NCS adapters with oxidizer?

InfiniDelta

So, I'm making a 2-stage to orbit craft. I got the launch stage down, and I'm currently making the second stage.

So I've built the second stage and set things up, But I can't figure out how to get NCS adapters to have Oxidizer in them instead of just liquid fuel.. (I'm using them as the main fuel tank because A) They look cool and B) The payload is rather small, and they hold quite a bit of fuel for their size.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is impossible to do in vanilla, but if that is the case does anybody have a mod that allows this to be done? (Doesn't need to be compatible with breaking ground or making history; only 1.9.1)

Edited by InfiniDelta

Hello, and welcome to the forums!  :)

15 hours ago, InfiniDelta said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is impossible to do in vanilla, but if that is the case does anybody have a mod that allows this to be done? (Doesn't need to be compatible with breaking ground or making history; only 1.9.1)

By golly, there is!  :) 

You have a few options.  One thing is to use ModuleManager to just tweak the part to be LFO instead of liquid-fuel-only (this would require authoring a bit of custom config, which requires some ModuleManager literacy, but I'm sure folks here would be happy to help out if this is what you'd like to do).

Or, you could use some mod that allows switching fuel types for tanks.  By far the most popular is Interstellar Fuel Switch:

Or, another alternative would be my mod SimpleFuelSwitch:

...it has the advantage of being fairly standalone, with minimal dependencies, and is (as the name promises) very simple.  (Which is why I wrote it.  Interstellar Fuel Switch is very cool, but it's fairly big-and-fancy for my tastes and has some dependencies and such, so I wrote SimpleFuelSwitch just to be a very low-key, targeted mod that does just that one thing in a very minimalist way.)

I'm sure there are other mods too, but those are the suggestions I've got off the top of my head.

There are some mods that can change fuel types for you, or if you're feeling a bit more adventurous you could try creating a new version of the part to your specifications. Here's how:

1. Dig into the file tree under GameData/Squad/Parts/Aero/cones/noseConeAdapter.cfg
  2. Copy and paste it
  3. Open the copied file and paste this: 

RESOURCE

{

name = LiquidFuel

amount = 36

maxAmount = 36

}

RESOURCE

{

name = Oxidizer

amount = 44

maxAmount = 44

}

where it says 

RESOURCE

{

name = LiquidFuel

amount = 80

maxAmount = 80

}

Then 4. Change "name = noseConeAdapter" at the top to another name e.g. noseConeAdapterLfOx and you'll have a brand new part in your tech tree next time you open the game that looks and acts exactly like the regular NCS, but has fuel and oxidiser instead of liquid fuel. If you don't change the name then the game can get confused by two parts with the same name. 

Or you could do it the boring way and use mods instead. :rolleyes:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.