Dragon Gunship (KSP 1.9, BG, Stock)

Eight-rotor helicopter inspired form Avatar(2009)

No SAS or reaction wheels used. Vechicle is well balanced, capable of hovering like quad copter and fly like plane at the same time.
I used 6 KAL-1000 controlles for throttle, collective deploy, pitch, roll, yaw and longitudinal balance.

Max horizontal speed is 52 m/s, climbing rate >600 m/min
Payload up to 10 tons with own weight of 24 tons.
Flight time… a lot.

Flight recommendations:
*use joystick or smooth control(caps lock by default)
*add throttle only as speed rises because COM is in front of Center of Lift. Fans also will turn forward when above 50% of throttle
*use yaw only at low speeds or be ready to compensate roll in opposite direction
*to stabilise craft’s AoA during hover or forward flight use pitch in direction you need and 6th KAL-1000 will slowly change rotors RPM(additionaly)

Controls:

1 - start engines
2 - shutdown engines
3 - toggle bay doors and ramp

Download:

https://kerbalx.com/IkranMakto/Dragon-Gunship

A61AFFy.gif

bBXBnDA.png

DN0UmDo.png

6jvTAD4.png

g9N2YeD.png

YQXSvHw.png

Looks coooool! Have you ever thought about doing a no SAS Orca from Command and Conquer? I was trying a while ago but trying to wrap my head around controllers defeated me u.u

It seems possible it’s just I’m not very good at robotic controllers, pitch is from a rear prop that lifts or pushes down the tail and yaw and roll are from the duel ducted fans that the centre of mass balances on as far as I can tell.

actually! Screw the Orca! Have you thought of doing the small helicopter things from Avatar? You need to complete the set dude!

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, Yaeah said:

Very impressive control scheme and the craft itself is fantastically built

Great job!

Thank you!

6 hours ago, Dale Christopher said:

Looks coooool! Have you ever thought about doing a no SAS Orca from Command and Conquer? I was trying a while ago but trying to wrap my head around controllers defeated me u.u

No, I didn't, but it seems possible. 3 rotors are enough to control every axis. I can try on next weekend. 

340?cb=20120813193935

6 hours ago, Dale Christopher said:

Have you thought of doing the small helicopter things from Avatar? You need to complete the set dude!

I made simple SA-2 Samson, but it could not be controled well by tilting rotors only because of high CoM

Edited by IkranMakto

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.