[1.4.3 <= KSP <= 1.12.5] KSP Recall - 0.4.1.0- 2024-0407

Lisias

NOTAM

I did a very minimalist smoke test on KSP 1.10 and TweakScale 2.4.3.15 (clicking on Cancel on the Houston).

Apparently TweakScale 2.4.3.15 is working fine, and KSP-Recall appears to be not needed on 1.10.

In a way or another, this was a preliminary test - there're a lot of things I want to test first before lifting the Houston for KSP 1.10 - if you decide to try it, please, pretty please, make backups of everything!

My findings on the matter will be published on TweakScale's Issue #115: https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/TweakScale/issues/115

-- -- -- post edit -- -- --

Clicking ok Ok closes the game by design. It's not a bug. I did this way because people usually just clicks on OK without reading, and Houstons were made to prevent people from running a potentially problematic game without being aware of the problem. :)

86284501-5ead9700-bbb9-11ea-88a2-4985579

Edited by Lisias
post edit :)

But when I install Recall via Ckan it only installs a folder not a dll (its not creating any dll file) and everything about Tweak Scale gets broken unless I manullay add the dll file which I found from my old backups. By the way although I have 999Recall folder in my gamedata my game still gives me a warning about "Tweak Scale not working properly download Recall" etc so I dont get it whats going on.

Also Tweakscale is not working for me at 1.10.0 version not matter if I use an old save or create another game (you said its working without Recall). Actually its quite strange tweakscale only works for me when I put that dll file in gamedata it doesnt require the "999Recall" folder only the dll and thats it I just dont get it whats going on ?

Edit: I think I got it when I install Tweak Scale as a dependency for another mod from CKAN that dll file is not beign created that is the source of the problem but a manual github install solves it all. Now I am running the game (1.10 version) Tweak scale works fine without Recall I can confirm that.

Also thanks for offering me a help about solving my problem I am sure that its not something about Recall but maybe TweakScale or something else I have already posted the details about the log file in my thread. I am just leaving the link here cause this thread is about Recall not my lag problem lets not drag this up in this tread thanks again.

Edited by fizy45

35 minutes ago, fizy45 said:

But when I install Recall via Ckan it only installs a folder not a dll (its not creating any dll file) and everything about Tweak Scale gets broken unless I manullay add the dll file which I found from my old backups. By the way although I have 999Recall folder in my gamedata my game still gives me a warning about "Tweak Scale not working properly download Recall" etc so I dont get it whats going on.

Weird. CKAN fetches the ZIPfile from SpaceDock, and I just downloaded the SpaceDock file and the DLLs are there...

S48XrK0.png

Things also appears to be fine on the ckan file.

43 minutes ago, fizy45 said:

Also Tweakscale is not working for me at 1.10.0 version not matter if I use an old save or create another game (you said its working without Recall). Actually its quite strange tweakscale only works for me when I put that dll file in gamedata it doesnt require the "999Recall" folder only the dll and thats it I just dont get it whats going on ?

Don't have a clue. Things are working here, and I don't have more reports of this misbehaviour.

I just downloaded the SpaceDock's latest TweakScale zipfile, and it's all there. The ckan file also looks alright.

Perhaps we have a misunderstanding? Would you be talking about 999_Scale_Redist.dll ?

This file is on the zip alright, and the ckan is instructed to copy it into the right place:

62jKqRe.png

"install": [
        {
            "file": "GameData/999_Scale_Redist.dll",
            "install_to": "GameData"
        },
        {
            "file": "GameData/TweakScale",
            "install_to": "GameData"
        }
    ],

52 minutes ago, fizy45 said:

Edit: I think I got it when I install Tweak Scale as a dependency for another mod from CKAN that dll file is not beign created that is the source of the problem but a manual github install solves it all. Also I will upload my log file and post it here things get really weird when I use Recall and Tweakscale so maybe we can found out whats wrong.

Until this moment, I didn't found Recall being necessary, the workaround Recall implements is not needed anymore on KSP 1.10 - at least, I'm not using it on my 1.10 test bed and no misbehaviour were detected yet (but, I have pretty little time to play KSP on working days, so perhaps I just didn't tested enough).

Also note that TweakScale, besides apparently working fine on my machine, is not yet "homologated" to be used on KSP 1.10 - and TweakScale 2.4.3.15 will pesky you remembering you about it every time. I'm currently testing 1.10 and if I don't find anything serious, I will publish a new TweakScale version in the Weekend.

