Screencaps from PAX East 2020

prestja

24 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

They won't do terraforming... you know full well people would be hollowing out the Mun to make it into a giant spaceship...  Similar to our own moon.

Dahak?

13 minutes ago, MaxxQ said:

Dahak?

...everyone knows our moon is a giant metallic hollow orb alien spaceship.  C'mon, where you been?

Could the moon be a giant alien terraforming spacecraft?  Ancient Alien Theorists say, "YES!"   ...so ya know, it's fact now.

Edited by XLjedi

3 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

...everyone knows our moon is a giant metallic hollow orb alien spaceship.  C'mon, where you been?

Could the moon be a giant alien terraforming spacecraft?  Ancient Alien Theorists say, "YES!"   ...so ya know, it's fact now.

Was more thinking of this:  https://www.goodreads.com/series/42076-dahak

On 3/2/2020 at 4:23 AM, XLjedi said:

From that pic...  dunno if that's landing gear though.  Why would it be extended during this stage of the mission?

On 3/2/2020 at 3:52 AM, KerikBalm said:

Looks to me like the top right has an opened cover that a heavy duty landing strut extended from, no?

Warp nacelles...

On 2/29/2020 at 4:32 PM, Brikoleur said:

Can't say I'm terribly impressed by the terrain on this one. It is pre-alpha though so I expect they'll improve it...

Are you familiar with a game called Kerbal Space Program? It's very similar to what you're showing. It's pre-alpha graphics were similarly lacking and the expectation was that the virtual worlds would improve with leaps and bounds once the game got out of Alpha.

Just sayin'...

19 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

That ship has sailed, I'm afraid. The dented-fuel-drum junkyard aesthetic is gone already. 

Reveal hidden contents

Personally I was never a fan, but I can see why someone else would miss it, as it does have personality and is consistent with the kerbal-ness of kerbals.

Ha, yeah, that art style is pretty much out of KSP 1 already.  Personally, I’ve always liked sleeker, more modern styles, but I do sometimes miss the Franken-ships.  

However, it looks like skinning options will be more extensive in KSP, so I’m kind of hoping they could work them into the progression system so how.  In early game, you are limited to having more old school, disjointed textures, while later on you have the option to use more unified styles.  That, or just make them as another alternate skin type available at all times.

Alternatively, I think it could be fun if janky old skins (but cleaned up for current tech, of course) as a skin exclusive to players of the first game or members of the forum, though that might get a bit complicated and probably wouldn’t go over well with everyone...:D

On 3/1/2020 at 3:52 PM, KerikBalm said:

The new Wyvern engine features magic tech built upon magic tech.

Seriously. couldn't they just have given us a liquid core NTR?

Conceptually sounds similar to the Hellas impact basin on Mars... the only place on mars where the pressure gets above the triple point of water, and pure liquid water could exist (but the temperature range between boiling and freezing is very narrow, and it would still evaporate anyway.

I'm sorry, but that looks a bit over the top, I don't really like it. THe planet looked cooler from the other view where we don't see that. I'd reduce its surface area by 50%.

Yea, after seeing that crater, I agree.

Agree the crater is a bit over the top, idea is great but its a bit large, 50-60% of the size would look better I think. 
It looks like its an chaotic terrain on the other side, think Mun poles, this is realistic as the shock will pass trough the planet, Hellas crater cause this on Mars. 
And yes you could make the crater deep so you get denser air. It need an island in the center however. 

And agree on metallic hydrogen, think they are too far in the design process to change it. 

Wow! These are looking fantastic! :cool:

Regarding the aesthetics of the parts, I really like them. I never did like the junkyard look many of the parts had until recently - just because Kerbals look goofy, and failing is a big part of the game, doesn't mean that the ships should look poorly built. The Kerbals aren't idiots.

The planet textures look a little basic right now but since this is pre-alpha I expect them to change, especially because the new development studio apparently has access to all of the resources of KSP1 - presumably this includes the planet revamps that SQUAD have been doing.

I really like the colour schemes but I'm not a fan of all the clunky KSP 1 parts (landing legs and batteries sticking out).

I always try to do my best to hide them with minimum clipping. The style is still all over the place after all these years.

On 3/1/2020 at 1:50 AM, XLjedi said:

The parts look great...  but they seem to be losing their "Kerbalness" quality.

I don't know if that's good or bad yet.

The "Kerbalness" is a horrible thing that's been haunting and hurting this game for years now.

Edited by Wjolcz

7 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

The "Kerbalness" is a horrible thing that's been haunting and hurting this game for years now.

Indeed, it's been haunting the game for at least as long as the title included the word "Kerbal"

I s'pose the Kebal's should just be wiped from the game completely.

2 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

Indeed, it's been haunting the game for at least as long as the title included the word "Kerbal"

I s'pose the Kebal's should just be wiped from the game completely.

I suppose anybody who can build rockets knows how to make high quality parts and anybody who doesn't, ends his life with a gruesome death.

Edited by Wjolcz

23 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

How is one related to the other?

They are the last cute and clunky thing left in the game... once we have purged them Kerbal Space Program will be perfect!

1 hour ago, Wjolcz said:

landing legs

Pretty sure that most if not all landers IRL have legs that "stick out". I mostly agree with everything you said before.

1 hour ago, Wjolcz said:

It is not a horrible thing, It has not been haunting or hurting the game, and it has been part of the game ever since Felipe Falanghe thought up of the game (I think :/).

1 hour ago, Dirkidirk said:

Pretty sure that most if not all landers IRL have legs that "stick out". I mostly agree with everything you said before.

It is not a horrible thing, It has not been haunting or hurting the game, and it has been part of the game ever since Felipe Falanghe thought up of the game (I think :/).

Personally, I like the new "modern" styles, but I think in order to please everybody, there should be variants for the "junkyard" textures for people who like those, and the cleaner "modern" styles that we have now should be there for people who like those.

Edited by DunaManiac

1 hour ago, Dirkidirk said:

The thing is the clunkiness and kerbalness emerged out of the way the game was developed. In the beginning, there were just a couple of people who were mostly doing coding, not modelling. There's (somewhere on this forum) a quote by one of the main graphic designers who pretty much came up with the 'kerbal' look and he said he hated it because, as any artist will tell you, the art style evolves and becomes more and more sophisticated. And his parts were pretty much one of the first steps to becoming better at making models (which he did achieve but was no longer a part of the dev team).

Edited by Wjolcz