I really feel that we are being treated like a villain and they have to collect unnessesary stuff about us 

It's more like whatever is calling these shots just don't care about us. We are not being handled as villains, we are being handled as cattle.

(it's way worse).

Being the reason it could be a better idea not to openly discuss such things in the wild initially.

Edited by Lisias
better phrasing

Just now, Lisias said:

It's more like whatever is calling these shots just don't care about us. We are not being handled as villains, we are being handled as cattle.

Signed.

Guys, give me a few, evening time here, read: rime for dinner and our crazy parrots.

12 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

Actually no.

Since you're only using one source of debateable quality.

What you are saying is that the trend, using that single source, is indicating something ;)

Actually yes.

I'm not using a source of debatable quality (by God's Sake, Steam answers for something beetween 18 ato 20% of the World game sales. It's significant, and a good source of reliable information)

And yes, it's indicating something. It's indicating how Steam users that launches the Game from the Steam Launcher are behaving.

How to interpolate that information to the general public is debateable, and that's exactly what we are doing.

Edited by Lisias
Tyops! As usulla....

1 minute ago, Curveball Anders said:

Exactly, it's indicating how Steam users are behaving, and only that.

Just my words. 

Then (from the other thread), shameless self quote:

"I'd think those numbers are good for showing a general trend maybe, I'l happily admit, but the numbers itself, imo not reliable at all. I'd guess one would have to add a big horizontal baseline."

1 minute ago, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

The problem is which steam users

Check out the requests for help, you know it by now for yourself, not easy to provide help :D 

3 minutes ago, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

The problem is which steam users

Nope. They are only the ones whose data I have access.

And since it's highly unlikely that we will have access to any other source of data, we will have to use this the best we can in the hope it applies to everybody else.

Edited by Lisias
Hit "save" too soon.

Naturally, yes.

And how often did we read over the years "KSP is dead".

"There's life in the old dog yet", as they say :D 

Backup up my by Twitch experiences (I actually love to help newbies to get started), I think there's the "hardcore" part of us (that's what I called the baseline in the other thread). And there're the passers bye.

44 minutes ago, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

If it escalates

I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

So far, and in particular with this community, it happens only rarely. Plus: this thread I opened is about to be open minded, which as per my understanding also means: no offence given, no offence taken.

Edited by VoidSquid

2 minutes ago, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

What is Take Two btw?

Publisher that purchased KSP / Squad

3 minutes ago, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

I really feel that we are being treated like a villain and they have to collect unnessesary stuff about us 

What's the business model of popular social media platforms then? It's free of charge, or is it? You're paying with your personal data.

And those guys - drum roll - are a joke compared to state actors. Conspiracy mode on: Deep State.

I think we are giving too much attention to Unity Analytics. What kind of information we are giving? An IP, machine configuration and game we are running.

Ok, we can block that. But that would be accomplish too little under our current status quo.

Every time you run ckan, startup KSP and let KSP-AVC do its business (not to mention MiniAVC in the past), we are feeding someone else's NGINX/Apache/IIS access log. And all of this is harvestable the same way.

SpaceDock, cybutek,  KerbalX, all of them know who we are and what we use and when we are logged.

3 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

Exactly, it's indicating how Steam users are behaving, and only that.

I think you really need to read something about Applied Statistics.

The individual is unpredictable, but a group of individuals is statically predictable, if you have a good enough sample space.

3 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

And how often did we read over the years "KSP is dead".

"There's life in the old dog yet", as they say :D 

Eventually, this will be true. But if by any chance we can detect this happening before it happens, we can try to do something about.

KSP is not dead yet, for sure. But that charts of mine suggests it's shrinking a lot, to a point that the Add'On Scene can start to be impracticable - what, frankly, sometimes I think it's already happening.

And without the Add'On Scene, what remains? A bait game used to advertise cassinos?

Edited by Lisias
Brute force post merging

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.