I think I need to see your KSP.log in order to have a clue about what's happening.

On 7/6/2020 at 3:23 PM, adriangm44 said:

I installed the last KSP Recall update and still have the warning at loading screen. Any thoughts?

Install the newest TweakScale (currently, 2.4.3.17). If the problem persists, publish your KSP.log on dropbox, google-drive or something, and also screenshots of the Warning (imgur does a good job on this).

Che (yawn) ers. :P 

Edited by Lisias
There was never such thing as 2.4.3.16... =P

ANNOUNCE

KSP-Recall 0.0.3.2 is on the wild, all distribution channels were updated.

Nothing really new, except that KSP-Recall will (safely and correctly) withdraw itself from parts when it is not needed.

KSP 1.10 users that are migrating their crafts and savegames from  KSP 1.9 with KSP-Recall will receive a complain from KSP about the "Resourceful" Module being missing. This is normal and expected, and no collateral effects are expected by going on - KSP 1.10 does not need Resourceful, and it would be a waste of memory and CPU cycles to having it installed.

if someone knows of a safe way to suppress that pesky warning, please talk to me.

Finally, it came to my attention that some people are telling users that they NEED to use an alternative fork of Module Manager to use KSP-Recall (or TweakScale). This is wrong at best (or just plain slandering at worst).

Everything I publish on Forum is coded to work with add'ons published on Forum - if they work also on better alternatives not published here, it's just a bonus.

Edited by Lisias
Of cuorse, a tyop!!

4 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

@Lisias  Anyway to trigger a process to strip craft of the Resourceful node when the process is launched to calculate the .loadmeta file?

Sounds like a plan. How I do that?

9 hours ago, Lisias said:

Sounds like a plan. How I do that?

KAS at one time used a compatibility patch to swap parts and change modules to migrate saves from legacy KAS to current KAS. I don't know how if this makes use of a poorly documented KSP mechanism or if @IgorZ wrote his own patch handler to deal with the syntax here.  It might be a place to start.

https://github.com/ihsoft/KAS/commit/93c39e8dd7fd582030e8b5a38939160a2a24986b#diff-61887a9cb52341a3b0e4b01c5b395a05

Edited by Tonka Crash

23 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

KAS at one time used a compatibility patch to swap parts and change modules to migrate saves from legacy KAS to current KAS. I don't know how if this makes use of a poorly documented KSP mechanism or if @IgorZ wrote his own patch handler to deal with the syntax here.  It might be a place to start.

Both! :)

He created his own extension for the UpgradeScriptFix. A similar stunt was made to help Atmospheric Autopilot to survive a problem on the control surfaces on 1.8.

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/api/class_save_upgrade_pipeline_1_1_upgrade_script.html

Things are starting to make some sense now!

Thanks for the suggestion!

• 1 month later...

ANNOUNCE

A new Work Around is now available on KSP Recall 0.0.4.0 and it's available for the brave Kerbonauts willing to risk their SAS with this stunt.

On KSP 1.8 and newer, parked crafts (even without wheels) drifts the Heading to the left (or to the right, it's kinda random) when leaved at their own. The drifting is a bit severe, reaching many degrees by minute.

KSP Recall 0.0.4 introduces a fix that alleviate or cancel this drifting. On my tests, I managed to leave a craft alone for 15 minutes without drifting a single degree.

Note: Wheels and Landing Legs also drifts, but different reasons - so, in fact, we have two sources of drifting on KSP >= 1.8 right now. The present version does not (yet) fixes the wheels' drift (besides helping a very little bit, as there's one less source of drifting now).

Additionally, a smarter way of selectively patching the parts in need of the Work Arounds is now in effect, making it feasible to install KSP Recall on any KSP version (needing it or not) without impacting the loading time: the parts are now selectively applied, instead of being applied not matter what and then being cleaned up by code. The cleaning code is still there, anyway, as a last line of defense.

Good Luck!  

-- Screenshots or it didn't happened! --

Setup of the tests:
0000.jpg

4:25 MET - No drifting detected.
0001.jpg

9:09 MET: No drifting detected on the testing vessel (but the Kerbals wandered a bit)
0002.jpg

15:56 MET: The testing craft are steady on her Heading! Success!
0003.jpg

Spoiler

On 25:12 MET, however, I detected a 0.5p Degree drift to the left.
0004.jpg

I think this is due the Kerbals had drifted into contact her, and so induced an additional force.

