Longest Kerbal Alive

Mikenike

I have a few questions. How long does your average Kerbal live? What is the longest you have kept a Kerbal alive? Do Kerbals have a lifespan? How old can Kerbals get? 

My average Kerbal lives to like 300 days. Longest I have kept one alive, 12 years, with Jeb.

There's actually no lifespan limit on Kerbals, so you could theoretically keep one alive until the end of time (in the game at least, which I think is one second before year 1000).  Of course that doesn't cover accidents, life support mods of varying flavours (literally, in the case of Snacks), accidents, unplanned disassemblies, accidents, deleting save games, accidents and forgetting to repack parachutes after the last plane disintegrated mid-flight... And accidents

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

How

Why

Do you kill them

What you do

Crashes, Kraken attacks, sitting on the pad during Sat 5 replica launch. 

I also lost a couple in space, presumed KIA, had a crew stranded on Duna a while back, and when I returned to the site to rescue them, they were gone, the base was as I left it. :huh:

Edited by Mikenike
Spelling

2 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

had a crew stranded on Dina a while back, and when I returned to the site to rescue them, they were gone, the base was as I left it.

Now that's the start of a really good sci-fi thriller.

I say you should nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Just now, HvP said:

Now that's the start of a really good sci-fi thriller.

I say you should nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

I know, but I play Xbox.

I may start one soon.

Edited by Mikenike

On 3/3/2020 at 10:24 AM, Mikenike said:

Crashes, Kraken attacks, sitting on the pad during Sat 5 replica launch. 

I also lost a couple in space, presumed KIA, had a crew stranded on Duna a while back, and when I returned to the site to rescue them, they were gone, the base was as I left it. :huh:

Was the word "Croatoan" carved on a rock near the site? ;-)

1 hour ago, Mikenike said:

So, what happens normally to the crews?

I don't know, actually - I was referencing the original Virginia colony mystery in the 1600s - as for what's actually happening to those Kerbals, your guess is as good as mine. :-)

24 minutes ago, panarchist said:

I don't know, actually - I was referencing the original Virginia colony mystery in the 1600s - as for what's actually happening to those Kerbals, your guess is as good as mine. :-)

Oh, I noticed that, but I would think you knew what happens to them.

To answer @Mikenike's question, I have 64 kerbals total and now on Y61 in my current career save. So far, only three dead (not counting quicksaves).

On 3/3/2020 at 12:03 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

I don't kill my kerbals, and even though I use a life support mod, it's Snacks so that when they run out of food they don't die. Theoretically, my kerbals are immortal :sticktongue:

In a fanwork I started a year ago (but stopped due to other projects in KSP and IRL), @roboslacker asked me how long a kerbal's life span is. I answered with this.

Average Kerbal Life Span = 270 Kerbal Years:

• Average Human Life Span = 79 years
  • { (24 * 365 = HOURS IN A HUMAN YEAR) / (6 * 426 = HOURS IN KERBAL YEAR) } * (79 human years) = 270.751 Kerbal Years
  • In other words, (for my fanwork) kerbals tend to live as long as humans - assuming they're not killed or die prematurely from illness.

On 3/4/2020 at 12:04 AM, Mikenike said:

I have a few questions. How long does your average Kerbal live? What is the longest you have kept a Kerbal alive? Do Kerbals have a lifespan? How old can Kerbals get? 

My average Kerbal lives to like 300 days. Longest I have kept one alive, 12 years, with Jeb.

My longest (and most levelled) one is Bob, he has been around for 400 years now.

One of the longest careers I played went past year 16 and in that save I put Valentina in the taxi driver role. She went to orbit and the Mun/Minmus many times, out to Duna probably 6 times and back, and out to Jool twice. Not once did she ever leave the command pod or even land anywhere (maybe I should nickname her 'Mrs. Collins'..), and on the last trip out to Jool she was relegated to crew the Tylo space station while everyone else went home.

Even though this save is on 1.4.3, I've considered going back to it to bring her home. NAH!  :0.0:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.