Screencaps from PAX East 2020

prestja

I've assembled an Imgur album of the most interesting screencaps I could take of the B-roll footage shown at PAX East 2020.

Full album here

Nuclear pulse ship exiting Mun SOI

qWwYxFN.png

A torchship just above an angry red planet

47dUX4B.png

A great look at the revamped Kerbin as well as the new "Wyvern" metallic hydrogen engine (center) surrounded by four "NERV" atomic engines

KlYYBlT.png

A new celestial body and beautiful nuclear pulse rocket

lX7BQnr.png

A new celestial body with a marbled texture (perhaps a moon?)

pVQlnwG.png

Painted batteries

NIdR5Ia.png

A revamped Eeloo

ILNbcVZ.png

Some notable information I overheard: 

• The new "Wyvern" metallic hydrogen engine features good thrust and good ISP)
  • All planets are handmade (no procedural planets)
  • Planet modding is possible (stock Kopernicus)?
  • Nate Simpson re-iterated a FY 2021 release window (any day from now until March 2021)
  • Career contracts might see changes
Edited by prestja
album link

What's this body? I see an atmosphere and ice caps but it's obviously not Duna. Some exoplanet we haven't yet heard about?

xjr7mDI.png

Can't say I'm terribly impressed by the terrain on this one. It is pre-alpha though so I expect they'll improve it...

7AYSOhD.png

Clouds! We already knew but I'm so happy every time I see them. Also like the way the planets are styled, looks more "real" and finely detailed.

Also I feel like we've heard this before(?), but Nate said release is Fiscal Year 2021, "sort of going into march" or something along those lines.

Just now, Brikoleur said:

Can't say I'm terribly impressed by the terrain on this one. It is pre-alpha though so I expect they'll improve it...

7AYSOhD.png

Hmmm, might be stream compression as well screwing with it. But yeah I'm sure they'll improve.

13 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

What's this body? I see an atmosphere and ice caps but it's obviously not Duna. Some exoplanet we haven't yet heard about?

xjr7mDI.png

That's definitely a new one, right at the very end of that footage there is a HYUGE crater filled with liquid, covering large portion of the planet. I didn't catch it though.

2 minutes ago, genbrien said:

did we learn anything other than FY2021?

Nate mentioned that he has an interest in procedural parts, but did not comment beyond that. That is one thing I remember, but I tuned in last minute. I'll have to rewatch the interview from the beginning.

seems Like there isn’t a ton of new info, but I really like the lighting system they have set up, plus all the new part textures.  If nothing else, we’re definitely in for a better looking game.  Hoping that there is more info to come, particularly from the closed door presentations!

Now it struck me, that new planet looks like a gigantic brown eyeball and it scares me.

It would be even worse if this was a moon of even bigger rocky planet, and it was tidally locked. 

Always watching

Always observing

Edited by The Aziz

Where do we find the vid?? @_@

15 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

@coyotesfrontier@MechBFP  No, there is a certain cuteness to the parts...  and the kerbals have a consistency with them.

These parts have a different look.  Almost like the kerbals should be evicted and replaced by something like the Space Engineers.

Yer I have to admit the fidelity/style or whatever of the ships/parts doesn’t seem to match the actual planets. The planets still look Kerbalish but the ships have received enough visual upgrades that they seem like they belong in a different game. 

I actually really dig the more real looking parts! Hopefully they similarly upgrade the worlds because so far there is a mismatch imo and those worlds need some better atmospheric effects and textures etc...

The other thing that really seems to be coming across to me in these prelim screenshots and gameplay footage: 

They definitely have a more robust system for coloring the individual parts.  Looks like they may have adopted something similar to how ships in Homeworld can be colored.  Like each part has maybe a Primary, Secondary, Tertiary pattern that can be assigned whatever color you want.  ...and maybe the part variant would allow for different patterns of tri-color? 

I do like the idea of color-coding my ships for various functions or classes.

17 hours ago, prestja said:

The new "Wyvern" metallic hydrogen engine features good thrust and good ISP)

The new Wyvern engine features magic tech built upon magic tech.

Seriously. couldn't they just have given us a liquid core NTR?

16 hours ago, The Aziz said:

That's definitely a new one, right at the very end of that footage there is a HYUGE crater filled with liquid, covering large portion of the planet. I didn't catch it though.

Conceptually sounds similar to the Hellas impact basin on Mars... the only place on mars where the pressure gets above the triple point of water, and pure liquid water could exist (but the temperature range between boiling and freezing is very narrow, and it would still evaporate anyway.

16 hours ago, The Aziz said:

MFnzJsg.png

I'm sorry, but that looks a bit over the top, I don't really like it. THe planet looked cooler from the other view where we don't see that. I'd reduce its surface area by 50%.

2 hours ago, Dale Christopher said:

The planets still look Kerbalish but the ships have received enough visual upgrades that they seem like they belong in a different game. 

Yea, after seeing that crater, I agree.

On another note, nobody seems to have mentioned this: huge landing gear/struts:

MCuJKoM.png

Looks to me like the top right has an opened cover that a heavy duty landing strut extended from, no?

5 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Looks to me like the top right has an opened cover that a heavy duty landing strut extended from, no?

Good. A lack of large landing legs in KSP has always been an atrocity. 

Edited by MechBFP

4 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

MCuJKoM.png

From that pic...  dunno if that's landing gear though.  Why would it be extended during this stage of the mission?

Maybe it's something that allows you to launch an aerodynamic rocket and then deploy in space to spread out thrust or something?  It would be cool to have something like this where either gear or landing pads, as well as engines, solar arrays, etc. could be mounted to in order to "fan-out" once in space.

Edit: I did see another pic and that is definitely a large landing gear.

Edited by XLjedi