Squad: a very VERY important (no its not....) question about the Mun

Anth

1 hour ago, Anth12 said:

So...I am confused about the Mun pronunciation. is it pronounced Muuuuuun or Moon?

I always called it Muuuun....not moon.

I pronounce it as "muuuuun". Because if it was pronounced moon, then why the U?

Edited by Dirkidirk

I've always interpreted this as a joke in which it is spelled differently (coz Kerbalese) but the pronunciation comes out rather much the same as we are used to English (and after proper anglicization).  :)

Edited by Hotel26

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Mun

"Mun, also known as the Mun and sometimes written as Mün"

Under Trivia:

After its implementation, many fans began calling the body Mün, pronounced the same as "moon", believing the original spelling to be a mistake. However, several of the game's developers have been heard referring to it as Mun, pronounced "muhn". In the "Surface of the Mün" title screen, a crashed lander resembling a Kerbal X has the words "Mün or Bust" scrawled on the side. Both spellings are generally accepted, however the spelling in-game is The Mun, despite the fact that planets can have non-english letters in them.

Edited by Anth12

By July 1969, quite a number of the boys in my form were speaking (with) German (accents), although it wasn't being taught.

Wernher von Braun (naturalized American), was something of an idol then to any teenager engrossed in the race to space.

How soon, as a species, we forget important stuff...  quite amazed, actually.

Edited by Hotel26

4 hours ago, Anth12 said:

Mexicans use the german alphabet?.....

Umlauts (or metal dots) is quite often abused for graphical reasons by designers who doesn't fully understand what they're doing :)

Back to the subject I blame my wasted years of learning German so I pronounce it "myn".

I think it's pretty obviously a joke based on being spelt differently but actually still pronounced the same as 'Moon', so the native-English-speaking majority of players are bamboozled into taking a double-take at it. But of course ü and oo are technically not the exact same sound, and the international audience approaches it from a hundred different directions, so the joke is lost and speculations abound.

I expect the lack of an official explanation, apart from the likelihood that anyone 'qualified' to offer one probably left Squad 5+ years ago, is partly due to the curious human compulsion to avoid explaining jokes.

Edited by Rocket Witch

7 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

Pah! That's obviously some kind of *ism (racism, feminism, sexism, or whatever, take your pick).

Can I pick 'truism ' then.  And you didn't say whether you agree with or disagree with it.  Nor did you give reasons.  You've opened up so many questions...

Edited by Hotel26

In Tolkien books the umlaut means just "pronounce this letter not as a part of diphthong".
Maybe Kerbals follow similar rules.

Also I'm glad that in Russian there are now long and short vowels, so I pronounce Mun just like Mun.

P.S.
Was it written in early medieval Old Kerbal like "Mynn"?

Edited by kerbiloid

1 minute ago, kerbiloid said:

Also I'm glad that in Russian there are now long and short vowels

Haven't they for quite a long time already? Or are you referring to the way written Russian is presented to non-native speakers, with all those extra emphasizing signs?

3 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

Haven't they for quite a long time already? Or are you referring to the way written Russian is presented to non-native speakers, with all those extra emphasizing signs?

The vowel length is not distinctive, it just makes words sound familiar and correct but doesn't change meaning of the word.

7 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

Any data on that?

And do you mean natives or people who has English (or some variant there of) as a known language besides their own?

I mean people with English as their first language, born in an English-speaking country. Data, no. It has only been my experience that the majority origin expressed by users is Americans who watched the Moon landings, mostly in their childhood. Simulation games tend to have very large German playerbases, and I have seen significant Polish and Czech representation in the playerbases of other games, but these aren't apparent when it comes to KSP.

Is my claim spurious? Just as a little experiment, I looked at the first five pags of the Steam forums for KSP: all good English apart from two Russian threads.

Then looked at the Steam forum for Euro Truck Simulator 2: 6 cyrillic, 5 German, 1 Turkish, 1 Chinese, 2 hispanic, 1 romanised Arabic, 1 French. Some of the English threads have noticeably worse English than the KSP forum, probably either machine-translated or written by non-native speakers.

I think it is reasonable to say that if you make a game about driving, people from many walks of life can easily relate to it and participate with a low barrier to entry. But a game about going into space? Who cares about that? Well, Americans and Russians competed in the Space Race right? And that's reflected in the forum activity.

Edited by Rocket Witch

11 minutes ago, Rocket Witch said:

I mean people with English as their first language, born in an English-speaking country. Data, no. It has only been my experience that the majority origin expressed by users is Americans who watched the Moon landings, mostly in their childhood. Simulation games tend to have very large German playerbases, and I have seen significant Polish and Czech representation in the playerbases of other games, but these aren't apparent when it comes to KSP.

Is my claim spurious? Just as a little experiment, I looked at the first five pags of the Steam forums for KSP: all good English apart from two Russian threads.

Then looked at the Steam forum for Euro Truck Simulator 2: 6 cyrillic, 5 German, 1 Turkish, 1 Chinese, 2 hispanic, 1 romanised Arabic, 1 French. Some of the English threads have noticeably worse English than the KSP forum, probably either machine-translated or written by non-native speakers.

I think it is reasonable to say that if you make a game about driving, people from many walks of life can easily relate to it and participate with a low barrier to entry. But a game about going into space? Who cares about that? Well, Americans and Russians competed in the Space Race right? And that's reflected in the forum activity.

Did you ponder that non-english natives populates other forums?

1 minute ago, Curveball Anders said:

Did you ponder that non-english natives populates other forums?

Not particularly, but I thought the Steam forum would be a fair stab at that given the variety of languages one can view the client in, and having seen that variety reflected in its game forums.

What I thought I remembered was Scott Manley saying it was pronounced Moon which is he said squad told him

Then Nate for the KSP 2 is told by Squad that its Mun...like bun, or run.

*Shrug*

Ive always called it Mun regardless

Thanks for everyones input ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.