This and that

VoidSquid

3 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Once upon a time...

1984 was a warning, not an instruction manual.

Brave new world.

Well, it was a warning, and it still is,

China.

Ah sorry I put my snack on the keyboard better just get this model of a fuel tank out of here I didn’t say anything move along mods

I don't want to go into any details here about specific countries, politicians, parties etc., sufficient to say that most of them imo have lost contact to the real world, to the things that ordinary people care or worry about.

There are good reasons that discussions about politics and religion are not allowed here, it always ends bad.

On 3/1/2020 at 9:26 AM, VoidSquid said:

Please stop apologizing, ok? :) 

Oh, my apologies for that! :sticktongue:

On 3/1/2020 at 6:19 AM, VoidSquid said:

Thing is, Squad is a business, and our fellow modders do their work not for money but for their fun, their passion, their love for the game, and sometimes for our little community. 

Exactly. And by being a business, they need revenue. Somehow.

I'm on this business too, but not on games (something way less entertaining but equally complicated).

And let me tell you, I do some of the stunts these guys are doing, I close business for good - it's not the bugs the problem, but how you cope with them.

Spoiler

I once borked beautifully on a key feature for a big client due some rush we had to do to reach a milestone on the needed deadline. It was ugly, 40 people had to work overnight that day due the stunt, and this on the client - I'm not counting the people that had to burn the midnight oil due these 40 guys that was delayed by the problem. (was me working physically on the client, I could not be here today! :P )

I thought I was toasted. The contact on the client just asked 4 questions:

• What happened?
  • Why it has happened?
  • It will happen again?
    • Why?

Since we managed to satisfactorily answer these questions, the client ended up happy on the end - and now a critical process on his chain was hardened and with greats chances of never breaking again (and if it happens, I will be notified 15 minutes after the sinister and will act on it). 

Every time we bork on the development, people will waste time. No one likes wasting time (worse if you on the paying side of this equation), but most of the time, people are willing to take the hit as long they are helping to get a better solution tomorrow.

As soon as people realizes that they are having their time wasted because you choose to save yours instead of trying to make their lives better, they will react - and the aggressiveness of the reaction will be exponentially proportional to the efforts they made in the past to withhold your past borks.

Users are your customers, not your subjects - and even subjects had deposed their sovereigns in the past when they got enough. 

On 3/1/2020 at 6:53 AM, VoidSquid said:

On a very personal note, life hasn't always been kind to me (well, to whom it is then), but KSP and our little community did help me (unknowingly) through some really bad days. Now things are better for me, so I'm trying as good as I can to give back a bit by helping others.

Same here. These freaking little green guys helped me to cope with some really nasty situations. The degree of freedom this game (and the Add'Ons) give us allow people to replicate, in a simulacro, real life challenges and this is therapeutic - it helps on going through that Five Stages of Grief.

However...  Add up what we just said to what I had said on the previous paragraph, and do the math.

Spoiler

Not willing to do an Appeal to Emotion, but this is one of that situations where Life imitates fallacies... :P

There are people on hospitals with their laptops trying to overcome a terrible experience. You trash their game because you decided your time worths more than theirs, you will have to cope with the backslash - simple like that.

Whatever is being done right now on KSP, is not being done with users in mind. Whatever are the objectives aimed by the current development practices, they don't aim the user satisfaction. However, make no mistake, they aim to satisfy someone - we just are not going to like it.

Edited by Lisias
Better formatting

Some more (irrelevant? not for me me though) thoughts (and, hey, this is MY thread about "this and that", isn't it)

Been up at around 4 am. Birds are singing, back, winter is over.

Human affairs? That important?

The world still goes on, doesn't it.

I'll be gone in the not so far future. What will be left?

I can only hope the world will not be worse off than if I've never had been.

As long as I'm still here: please, people, save those nasty, snarky comments when you have an issue and don't like my answer. 

I simply try to help, if that's not good enough for you, then just move on. My time is too precious for such a nonsense. 

Do not insult people who just try to help. Thanks.

Don't we, as humans, have way more important things to worry about but going after each other? Making your next (fellow) human's life miserable?

Obviously not, it seems.

What a pity.

Edited by VoidSquid

[snip]ing depression, it just sucks. Hate it so much. :( 

But thanks to Valentina, Jeb, and some good old music, I'll get over it.

Again.

Again.

And function.

I had better times.

Isn't life a wonderful thing?

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

On 3/15/2020 at 7:17 AM, VoidSquid said:

Isn't life a wonderful thing?

Yeah. Right. A lot of twists and turns.

But thanks to Valentina, Jeb, and some good old music, I'll get over it.

Jeb and Val our good old hilarious saviors!:sticktongue:

[snip]ing depression, it just sucks. Hate it so much. :( 

I can understand. It's really horrible!

I am sure you can get around it! Just believe in yourself (and Jeb and Val)! Anyone can accomplish anything!

Several posts have been removed.

Folks, please remember that forum rule 3.3 forbids open discussion of moderator action.  If you've been moderated and have an issue with it, please take it up privately with the moderators, via forum PM.  Don't post about it publicly.

Thank you for your understanding.

And still the raven remains in my room
No matter how much I implore
No words can soothe him
No prayer remove him
And I must hear for evermore

Embracing the raven
Wisdom and eternity
Singularity

Edited by VoidSquid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.