This and that

VoidSquid

Strange things do happen in the forum...

Naming them, putting my criticism in words publicly, probably will get me banned. 

Diametrical disagreeing with moderators about what is proper conduct, what is not. 

Obviously, some posts are allowed where I think they shouldn't. And vice versa.

Edited by VoidSquid

On 3/6/2021 at 1:21 AM, VoidSquid said:

Strange things do happen in the forum...

Since my first thread here, at least... A show of horrors... I never really understood why some people was allowed to treat newcomers that way.

Naming them, putting my criticism in words publicly, probably will get me banned. 

On that account, I can't complain. Kraken knows how many times I publicly and harshly criticised some cornerstones of this Community - but only got moderated when some Forum rule was violated.

I agree that some rules are not exactly ideal, and can be (ab)used sometimes, though.

Diametrical disagreeing with moderators about what is proper conduct, what is not. 

Got some of that too.

On the brigth side, I kinda "won" an argument or two, besides never managing to revert a moderation act.

Perhaps this could be related to "how" did you argumented?

Some people are terribly sensitive to how you say things, completely ignoring what are you saying.

I was educated on a way where the content of the message was the important thing, being the format secondary - as long you say the True, the format of the message is handled separately (i.e., you misbehave while saying the True, you got admosted by the misbehaviour, but without prejudice of the message itself).

Obviously, this is not the norm nowadays.

Obviously, some posts are allowed where I think they shouldn't. And vice versa.

Man Made style? Some people are allowed to publish some things, and some others aren't?

Edited by Lisias
Eternal Tyops of the Englishless Mind...

26 minutes ago, Lisias said:

On the brigth side, I kinda "won" an argument or two

I do remember, in another forum, a particular disagreement with the moderators there:

They had the rule, that whenever a topic was closed by the moderators, regardless of the reason(s), any user was forbidden  to open a new thread about that very topic.

Long story short, if "the gang" (aka the progressive, "woke", good-doers) did not like a specific topic, they simply started a flame war, which naturally and rightfully got that thread closed.

Gaming the system.

Try to open a calm, serious, fact based based discussion about that very topic got you punished badly.

I left that game.

Edited by VoidSquid

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

Some people are terribly sensitive to how you say things, completely ignoring what are you saying.

[snip]

And then you still have people who are just and simply obnoxious. Telling them they are is a bad thing. Better say nothing, preserve the peace.

For how long you keep quiet then? Until there is nothing left? No right or wrong, no decency anymore?

EDIT: It's not that I don't understand our fellow moderators, heck no, If I were in their shoes, I'd do the very same: keeping the peace. Don't get me wrong here.

Still, for me, wrong means wrong, right means right.

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

Guys, this conversation is veering into forbidden territory:

• Public discussion of moderation
  • Politics

Please steer clear of such topics, which are forbidden by the forum rules.  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

So, let't talk parabola.

Let't pretend that one small but famous texan car maker just released a new model on the market, and it was a huge success o March 2021.

It sold very well on New York, and even one Argentinian that lives on Patagonia bought one - it arrived on his home at May.

And everybody was happy driving their cars - but on June, the one in Patagonia suddenly lost power and had to be towed back home and it didn't worked again for days. The owner, that liked the car very much, decided to diagnose himself the problem as he wasn't willing to ship the car overseas - he loved his car, he wanted it fixed fast.

He managed to realize that the engine was shutting down when the weather gets below -10º C and it's snowing. He opened a bug report and asked urgency on the fix. However, the manufacturer noticed that that problem had only 3 votes (the Patagonian owner, his wife and son), so they didn't bothered to fix the problem, as they had thousands on votes no bugs complaining about the paint-job that wasn't shining as advertised.

In December, all the 90000 cars sold to New York stopped working on Christmas.

I remember my fist boss saying, well, if you have zombies in your closet, you better take the effort to kill them one by one before you put them to rest. Extra effort, of course, but if you don't, some day there will be a heavy rain and they'll all be washed up again together and start to wreak havoc, en masse, which then you won't be able to handle.

Personal note: I'm quite happy to be able to engage in a meaningful discussion here, off-limits, free-thinking, just what comes to the mind. Thank you for joining this, @Lisias :) 

Edited by VoidSquid

On 3/18/2021 at 4:29 PM, VoidSquid said:

I remember my fist boss saying, well, if you have zombies in your closet, you better take the effort to kill them one by one before you put them to rest. Extra effort, of course, but if you don't, some day there will be a heavy rain and they'll all be washed up again together and start to wreak havoc, en masse, which then you won't be able to handle.

Personal note: I'm quite happy to be able to engage in a meaningful discussion here, off-limits, free-thinking, just what comes to the mind. Thank you for joining this, @Lisias :) 

Have you seen the movie Poltergeist ?   Good movie from the early 80s, but not sure how well the effects held up  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.