Next Small Step: RP-1 Career Series

Wiseman

We've got a Mars transfer window coming up, and with our renewed focus on exploring the red planet, we need to make the most of it. We could throw a bunch of individual probes... Or we could practice for the future by assembling a huge multi-probe in orbit!

Not to poke a hole in your grand master plan (Mars-ter plan? ;) sorry) but you seem to have forgotten about the weight of the samples in your return calculations, which might cause some issues for getting back to Earth.

Are you planning on gathering multiple samples with the rover and returning them all (like NASA/ESA are planning, only without the “fetch rover”), or just grabbing the samples available right at the landing site with the lander itself and leaving the rover to do its own thing?

No, that's a good point - I should have a few hundred extra m/s of dV on the return trip, if I've calculated everything else properly. But maybe it's not enough, who knows! That's a problem for future me. :cool:

The way this craft is set up, I've actually got a sample device on the rocket skirt of the lander stage, so I'll be grabbing a single sample and returning with it. My priority is the contract, not the science, for now.

Hope you all had a lovely holiday! I'm back with the launch of the Hermes 1 spacecraft, heading to Mercury by way of Venus. Also, our first crewed Apollo mission!

Forgive the short episode, but I wanted to get this out of the way before our big Mars-stravaganza! We launch two more Hermes spacecraft to the outer solar system in my attempt to turn celestial bodies into Pokemon. Gotta orbit 'em all!

:0.0:

That's a long one.... I'm going to watch it after class. (I'll put some thoughts here after)

Its nice to see the Apollo Era parts getting some use, as well as an advanced interplanetary mission. Maybe I missed it, but did you launch Martian Moonhopper 2? I think you mentioned it in a the previous video. 

Are there any plans for NTR upper stages? Those might be helpful for larger scale lunar, Martian, or outer solar system missions. 

Edited by Spaceman.Spiff

Yeah, I love using the Apollo stuff. Apparently it's going to get cheaper pretty soon with the Block III unlock! Martian Moonhopper 2 is launching in the video below.

Absolutely yes on NTRs, but I'm waiting for the tech to mature a bit before playing with them. I also want to unlock radiators before really digging into sending LH2 on very long journeys. 

Awesome! Another great video!

I too, am a big fan of the Titan rocket, and I’m also one for historical accuracy. But, this is a video game, so I’ve been trying to think of some upgrades to the Titan. It’s probably a bit further down the tech tree, but the RD-180 might be a good upgrade to the LR87 on the Titan. That would also have a better TWR and could possibly accommodate an extended upper stage.

I guess if you had Atlas V parts, it would be better to just use that, but IMO the Titan is really a spectacle!

I’m now rambling a little bit, but I’m really enjoying the interplanetary stuff :D

Keep up the good work!

• 3 weeks later...

The RD-180, huh? I'll keep an eye out! I'm FINALLY on my way to unlocking a bunch more engine parts, which I'm excited to try out!

And yes, the Moonhopper 2 is absolutely targeting the wrong orbit. This oversight has been corrected!

And now, back to your regularly scheduled Apollo mission!

Nice!

I wonder if you could gain some dV on the CSM by using the new solar panels instead of  fuel cells. It would save mass and reduce the complexity a bit. 
You would still have to bring a bit of LOX and extra water, but it would save you the trouble of LH2 boil off.

Loving the series, though trying to avoid spoilers as I'm not caught up - please could you post an updated mod list for any extras you're using? Particularly grateful for the confirmations of what's working for you in 1.8. (Or point me to one I've missed, in which case apologies.)

On 2/9/2021 at 11:50 AM, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Nice!

I wonder if you could gain some dV on the CSM by using the new solar panels instead of  fuel cells. It would save mass and reduce the complexity a bit. 
You would still have to bring a bit of LOX and extra water, but it would save you the trouble of LH2 boil off.

I actually tried that for my custom Apollo Block III service module. I'd need ISS-sized panels to keep up with the monster avionics on that thing!

9 hours ago, Such said:

Loving the series, though trying to avoid spoilers as I'm not caught up - please could you post an updated mod list for any extras you're using? Particularly grateful for the confirmations of what's working for you in 1.8. (Or point me to one I've missed, in which case apologies.)

At this point, you're better off looking to the RP-0 install guide on the wiki. There's a link in the description. I'm not really doing much different than what's on that page, but there's a list I keep up-to-date on the YouTube playlist description.

Also, I forgot to post the last ep, so here's a double feature!

Edited by Wiseman

Ooh, double bill!

edit: I recently discovered that the fifth or sixth configs for the RD-107/108 have a failure rate of 0.06%- yes, 6% of 1%- with no data units at all.

edit2: That inclination change though... Why change inclination AWAY from the station? Just dock with the station, do that contract, then go off and change inclination for the other contract, instead of moving to a retrograde orbit at a high fuel cost then trying to change back to where you were before for even more fuel?

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

On 2/16/2021 at 1:53 PM, jimmymcgoochie said:

edit2: That inclination change though... Why change inclination AWAY from the station? Just dock with the station, do that contract, then go off and change inclination for the other contract, instead of moving to a retrograde orbit at a high fuel cost then trying to change back to where you were before for even more fuel?

Why mess it up instead of do the (now obvious) smart thing? Because to paraphrase Elon Musk, I was too dumb to think of it. :cool: Speaking of which, here's the arrival of the Mars Exploration System!

Edited by Wiseman

• 3 weeks later...

While the lander did sort of explode, our Mars Exploration System mission is not yet complete! Let's wrap up what we can for now, and then move on to another exciting Apollo mission!

One of my favorite things about doing this series is getting feedback from people who know more than I do, and sharing it with everybody! Always glad to pass on good info. :)

We're headed towards Lunette Station! I decided to make my life harder than it would otherwise be, with an attempt to knock out the first 30-day-in-space milestone... around the Moon! This time, the parameters should make this an easier mission... If I packed enough snacks?

Glad it's not just me. Well, no, I wish it was nobody, but at least I didn't bork my install.  Anyways, the Martian Moonhopper 2 arrives at Mars, and so it's time to deploy our science lander!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.