Further testings are on the works, but the solution looks promising.

This Release will be published using the following Schedule:

• GitHub, reaching first manual installers and users of KSP-AVC. Right now.
  • CurseForge, Right now
  • SpaceDock (and CKAN users), Right now

The reasoning is to gradually distribute the Release to easily monitor the deployment and cope with eventual mishaps.

Edited by Lisias
All distribution channels are updated.

@Lisias, would it be possible to have KSP Recall not throw a "wrong installation  path" freak-out when GameData is a symlink?
I've been using symlinks for some time to allow fast switching of mod-sets for testing etc, and it doesn't cause any problems, except when a mod goes to special effort to resolve paths. KSP Recall seems to be the only one that does...
If it only checked up the tree to GameData, rather than looking at absolute path, that would solve my problem.

Aside, kudos on finding the cause of the random rotation of landed craft, that one has been annoying the hell out of me for a while.

Edited by steve_v

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

@Lisias, would it be possible to have KSP Recall not throw a "wrong installation  path" freak-out when GameData is a symlink?

Ouch... I didn't thought about that. And I should, because my main gaming also uses symlinks, but since it's on 1.7.3, I didn't was caught by this.

It's not exactly a problem on the KSP-Recall, it's a leaking abstraction on the KSPe thingy. Issue here, I will work on it on the first time window.

Perhaps a BIND could be used to work around the problem in the mean time?

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

Aside, kudos on finding the cause of the random rotation of landed craft, that one has been annoying the hell out of me for a while.

Thanks! :)

Now I need to find a way to do the same on the Wheels. We have two source of random yaw forces on the game, I managed to work just one of them - the wheels will be another fight! :D

Edited by Lisias
Tyops!

3 hours ago, Lisias said:

I will work on it on the first time window.

No rush. :)

Perhaps a BIND could be used

Assuming you mean bind mounts, sure, it would solve the problem... But it would also require a bunch of nastiness with polkit to allow me to do it as an unprivileged user.
I'll wait, or I'll remove the check myself if you don't get to it, which I'm sure you will.

the wheels will be another fight!

Wheels are always a fight, one that Squad apparently surrendered years ago. Nice to know there's still at least one brave soldier left. :P

@steve_v @Lisias you can try using junctions instead of symlinks in the meantime, my KSP 1.9 with recall and no other app/game ever complained about them.

https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

I use this frontend, very recommend. After install right click directory: "pick link source",  then "drop as junction" where you want it.

Edited by hendrack

10 minutes ago, hendrack said:

you can try using junctions instead of symlinks

Windows-specific thing is Windows specific. You did see my sig, right?

11 minutes ago, hendrack said:

I use this frontend

Another windows-specific thing is windows specific.

10 hours ago, steve_v said:

Well, I tacitly assumed it was a MS bork, but I was wrong apparently.

I will need the screenshot of the Houston you got, so I can try to understand where else it could had failed. Could you please publish it on the issue? https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSPAPIExtensions/issues/6

-- post edit --

never mind, I finally fired up the right testbed and reproduced it!

Spoiler

90332501-d2eaa100-df93-11ea-99b5-7adbb2c

Edited by Lisias
post edit

13 hours ago, steve_v said:

You get one anyway, since you updated the issue while I was waiting for KSP to load :P

It gave me a hell of a run for the money, but I fixed the stunt. It's working on Macs, and I don't see a reason why it would not run on Linux (but I didn't really tested yet the realpath way).

Please download the DLL on the last post of https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSPAPIExtensions/issues/6 and give it a try, please.

6 hours ago, Lisias said:

Please download the DLL on the last post

Some time later... Success!
Once again Lisias goes above and beyond to nail the most cornerish of corner-cases. :D

Thanks dude, I'm still not going to use CheatScale TweakScale :P, but the dedriftification and other miscellaneous anti-aggravation features from KSP-Recall are very welcome indeed.

Hi, I've got a massive spam in the KSP.log file. It expanded to over 600MB

It's spammed mostly with 
[EXC 22:35:33.560] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KSP_Recall.Driftless.FixedUpdate () (at <68468174186e4582a5c4f9fccd1989fb>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

I think it starts at the moment of landing.